5035, 5530, 6530 4WD

/ 5035, 5530, 6530 4WD #1  

Ram4x4

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5035HST
Hello,

New to the forum. I'm looking to buy a tractor this summer and I have it narrowed down to a Mahindra (price vs performance) and three potential models, but have a few questions.

We have 15 acres in western Pa and a dirt/gravel driveway about 500' or so long. The acreage is about 98% field that I intend to brush hog to keep it maintained. It does need some smoothing work. The driveway needs work and I also intend to do snow removal and some small stump pulling.

I've only owned one tractor previously. When I was stationed in Texas (I'm now retired Air Force) I had a rather beat up old David Brown 880 with a 6' cutter. It served it's purpose for hogging the 5 acres we had there (lots of coastal grass which is some tough to cut stuff!).

Now with three times the land and additional work needed I've decided I am going to purchase new (it will be nice to have everything work on the tractor!). Soooo, the question is how much tractor do I need?

I've always been of the mind set that a little too much is better than not enough, but I don't want to go crazy.

So far I think I have things narrowed down to the following three models:

5035 4WD HST
5530 4WD
6530 4WD

Things I see as pros and cons for each:

5035 HST - I like the idea of the HST, just not sure how durable it is vs regular gears. I like the idea of a 4 cylinder normally aspirated engine vs the 3 cylinder turbo in the 30 series (or is that an unfounded issue?). Slightly smaller so easier to maneuver. Wish it was a cat 2 3-point vs cat 1 (seems most implements are cat 2).

5530 - A few more PTO HP, shuttle and gears, stronger hydraulics, both 3-pt and loader.

6530 - same as 5530 but more HP.

I plan on a FEL and also wondering if the 41HP PTO on the 5035 can handle a 7' cutter? (looking at Woods brand medium duty cutters).

What would you guys recommend? Is the 6530 too much tractor for my acreage? Is the HST on the 5035 up to the abuse over time?

I've sat on a 5530 and the controls are similar to my old David Brown, although admittedly the steering wheel on the 5530 seemed too low, even after lowering the seat (I felt like I was leaning forward and reaching down too much). I have not sat on or driven a 5035.

Thanks!

/ 5035, 5530, 6530 4WD #2  
The HST will have less to tear up versus the gear.
Easier to operate if your going to allow novice operators to run it.
It will also have a better resale value.
Keep in mind hydro trans have been use in the heavy equipment industry for years!
The 5035 is one heck of a machine for the money!
This machine will handle all of your job you listed with ease! and then some.
I will take a 72" cutter and laugh at it!!:laughing:
Check your Pms. I sent you a message.

/ 5035, 5530, 6530 4WD
Thanks Rick!

I was leaning toward the 5035 HST and was hoping someone would say it is plenty, etc. I will be the only operator, but I just like the ease and convenience of an HST. The old David Brown was easy enough with the clutch and gears for cutting, but then again, I didn't have a FEL on it either so not much back ups and turning frequently.

I didn't get the PM you sent (unless it takes a while for them to go through). I did see your link and went to your website, however you are pretty much on the other side of the state from me. I have a few Mahindra dealers within 20-30 miles of me over on this end.

I haven't priced a 5035 HST yet, so it is going to depend on what it costs. I'm trying to stay around $25,000-$26,000 range with a FEL and 7' cutter. I will be looking at financing it...preferably the 0% for 60 months deal (if this tractor qualifies for that) as I really don't want to go 72 or 84 months.

/ 5035, 5530, 6530 4WD #4  
Check now and feel free to call if you want!

/ 5035, 5530, 6530 4WD #5  
You can buy the Cat 2 extendable ends for to convert the 5035 3pt to Cat 2. I saw them online somewhere.... I am thinking about doing that when I get around to ordering a set of repair manuals.... [ someday... :) ] They don't look hard to swap out. It is a stock part, so Wallace should be able to fix you up.....

/ 5035, 5530, 6530 4WD
I think that's what I would do.

Why would Mahindra put cat 1 on this tractor with the ratings it has on the hydraulics?

I can see cat 1 on the smaller tractors in the 25-35 HP range, but on a tractor like the 5035 that doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, after talking with Rick, I think the 5035 is where I'm heading. One thing I forgot to consider too is it needs to fit into the garage area on the end of my barn and I'm not sure a 30 series will (with the rops and vertical exhaust it might be too tall)...and I'm not interested in modifying the barn door/roof line on the barn to accommodate that. Width is no issue, but height is and I'm not about to let it sit outside in the weather!

/ 5035, 5530, 6530 4WD #7  
Ram4x4

I live down in Parker. I had a 3215HST Tractor / Loader / Backhoe (TLB), and am moving up to a 7060 TLB. I was contemplating a 5035, but got a good deal on the 7060.

I got the new machine from RNF Sales and Service between Sandy Lake and Greenville. RNF just happens to have a 5035HST on the lot. That thing looks like a tank - has the R4 tires and a loader. The Sales Manager is Ben - nice guy, very accomodating, competitive pricing. Also, he offers a package deal on implements - you should contact him for details. From what I remember, he also has the 5530 and the 6530 on the lot. It's definitely worth your time to take a trip up to see him.

Good luck on your search. You won't be disappointed in the Mahindra brand.

Out of curiosity, do you have a son Jay?

/ 5035, 5530, 6530 4WD
I do have a son, but his name is Josh, and he is a junior Fire Police member at the Parker VFD!

Emlenton is closer (I'm up in Nickleville), but one of his school buddies is also a member there, so he wanted to join Parker. Not a big deal, it's not a far drive for us and he usually rides the school bus home with his buddy so he can go to the meetings.

The wife and I don't mind picking him up...gives us an excuse to stop into the little pizza shop in Foxburg to grab a sub before we pick him up (their Italian sub is pretty good!).

He'll be 16 next month, so it won't be long till he's driving any way.

Man, it's a small world :)

/ 5035, 5530, 6530 4WD #9  
Of the tractors that you have listed and the work to be done, the 5035 would be the machine for me. :thumbsup: It is one nice machine. I might take a look at the power shuttle though, just a bit nicer to be able to operate at lower RPMs.
Be sure to let us know what you end up getting. ;)

/ 5035, 5530, 6530 4WD
How or why would the PST version allow operation at a lower RPM?