Buying Advice kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #381  
I wouldn't try to talk you out of a Max28. That is about the biggest size that makes sense for one acre though and then only because of the clearing you need to do. I cleared 5 acres with my CK20 before taking on another 15 acres and upgrading to a DK40se. Maintaining (mowing and odd jobs) on a 1-5 acre plot is well within the capabilities of a Max 28 and five foot implements.

Splurge on a backhoe to dig out the stumps and do other tasks down the road or alternatively just hire someone with a big excavator to take those fir trees out in one piece. They could do it in half a day. While digging stumps is kinda fun, if I had to do it again I would hire someone with a big excavator/grapple to just rip them out of the ground and stack them for me. Much faster, much cleaner and much less wear and tear on the tractor. Figure a good days work for each stump otherwise using a six foot BH.

I was thinking the small stumps with the Max 28, those 3-8 inch diameter trees. You know the solution for my big stumps is across the street not 200 yards from me, there are 2 giant excavators, they logged 5 acres of dense fir trees over there a couple months ago, used a dozer to split the stumps and the excavators to yank them out and piled them into burn piles. He's got about half the stumps out so far. The guy must own the equipment its sat there now mostly idle all this time, he works at it about every third saturday. Not sure if he's interested in taking out my trees though, I'm told while the trees are large and tall they don't have much value because they grew in the open and so they have about 1,400 limbs and knots.

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #382  
I was going to buy a 2013 GT 500 for my 50th birthday, instead I'm buying a tractor, way more useful.

Now that was a tough decision. For sure you will use the tractor much more. I had a 600+ HP 200 mph street car that I just sold. I felt that it was just too dangerous on the street if you actually used much of the HP. I think it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. You can reach 150 mph so fast with that kind of HP, and spinning the tires at 100 mph is a kick, but dangerous and will get you arrested in California. You will probably get more enjoyment out of the tractor actually....yet to have both?

Back to tractors. You are getting some great advice. Hiring a guy for a few hours with a big machine to pull out the big stumps makes sense. Not that you can't dig out 24" stumps with a small backhoe. I have dug many of them with relatively tiny excavators and backhoes. It might just take an hour or two where a big machine yanks them out in minutes. Essentially, any job that can be broken down into small pieces can be done with even a SCUT size tractor, it just a matter of how much tractor time you want. But a large stump can't be easily broken down, nor can large rocks, so I recommend people look at the largest task they want to accomplish and buy for that. But if doing that makes you buy way too large of a machine, then we look at if you can hire/rent a large machine for a day and knock that one big task out. I'll often tell people to buy a machine that comfortably does all routine tasks and perhaps struggles with the occasional big chore. They then have the perfect size machine for 90% of what needs to be done. Or for the price you were going to pay for the GT, buy two tractors.....

As far as brand, you will be tickled with Kubota or Mahindra Max or 16 series. Both of these are Japan built with final assembly in the USA. If you put all the specs on a spreadsheet, you will see areas where each will shine. If you are looking at the Max28, then you need to be comparing it to a B not a BX Kubota. I'd sit on both, drive both and see which one you like and get it bought. If you want a much larger backhoe, step up to a 3016 with the 3720.

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #383  
I would seriously fab a ssqa for your bucket, grapple, forks, etc.

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #384  
Now that was a tough decision. For sure you will use the tractor much more. I had a 600+ HP 200 mph street car that I just sold. I felt that it was just too dangerous on the street if you actually used much of the HP. I think it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. You can reach 150 mph so fast with that kind of HP, and spinning the tires at 100 mph is a kick, but dangerous and will get you arrested in California. You will probably get more enjoyment out of the tractor actually....yet to have both?

Back to tractors. You are getting some great advice. Hiring a guy for a few hours with a big machine to pull out the big stumps makes sense. Not that you can't dig out 24" stumps with a small backhoe. I have dug many of them with relatively tiny excavators and backhoes. It might just take an hour or two where a big machine yanks them out in minutes. Essentially, any job that can be broken down into small pieces can be done with even a SCUT size tractor, it just a matter of how much tractor time you want. But a large stump can't be easily broken down, nor can large rocks, so I recommend people look at the largest task they want to accomplish and buy for that. But if doing that makes you buy way too large of a machine, then we look at if you can hire/rent a large machine for a day and knock that one big task out. I'll often tell people to buy a machine that comfortably does all routine tasks and perhaps struggles with the occasional big chore. They then have the perfect size machine for 90% of what needs to be done. Or for the price you were going to pay for the GT, buy two tractors.....

As far as brand, you will be tickled with Kubota or Mahindra Max or 16 series. Both of these are Japan built with final assembly in the USA. If you put all the specs on a spreadsheet, you will see areas where each will shine. If you are looking at the Max28, then you need to be comparing it to a B not a BX Kubota. I'd sit on both, drive both and see which one you like and get it bought. If you want a much larger backhoe, step up to a 3016 with the 3720.

Thanks Dave, even though I'm about 95% sure I'm going with the Mahindra I'm going to go test the Kubota this afternoon. Do you have any good links for aftermarket implements and are both the Kubota and Mihindra standardized so that they will fit? I know the Mahindra dealer told me the Max 28 will take 5' implements.

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #385  
3PT implements are standardized. Same for FEL implements if the receiver and mount are SSQA ( skid steer quick attach) compatible. Some brands like JD are not. Kubota might be and all the smaller companies pretty much stuck to the SSQA standard.

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #386  
Thanks Dave, even though I'm about 95% sure I'm going with the Mahindra I'm going to go test the Kubota this afternoon. Do you have any good links for aftermarket implements and are both the Kubota and Mihindra standardized so that they will fit? I know the Mahindra dealer told me the Max 28 will take 5' implements.

Looks like IslandTractor answered this already. You'll be happy with the Mahindra.

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #387  
Was I the only one that saw the screen name deathtoblackberries and thought he was talking about a smart phone at first? :)

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #388  
Was I the only one that saw the screen name deathtoblackberries and thought he was talking about a smart phone at first? :)

Yep, you are unique, which is sort of like being special. :cool:

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #389  
That's what I first thought too, as it has been a real discussion for the company this past year. But with the new OS and Phones, they may have the top product again, so we'll see.

/ kobota bx25 vs mahindra max 25 #390  

I figured he just had a field overgrown with blackberry bushes.