0% doesn't always mean 0%

/ 0% doesn't always mean 0% #101  
There are many ways to look at the pricing issue. In a pure sense, the real price of an item is found when the item is stripped of "included" costs that are already factored into the price. An item with free delivery has delivery costs already factored into the price. It is not free in reality, but included. An item advertised at a certain price with 0% financing has the cost associated with that "free" financing built in. I can price all my tractors with free delivery and free 0%, and I sometimes do that with certain models. But what if a guy comes in with $100 bills instead of financing, and a truck and trailer to haul it home? I could calculate the cost of the 0% and for this discussion lets say it is $1500. And let's say the free delivery actually cost me on average $175. Is it wrong to give this cash customer the tractor for $1500 + $175 = $1675 discount for the items that were packed into the initial advertised price? That is one way to price things. Pack into the price those things that customers desire, then offer some discounts for the customer not needing those subsidized benefits.

Likewise, a dealer could advertise bare price for a cash (or standard non-subsidized finance rate) deal, FOB dealer lot. If a guy wants delivery, he pays $2/mile. If low rate financing is desired, the price goes up the same amount it costs me to provide 0% financing. I generally price a few models in this manner. The bargain hunter loves it, the 0% guy does not. We really do not like the thought that these free things aren't actually free.

Mahindra is upfront with the dealers on what the low rate financing actually costs, and allows the dealers to price in whatever manner they prefer. The problem is that people really, really want to think that 0% financing is free. It isn't. It is often a good deal if you pencil it out, even with the raised initial price, but it isn't actually free.

One other tactic is to offer the 0% and then offer no discount if you pay cash. Get out the spreadsheets and figure out how many people would take you up on the offer and spread those costs across all models. That works and makes the 0% buyer feel really good, but as a cash buyer myself for most items, I really do not like subsidizing free interest for others.

As a dealer, I like hearing what people think about pricing methods. Because no matter what a dealer or company figures out and thinks is fair, the perception of the customer is hugely important. At the end of the day, we need to sell tractors and be fair to both our cash and our finance buyers.

/ 0% doesn't always mean 0% #102  
There are many ways to look at the pricing issue. In a pure sense, the real price of an item is found when the item is stripped of "included" costs that are already factored into the price. An item with free delivery has delivery costs already factored into the price. It is not free in reality, but included. An item advertised at a certain price with 0% financing has the cost associated with that "free" financing built in. I can price all my tractors with free delivery and free 0%, and I sometimes do that with certain models. But what if a guy comes in with $100 bills instead of financing, and a truck and trailer to haul it home? I could calculate the cost of the 0% and for this discussion lets say it is $1500. And let's say the free delivery actually cost me on average $175. Is it wrong to give this cash customer the tractor for $1500 + $175 = $1675 discount for the items that were packed into the initial advertised price? That is one way to price things. Pack into the price those things that customers desire, then offer some discounts for the customer not needing those subsidized benefits.

Likewise, a dealer could advertise bare price for a cash (or standard non-subsidized finance rate) deal, FOB dealer lot. If a guy wants delivery, he pays $2/mile. If low rate financing is desired, the price goes up the same amount it costs me to provide 0% financing. I generally price a few models in this manner. The bargain hunter loves it, the 0% guy does not. We really do not like the thought that these free things aren't actually free.

Mahindra is upfront with the dealers on what the low rate financing actually costs, and allows the dealers to price in whatever manner they prefer. The problem is that people really, really want to think that 0% financing is free. It isn't. It is often a good deal if you pencil it out, even with the raised initial price, but it isn't actually free.

One other tactic is to offer the 0% and then offer no discount if you pay cash. Get out the spreadsheets and figure out how many people would take you up on the offer and spread those costs across all models. That works and makes the 0% buyer feel really good, but as a cash buyer myself for most items, I really do not like subsidizing free interest for others.

As a dealer, I like hearing what people think about pricing methods. Because no matter what a dealer or company figures out and thinks is fair, the perception of the customer is hugely important. At the end of the day, we need to sell tractors and be fair to both our cash and our finance buyers.

0% is not free. If you finance through any company there is always cost associates to it....fee for filing...credit check fee...hourly salary for the person at the finance company...the fee for even using that particular company..etc.....it just means at the end of the term you will have paid more for your tractor than someone who pays cash out right.
No finance company can offer you a 0% rate without it costing someone something...that someone is usually the buyer and not the dealer.

