Mahindra/Kodiak 8' Rotary Cutter

/ Mahindra/Kodiak 8' Rotary Cutter #1  

Farmerboy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 85 / Ventrac 4500P
$3400 a fair price?

Any horror stories with this make/model?

Any happy users?

/ Mahindra/Kodiak 8' Rotary Cutter #2  
This past Fall I got a price on a Kodiak 8' Lift Type for $3,599... was told the MSRP was $4,342. I do not know if the Mahindra branded Kodiaks are similarly priced...

/ Mahindra/Kodiak 8' Rotary Cutter
Maybe I'm the only person that doesn't know this....

The front and rear safety chains for the Kodiak 8-foot Heavy Duty rotary cutter are SOLD SEPARATELY. :eek:

So, the cutter is around $3,400 and the additional safety chains are $375 more!

That's like selling a car without a seatbelt.

I'm tempted to pass on the entire machine simply out of principle.

/ Mahindra/Kodiak 8' Rotary Cutter #4  
You could try looking at (modern ag products) rotary cutter, I bought a 72" cutter, and am very happy with my purchase, 100% american made also. I got the galvinized model. And yes the safty chains are extra.
At lease go to their site and check them out.
david

/ Mahindra/Kodiak 8' Rotary Cutter #5  
Maybe I'm the only person that doesn't know this....

The front and rear safety chains for the Kodiak 8-foot Heavy Duty rotary cutter are SOLD SEPARATELY. :eek:

So, the cutter is around $3,400 and the additional safety chains are $375 more!

That's like selling a car without a seatbelt.

I'm tempted to pass on the entire machine simply out of principle.

I understand what you are saying, but most rotary mowers are priced and sold without chains. And the chains gaurds are actually expensive to make. On a simple 5' rotary, there is nearly 50' of chain. So price some chain, and the metal to make the rest of the chain system, and a little labor to make and to paint...and you can see why they get stupid expensive.

For a while I sold all my mowers with chains and made it part of the price. And my sales dropped way off on mowers. All of the sudden my mowers were hundreds of dollars more. Now mine are optional again. It's a no-win deal.

I'd like to see all brands and all dealers price only with the chains, level the playing field, but that won't happen. So consider those thoughts before you make a final decision.

/ Mahindra/Kodiak 8' Rotary Cutter #6  
I purchased a Kodiak HD 8 last spring. Mine was a "scotch and dent" model with a little fading. Paid $2,200, and was offered a non faded one for $2,600. That being said, every other dealer was $3,400 and up on price. I am very happy with the cutter. My 56 PTO HP runs it through thick brush with ease. It seems very heavy duty build for the price. Chains are not included in the price, but were not on any other brand I looked at either and they were $ 2,000 or so more. It leaves a very nice looking cut and does not streak in the middle at all. I really like mine and would most certainly buy it again. Not sure how to link to threads but I have posted pictures of mine in use in a couple if you want to do a quick search. Here's a few.

Attachments

• image-2662422665.jpg
    image-2662422665.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 865
  • image-2040254049.jpg
    image-2040254049.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 447
  • image-1879575749.jpg
    image-1879575749.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 427
  • image-3424923378.jpg
    image-3424923378.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 642
   / Mahindra/Kodiak 8' Rotary Cutter
I understand what you are saying, but most rotary mowers are priced and sold without chains. And the chains gaurds are actually expensive to make. On a simple 5' rotary, there is nearly 50' of chain. So price some chain, and the metal to make the rest of the chain system, and a little labor to make and to paint...and you can see why they get stupid expensive.

For a while I sold all my mowers with chains and made it part of the price. And my sales dropped way off on mowers. All of the sudden my mowers were hundreds of dollars more. Now mine are optional again. It's a no-win deal.

I'd like to see all brands and all dealers price only with the chains, level the playing field, but that won't happen. So consider those thoughts before you make a final decision.

Dave - your advice is well grounded. I believe I could still subcontract with a local machine shop and a separate paint shop to make these guards cheaper than the $375 that was quoted. But then the question becomes "how much cheaper". For me, the answer is not cheap enough - I don't want to run all over the country side getting these guards made.

At the end of the day, I may have a little sticker shock - but, I won't have buyer's remorse.

Thanks to all for the advice and the reviews on the Kodiak 8-foot HD rotary cutter.