Broke down and did it today

/ Broke down and did it today #21  
Started the fabrication of hand controls today. Put a pillar block on the far right side of the foot rest area, bolted solid stock to the shaft and welded the 3/4" steel to the solid stock so there is nothing permanent to the tractor if work needs to be done. Welded a temporary lever to see where the permanent one should go and went out and tried the new toy.

It felt great, even managed to scrounge up a little gravel to scrape up with the bucket. Two problems, the mower deck will not go down and all the lights work except the headlights. It was a mixed day, half happy to be almost ready to go and majorly bummed the deck will not go up and down. Guess I will be seeing how the service is at the dealer. :confused3:

You sound like a handy guy.

Could the mower be latched up? I have not installed a mower on a Max 22 yet (ours will be in this week), but if I recall correctly, you can latch them up so that you can keep them out of the way when you are working the three-point for box scraping or whatever. That way the mower doesn't lower everytime you lower the box. You might check that.

On the headlights, the grill is removed to install the battery during final assembly. I bet the plug did not get plugged in.

/ Broke down and did it today
Not sure if that is the case with the mower, will check tomorrow. I am handy, but the truth is I helped my friend who is a premier body guy. I wish I could take the credit, although I did design the setup. The mower was lowering and raising when the dealer delivered it. Is it possible to hook itself? Where would that hook be?

/ Broke down and did it today #23  
The hooking mechanism is done on the rear drawbar. Not that I have any of them as yet, but I remember seeing that at national dealer meeting.

/ Broke down and did it today #24  
Thanks Galen, I think you are right.

Make sure the rate of decent valve hasn't been closed. If it is closed, the three-point will go up, but not down.

HAH!!!! Thank you, I thought that might be it but the manual is at the show where I am working on the tractor. Thanks so much, you guys are great!

DSC_3598.jpgDSC_3599.jpgDSC_3600.jpgFinished product! Final version of the hand controls, well, other than trimming the shaft they connect to.

http://youtu.be/Kx94wmhXL7c poor video of first try his morning.

Last edited:
   / Broke down and did it today #27  
Just watched your video. Totally Amazing!!! Congrats on gettin it all fabricated and working!

/ Broke down and did it today #28  
Kootch, I'm totally impressed, not just with your fabrication but with your attitude. I also suspect that there is a market for a product like this. You might have just started a business for yourself making these. Great job.

/ Broke down and did it today #29  
Kootch, wonderful work. As I was watching the video, I wondered how you can efficiently operate the joystick, and the HST pedal lever? My hat's off to you, sir.

First of all, I am not to credit for this. My friend Jr. designed the first control with me in his body shop and then I drew up some plans based off of the initial set, with modifications so I could operate it more easily, so I can't take credit where it is not due. Then my buddy Cliff got a couple of hunks of steel from scrap and the plans were modified again. He would have finished the job if he didn't end up in the E.R., so I did some cutting and shaping and had a buddy do my welds for me. I obviously left the wrong impression, and my friends who helped deserve most of the credit.

Efficiency is a relative term Achingback, but I can get the job done and pretty darned fast. I use my forearm on the controls and my hand on the loader lever when needed and am able to do a pretty good job of multitasking with that arm, but at times I do actually reach over with my left arm to operate the loader.