Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 293637383940 LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 398
  1. #381
    Silver Member deathtoblackberries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    225
    Location
    Battle Ground, WA
    Tractor
    Kubota B2920

    Default Re: kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandTractor View Post
    I wouldn't try to talk you out of a Max28. That is about the biggest size that makes sense for one acre though and then only because of the clearing you need to do. I cleared 5 acres with my CK20 before taking on another 15 acres and upgrading to a DK40se. Maintaining (mowing and odd jobs) on a 1-5 acre plot is well within the capabilities of a Max 28 and five foot implements.

    Splurge on a backhoe to dig out the stumps and do other tasks down the road or alternatively just hire someone with a big excavator to take those fir trees out in one piece. They could do it in half a day. While digging stumps is kinda fun, if I had to do it again I would hire someone with a big excavator/grapple to just rip them out of the ground and stack them for me. Much faster, much cleaner and much less wear and tear on the tractor. Figure a good days work for each stump otherwise using a six foot BH.
    I was thinking the small stumps with the Max 28, those 3-8 inch diameter trees. You know the solution for my big stumps is across the street not 200 yards from me, there are 2 giant excavators, they logged 5 acres of dense fir trees over there a couple months ago, used a dozer to split the stumps and the excavators to yank them out and piled them into burn piles. He's got about half the stumps out so far. The guy must own the equipment its sat there now mostly idle all this time, he works at it about every third saturday. Not sure if he's interested in taking out my trees though, I'm told while the trees are large and tall they don't have much value because they grew in the open and so they have about 1,400 limbs and knots.

  2. #382
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,916
    Location
    Red Bluff, CA
    Tractor
    Changes often!

    Default Re: kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25

    Quote Originally Posted by deathtoblackberries View Post
    I was going to buy a 2013 GT 500 for my 50th birthday, instead I'm buying a tractor, way more useful.
    Now that was a tough decision. For sure you will use the tractor much more. I had a 600+ HP 200 mph street car that I just sold. I felt that it was just too dangerous on the street if you actually used much of the HP. I think it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. You can reach 150 mph so fast with that kind of HP, and spinning the tires at 100 mph is a kick, but dangerous and will get you arrested in California. You will probably get more enjoyment out of the tractor actually....yet to have both?

    Back to tractors. You are getting some great advice. Hiring a guy for a few hours with a big machine to pull out the big stumps makes sense. Not that you can't dig out 24" stumps with a small backhoe. I have dug many of them with relatively tiny excavators and backhoes. It might just take an hour or two where a big machine yanks them out in minutes. Essentially, any job that can be broken down into small pieces can be done with even a SCUT size tractor, it just a matter of how much tractor time you want. But a large stump can't be easily broken down, nor can large rocks, so I recommend people look at the largest task they want to accomplish and buy for that. But if doing that makes you buy way too large of a machine, then we look at if you can hire/rent a large machine for a day and knock that one big task out. I'll often tell people to buy a machine that comfortably does all routine tasks and perhaps struggles with the occasional big chore. They then have the perfect size machine for 90% of what needs to be done. Or for the price you were going to pay for the GT, buy two tractors.....

    As far as brand, you will be tickled with Kubota or Mahindra Max or 16 series. Both of these are Japan built with final assembly in the USA. If you put all the specs on a spreadsheet, you will see areas where each will shine. If you are looking at the Max28, then you need to be comparing it to a B not a BX Kubota. I'd sit on both, drive both and see which one you like and get it bought. If you want a much larger backhoe, step up to a 3016 with the 3720.
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

  3. #383
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    336
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Tractor
    2013 Kioti dk40 hst, wright stander zero turn

    Default Re: kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25

    I would seriously fab a ssqa for your bucket, grapple, forks, etc.

  4. #384
    Silver Member deathtoblackberries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    225
    Location
    Battle Ground, WA
    Tractor
    Kubota B2920

    Default Re: kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25

    Quote Originally Posted by DavesTractor View Post
    Now that was a tough decision. For sure you will use the tractor much more. I had a 600+ HP 200 mph street car that I just sold. I felt that it was just too dangerous on the street if you actually used much of the HP. I think it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. You can reach 150 mph so fast with that kind of HP, and spinning the tires at 100 mph is a kick, but dangerous and will get you arrested in California. You will probably get more enjoyment out of the tractor actually....yet to have both?

