Buying Advice kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #331  
Good evening, fellow tractor owners! I have recently read the entirety of this thread and, wow, a lot of enthusiasm here. My question is not without previous research but I'd like to hear your opinions before I pull the trigger on this Mahindra. My only question left is: industrial tires or turf tires? It would seem the industrials don't have a severe enough tread to ruin a lawn but that fact also makes me wonder if it provides any real difference from the turf tire. Of course, like many people, I'm trying to service many needs simultaneously. I have about 4 acres to keep up, but I also plan on trying to utilize it some to do some light landscaping work with. So I would like to not tear someone's lawn up but neither would I like to find myself stuck if I'm working around my place during the wet season. I'm very much a rural life convert and am mostly a novice about such things. Thank you for your time.

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #332  
As you probably know already, that's all up for debate. My only, very limited, experience is with the R4 industrials. The wheels on my finish mower do more damage than the tractor tires. And they do no damage UNLESS I do something which causes the tires to spin. That's on me, not the tires, IMO. I got this in May, so no update regarding snow plowing. However, I'm in maine... so give me a few weeks for the potential snow traction update :)

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #333  
Welcome! The industrials work great for me on one manicured acre and another native wooded acre with plain jane dirt and tree debris/mulch. Although I use a zero turn to mow, just last month after some heavy rains I pulled around a 48" core aerator loaded with about 350 pounds of ballast. The industrial tires didn't tear any grass up in 2wd on the one acre of St Augustine that we have. The rear diff does a great job of gently getting the power down. I also moved a load of mulch around to the planted trees and flower beds in the yard, and no damage has been caused by the industrials. During my brush cutter forays into the drainage easement, and while boxblading or using the loader in loose dirt or mud, I am very glad to have the industrials. The extra grip of their deeper voids and knobby lugs on the side only come into play when you are in need of them. They also ride very well on asphalt roads from what I can tell. I would only have gone with the turf tires if most of the use were to have been mowing all the time on manicured grass as that would be where they excel.

One disclaimer is that the St. Augustine here is a very coarse grass with runners, and our soil has a lot of clay. Might be different with Bermuda or Fescue...

Good luck - you're going to enjoy your tractor either way!

Last edited:
   / kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #334  
Thanks very much. My inclination has been toward the industrials but I think when I saw the slight clearance advantage of the turf tires I was cast into limbo. It seems to be a 27" rim against a 29" rim, for the industrial and the turf, respectively. So I began to imagine every errant form of debris getting caught up in the undercarriage of the slightly shorter industrial tired tractor. I'm still leaning toward industrial and unless I have an epiphany between now and tomorrow I think I'll commit to it. Very excited about shaking hands and finding a new max25 at my place by Saturday. :)

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #335  
I doubt that you would notice that slight difference of no more than 1" radius/height in just the rear. The front measurements are the same from what I can tell, and I'd have to put a tape on the two different tire types to see what the actual rear difference is on the machine itself. Perhaps the static height of the turfs is lower/closer to 27" due to less rigidity in that design? (Something to think about at least...) They may need to make the actual turf tire a tiny bit larger if it tends to squat more when loaded. At the end of the day they might be the same loaded height as Industrials, but please measure that for yourself to be comfortable.
OK - just got back from the shed with my flashlight and the Industrials appear to give a full 27"+ diameter with whatever pressure the dealer delivered them at.
Have fun!

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #337  
Well in the end I walked away with a Max28XL shuttle shift. I had been misquoted on the 25 and the shuttle shift 28 was only 600 bucks more. At first I liked the idea of having the traditional manual gear shift setup as that is what I'm used to. But this morning I did have a slight buyers remorse kind of feeling for not having hydrostatic because that would've been so easy for both my son and my fiancé to drive. But I AM pleased with having the extra horses and the additional 700 pounds of lift capability in the loader. Also the clearance between the ground and tractor is on up there.

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #338  
Quixotic gentleman said:
Well in the end I walked away with a Max28XL shuttle shift. I had been misquoted on the 25 and the shuttle shift 28 was only 600 bucks more. At first I liked the idea of having the traditional manual gear shift setup as that is what I'm used to. But this morning I did have a slight buyers remorse kind of feeling for not having hydrostatic because that would've been so easy for both my son and my fiancé to drive. But I AM pleased with having the extra horses and the additional 700 pounds of lift capability in the loader. Also the clearance between the ground and tractor is on up there.

I may be wrong, so I do not mean to get your hopes up... But the past few months promo, you have 30 days to return it. Under 10 hours of use by u, and full money back guarantee... Call now... And tell them u want to switch...now. If that promo is still in place, it should not be any problem, other than u need to pay the difference for HST.

PM davestractor for guidance... U may need his help...and he will help.

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #339  
Thanks, Madmax. I'm already over budget on what I thought I was going to be spending so I don't know if I want to dedicate another $1,500 on hydro. In your opinion, is hydro worth the extra expense? Anyone else care to opine on hydrostatic vs shuttle shift?

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #340  
Get in touch with davestractor...even if u decide to keep what u have. PM him with your questions.

I lack the knowledge to help u, but I do not think its $1500 more.... I would think $800 or the like.

Dave would know the facts.