Mahindra 10 series vs. 30,20 and 35 series

/ Mahindra 10 series vs. 30,20 and 35 series #1  

northpolefolks

Bronze Member
I just got word back from a dealer I am talking to about a 5035 and he said that the 30, 20 and 35 series are not well suited for the extreme cold, but the 10 series are. He said that the 10 series is better for loader work too as the 35 series does not have really low gears?

We get cold up here, so far the coldest this year was -20 but when it's that cold I don't move my tractors anyways unless it's to move round bales to the cows. I use a block heater and circulating pump heater on my current tractor for 1 hour at least before startup at those temps so if I were to do the same with another tractor I don't know that it would be a problem.

Also dealer said that the 35 series has a smaller front axle, not ideal for loader work.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

/ Mahindra 10 series vs. 30,20 and 35 series #2  
That temperature issue in the Mahindra line is new to me. My 7520 will start at 0F quickly with use of only the standard manifold heater. I use 5W-40 oil and havnt ever had need of auxiliary heat for starting. The 20 series has no cab option tho. Are you wanting a cabbed tractor. Give us a few more of the qualities you need in the tractor you buy.
larry

/ Mahindra 10 series vs. 30,20 and 35 series
I am looking for a 4wd w/loader around the 45-50 hp range. I move large round bales, pull a 7ft brush hog, skid trees as needed after wind storms (60-70ft birch), plow snow on existing driveway and am working on clearing 7+ acres of treed land and turning it into pasture which involves skidding, moving stumps, scraping soil and moving a rock or two.

I don't want a cab as i really like the visibility w/out one when I'm moving around in the trees. I am looking for rear remotes and front if possible for a grapple. Shuttle transmission would be nice, and maybe a Hydro but i don't want to sacrifice HP if it's an issue there.

Last is turning radius. I hadn't thought about it but the dealer told me that he turning radius of the Mahindras is not as good as the Mahindra site states in their fliers. There is no dealer near by so i can't go drive one to see what it's like.

/ Mahindra 10 series vs. 30,20 and 35 series #4  
My guess is that the dealer that you spoke to has the 10 series tractors in stock. The 10 series tractors are built by TYM for Mahindra and while they are very good machines, I do not believe that they are any better than the other Mahindra tractors. The 5035 is a beast for a 50 HP tractor. IF you were to get the HST model, you cannot get any lower ratio than an HST. The 30 series is a big tough economy line of tractors and the 20 series has been discontinued and replaced with the 60 series tractors. The 60 series machines are top of the line tractors and not many if any have any higher specs.

I would try to get in touch with a few other Mahindra dealers. My first Mahindra dealer was thousands of miles away, my current dealer is 650 miles away and is the West Coast distributor for Mahindra tractors. Do some more research, I'm fairly sure that you would be quite happy with any of the Mahindra tractors.

Anyway, just my :2cents:

I agree with the "he has them in stock" perspective. I won't mention the dealer, as it may be a unique situation for his/her dealership, but I can't seem to find many dealerships on the west coast. I will keep looking.

I had not looked at the 60 series but I will. About the only ones I have not looked at.

/ Mahindra 10 series vs. 30,20 and 35 series #6  
I agree with the "he has them in stock" perspective. I won't mention the dealer, as it may be a unique situation for his/her dealership, but I can't seem to find many dealerships on the west coast. I will keep looking.

I had not looked at the 60 series but I will. About the only ones I have not looked at.

I would contact Dave's Tractor. He is in Northern Calif and the West coast wholesale distributor for Mahindra. I'm sure that he can recommend a dealer further up north than he is, but since the tractor would be coming from him anyway, maybe get a shipped price from him. You need to talk to Rob or Dave.

Oh, the 5010 is about a 1,000lbs lighter than the 5035, you tell me which one is heavier duty. ;) The 60 series tractors are A LOT bigger than any of the 50 hp machines and may simply be a lot more tractor than what you are looking for. But then you won't know until you look.

Good luck

/ Mahindra 10 series vs. 30,20 and 35 series #7  
I am looking for a 4wd w/loader around the 45-50 hp range. I move large round bales, pull a 7ft brush hog, skid trees as needed after wind storms (60-70ft birch), plow snow on existing driveway and am working on clearing 7+ acres of treed land and turning it into pasture which involves skidding, moving stumps, scraping soil and moving a rock or two.

I don't want a cab as i really like the visibility w/out one when I'm moving around in the trees. I am looking for rear remotes and front if possible for a grapple. Shuttle transmission would be nice, and maybe a Hydro but i don't want to sacrifice HP if it's an issue there.

Last is turning radius. I hadn't thought about it but the dealer told me that he turning radius of the Mahindras is not as good as the Mahindra site states in their fliers. There is no dealer near by so i can't go drive one to see what it's like.
I have the same impression of turning radius. It seems that size for size the Kubotas have a better turning radius than the Mahindras. I attribute that to 2 things; 1] The loader frame limits the degree that the wheels can turn, and 2] the/my Mahindra has almost zero front overdriven ratio whereas Kub fronts are overdriven a couple percent at least. I sure would welcome some impressions from those that have tried both types of equal size/wheelbase. Also, for the work you mention it would be good to check and compare the undersides for things that could be easily damaged.
larry

/ Mahindra 10 series vs. 30,20 and 35 series #8  
I second Brians advice talk to Dave's tractor, he's honest and will give you good advice. He also sells lots of Mahindras and knows them inside out so he can help steer you in the right direction.
Tom

Thanks for pointing in that direction. I sent a message to Dave's and am going to call them this morning. I like the 5035 w/shuttle. That's kind of what I am leaning towards.

Undercarriage is a huge consideration. My current tractor, Ford 3550 is just about bullet proof down there minus the clutch pedal linkage, but that's within view all the time so no issue there. I will make sure I get a good picture of the 5035 undercarriage, or any tractor I am pulling the trigger on.

Hate to throw the words out here, but I am comparing the LS 5020 to the Mahindra 5035. The Mahindra has the load ability and weight to the ground no doubt, but I have an LS dealer local who is a really good guy thus far. Now, as far as longevity, the LS dealer has alot of experience with tractors, but not as a dealer so if he were to ever quit his dealership I would be in the same spot as ordering outside.

The LS does not seem to be as dummy proof as the Mahindra in quality of materials either. I like the feel of metal fenders and cast iron. Defenitely more durability. The LS has little features that are handy like the 7-pin connector standard and things like that but I have a Dmax for towing trailers and while I might run down the road on my tractor now and then to the neighbors to help them out, I am not hauling a trailer or large implements down the road like I would in other places.

If it were not for the fact that I plan to be in the woods where I could use a 4wd tractor this summer I would just keep using my Ford 3550 but the 4wd feature makes it alot easier to get around, and on top of that the idea of a shuttle transmission is appealing when it comes to my wife moving snow when I am out of town. She drives the Ford out of necessity now if it's to feed the cows when I am gone in the winter, but she hates working the gears.

/ Mahindra 10 series vs. 30,20 and 35 series #10  
I am actually an LS fan, about the best bang for the buck and will be thousands less $$$$ than the Mahindra. But by no means are these 2 machines the same. The BIG plus for LS is the 16x16 synchro shuttle, but IMO that is about it. Yes the LS comes with 2 rear remotes, but only simple ones to my knowledge. The Mahindra 5035 is a top of the line machine. Look at the specs for both and then decide. The Mahindra is heavier, has better quality remotes that I know of along with other things. All stuff that only you can decide on. Maybe consider the HST trans for your wife. Sure would make life easier for her although the power shuttle would be my personal choice. ;)