/ 0% doesn't always mean 0% #103  
Funny thing is....just made me think of not buying a 4035 based on this breakdown. Am now looking for a little less tractor.

Why?

Because you think the 4035 is going to be too much tractor? Or because you don't like the idea of 'paying' for the 0% financing?

If you think the 4035 is the best tractor, then buy it and go with the financing that suits you the best. I went with the 0% through Mahindra because for me it just made the most sense - I know that my payment is going to be the same for the next 60 months and I am not paying any intererst. Did I pay a little more up front? Yes. But the total of the payments - just like you detailed above - was LESS to pay MORE for the tractor up front and use the 0% financing than it was to pay less up front but pay interest for 60, 72 or 84 months.

And you haven't brought it up, but I have seen others comment on wanting to pay their tractors off before the end of their loans. Why? Do these folks really have no credit card debt, no auto loan debt, nothing else that has a higher interest rate than their tractor loan? I would bet that even Mahindra's 4.25% rate is lower - probably way lower - than any other interest rate that a person is paying.

/ 0% doesn't always mean 0%
The 4.15% is higher than any loan I have had in at least 8 years, including my mortgage, so it isn't that great of a rate, but credit unions, especially company ones like mine, almost always beat that rate. I'm not complaining about Mahindra's rate, it is what it is, but if you have great credit there are a lot of better options. Negotiate a cash price and pay with a check. I got 1.9% on my tractor with my credit union last March. I could have gone as long as 6 years, but decided 4 was enough to make it painless.

/ 0% doesn't always mean 0% #105  
Just an FYI on the Mahindra financing. I thought I was negotiating with the intent of taking advantage of the 0% for 5 years. After all was said and done, I learned I needed to write a check for that privilege. I ended up going with the regular financing with the intent of refinancing with my credit union at 2.99%, but I was rather angry with how the process worked. The owner knew I was ticked and threw in a weight box (JD) and painted it Mahindra red, but still, I could not find anywhere on the website where I would have to write a check for $1375.

kootch88 - I just saw that you were the OP in this thread. Just curious - why exactly where they asking you to write a check for $1375. How was that connected to the 0% financing offer? My 0% for 60 months did not require me to pay anything in advance.

I negotiated a price thinking there was also 0% financing, but in order to get that I had to write a check for $1375, which really pissed me off. It should have been disclosed right away. I could have added the $1375 to the price too, since my credit was strong enough. It wasn't the money that really pissed me off, it was the maneuvering I felt had taken place. He said he told me, but I am pretty **** about everything, especially money, so I doubt he did. But I love the tractor and got my own financing so I am happy in the end.

FYI, my rate was not 1.9 but 2.9% I had a typo in a post a few back.

/ 0% doesn't always mean 0% #108  
kootch88 - I just saw that you were the OP in this thread. Just curious - why exactly where they asking you to write a check for $1375. How was that connected to the 0% financing offer? My 0% for 60 months did not require me to pay anything in advance.
That is because your dealer didn't bring up the subject, he just silently included it in the price he quoted you on the tractor.

/ 0% doesn't always mean 0% #109  
That is because your dealer didn't bring up the subject, he just silently included it in the price he quoted you on the tractor.

Which I knew because he was right up front with quoting me three prices for the tractor - 0% for 60 months, 1.9 % for 72 months or x.x% for 84 months. (I don't recall that last rate.) My dealer never made a secret of the fact that the discounted financing came at a price.

/ 0% doesn't always mean 0% #110  
The 4.15% is higher than any loan I have had in at least 8 years, including my mortgage, so it isn't that great of a rate, but credit unions, especially company ones like mine, almost always beat that rate. I'm not complaining about Mahindra's rate, it is what it is, but if you have great credit there are a lot of better options. Negotiate a cash price and pay with a check. I got 1.9% on my tractor with my credit union last March. I could have gone as long as 6 years, but decided 4 was enough to make it painless.
In my experience, not many people can beat even the 3.99% rate on a tractor purchase at outside banks or credit unions. If you can, then it is a no brainer to take the best cash price and then just bring in the check from the CU.

Low interest is becoming the norm. Young folks will be surprised one day when it is 10% to buy a tractor again. It will happen I suspect. Now is a good time to buy. Low interest rates means it is cheaper for companies to floor plan tractors and for consumers to buy them. Once rates tick back up, true costs to purchase may go up significantly as it affects costs at many levels in the food chain.