Question about the 'Cast Iron" Frame

/ Question about the 'Cast Iron" Frame #1  

indianaEPH

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M59
I will purchaser a bigger tractor in the near future. Tops on my list is the Mahindra 5035. The specs are impressive in comparison to the competition. There is one thing that bothers me about the tractor. It has a "Cast Iron" frame.

The reason that this bothers me is that cast iron, although stiff and corrosion resistant, can fracture easily, relative to carbon steel. It is possible to form cast iron with good malleability but it is expensive to do for large pieces, like a tractor frame.

Does anyone know of any cracking or failures in these frames? Anyone have similar concerns?

/ Question about the 'Cast Iron" Frame #2  
I will purchaser a bigger tractor in the near future. Tops on my list is the Mahindra 5035. The specs are impressive in comparison to the competition. There is one thing that bothers me about the tractor. It has a "Cast Iron" frame.

The reason that this bothers me is that cast iron, although stiff and corrosion resistant, can fracture easily, relative to carbon steel. It is possible to form cast iron with good malleability but it is expensive to do for large pieces, like a tractor frame.

Does anyone know of any cracking or failures in these frames? Anyone have similar concerns?

Most tractors through the history of tractors have had cast iron frames, and the reliability of it has proven it self well. 10 year as a Mahindra dealer, and I haven't seen a cast iron frame failure.

/ Question about the 'Cast Iron" Frame #3  
My 1981 John Deere has a cast iron frame. All that usually means is the extension frame from the motor forward is cast iron. The 5035 gets it's weight mainly from the heavier cast parts throughout the tractor, and not just the forward section. Look at a picture of a comparably sized Kabota from the rear, or even the Mahindra 5010, and you will see the size difference. Got some pretty impressive tires on it, too. Those 14X17.5" front tires are huge.

/ Question about the 'Cast Iron" Frame #4  
My 1981 John Deere has a cast iron frame. All that usually means is the extension frame from the motor forward is cast iron. The 5035 gets it's weight mainly from the heavier cast parts throughout the tractor, and not just the forward section. Look at a picture of a comparably sized Kabota from the rear, or even the Mahindra 5010, and you will see the size difference. Got some pretty impressive tires on it, too. Those 14X17.5" front tires are huge.

I would love to have a set of those on the front of my 7520. Can't quite understand why Mahindra puts bigger tires on a smaller tractor, but they do. :confused2:

/ Question about the 'Cast Iron" Frame #5  
I would love to have a set of those on the front of my 7520. Can't quite understand why Mahindra puts bigger tires on a smaller tractor, but they do. :confused2:

It is to scare the snow away...... !!!! [ :) ]

/ Question about the 'Cast Iron" Frame
Most tractors through the history of tractors have had cast iron frames, and the reliability of it has proven it self well. 10 year as a Mahindra dealer, and I haven't seen a cast iron frame failure.

Thanks Galen.

That is reassuring.

/ Question about the 'Cast Iron" Frame #7  

I have only seen 7520s with R1 tires. Guess the Industrials are a way bit skinnier and "shorter". Front tire size on my 6520 is 9.5x24, which are 40 inches tall. Nice height, but a little narrow in my book.
hugs, Brandi

/ Question about the 'Cast Iron" Frame #8  
I have only seen 7520s with R1 tires. Guess the Industrials are a way bit skinnier and "shorter". Front tire size on my 6520 is 9.5x24, which are 40 inches tall. Nice height, but a little narrow in my book.
hugs, Brandi

My R4s on my 7520 are 12" wide on the front and 19.5" wide on the rear. So it is not that they are too narrow, but it would be nice to have those 14" wide tires that are on the 5035's. :cool: The tires on my 3215 are 8.5 on the fronts and 15 on the rear.

/ Question about the 'Cast Iron" Frame #9  
My R4s on my 7520 are 12" wide on the front and 19.5" wide on the rear. So it is not that they are too narrow, but it would be nice to have those 14" wide tires that are on the 5035's. :cool: The tires on my 3215 are 8.5 on the fronts and 15 on the rear.

Brian,
It sounds like the 20 series was the only ones shorted with narrow tires.
hugs, Brandi

/ Question about the 'Cast Iron" Frame #10  
Sometimes width does not help much, but diameter sure helps roll over stuff..... Plus, it sure does a GOOD job scaring the snow away.... :) [ Merry Christman Sis...!! ]