    Back to tractors. You are getting some great advice. Hiring a guy for a few hours with a big machine to pull out the big stumps makes sense. Not that you can't dig out 24" stumps with a small backhoe. I have dug many of them with relatively tiny excavators and backhoes. It might just take an hour or two where a big machine yanks them out in minutes. Essentially, any job that can be broken down into small pieces can be done with even a SCUT size tractor, it just a matter of how much tractor time you want. But a large stump can't be easily broken down, nor can large rocks, so I recommend people look at the largest task they want to accomplish and buy for that. But if doing that makes you buy way too large of a machine, then we look at if you can hire/rent a large machine for a day and knock that one big task out. I'll often tell people to buy a machine that comfortably does all routine tasks and perhaps struggles with the occasional big chore. They then have the perfect size machine for 90% of what needs to be done. Or for the price you were going to pay for the GT, buy two tractors.....

    As far as brand, you will be tickled with Kubota or Mahindra Max or 16 series. Both of these are Japan built with final assembly in the USA. If you put all the specs on a spreadsheet, you will see areas where each will shine. If you are looking at the Max28, then you need to be comparing it to a B not a BX Kubota. I'd sit on both, drive both and see which one you like and get it bought. If you want a much larger backhoe, step up to a 3016 with the 3720.
    Thanks Dave, even though I'm about 95% sure I'm going with the Mahindra I'm going to go test the Kubota this afternoon. Do you have any good links for aftermarket implements and are both the Kubota and Mihindra standardized so that they will fit? I know the Mahindra dealer told me the Max 28 will take 5' implements.

  5. #385
    Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    15,368
    Location
    Prudence Island, RI
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

    Default

    3PT implements are standardized. Same for FEL implements if the receiver and mount are SSQA ( skid steer quick attach) compatible. Some brands like JD are not. Kubota might be and all the smaller companies pretty much stuck to the SSQA standard.

  6. #386
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,916
    Location
    Red Bluff, CA
    Tractor
    Changes often!

    Default Re: kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25

    Quote Originally Posted by deathtoblackberries View Post
    Thanks Dave, even though I'm about 95% sure I'm going with the Mahindra I'm going to go test the Kubota this afternoon. Do you have any good links for aftermarket implements and are both the Kubota and Mihindra standardized so that they will fit? I know the Mahindra dealer told me the Max 28 will take 5' implements.
    Looks like IslandTractor answered this already. You'll be happy with the Mahindra.
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

  7. #387
    Veteran Member rback33's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,446
    Location
    Kansas

    Default Re: kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25

    Was I the only one that saw the screen name deathtoblackberries and thought he was talking about a smart phone at first?

  8. #388
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,916
    Location
    Red Bluff, CA
    Tractor
    Changes often!

    Default Re: kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25

    Quote Originally Posted by rback33 View Post
    Was I the only one that saw the screen name deathtoblackberries and thought he was talking about a smart phone at first?
    Yep, you are unique, which is sort of like being special.
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

  9. #389
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,114
    Location
    Me
    Tractor
    Mahindra Max28XL HST

    Default Re: kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25

    Quote Originally Posted by rback33 View Post
    Was I the only one that saw the screen name deathtoblackberries and thought he was talking about a smart phone at first?
    That's what I first thought too, as it has been a real discussion for the company this past year. But with the new OS and Phones, they may have the top product again, so we'll see.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke*

    “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” Ancient of Days

    My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37aM75LaEDk&list=PLGLwt3_lSbxxRtjMLHJDpqEK 9vcq9IfsJ

    t

  10. #390
    Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    15,368
    Location
    Prudence Island, RI
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rback33 View Post
    Was I the only one that saw the screen name deathtoblackberries and thought he was talking about a smart phone at first?
    I figured he just had a field overgrown with blackberry bushes.

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 293637383940 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. BX25 vs B2626 with backhoe
    By Scooby074 in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 06:36 AM
  2. Buying Advice BX25 vs B3030
    By DAT in forum Kubota Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 03:46 PM
  3. BX25 vs GR2020, GR2120
    By GetALoadOfThat in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 09:07 AM
  4. BX 25 Vs B3000 on hills
    By billhall in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 07:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.