Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    2012 Mahindra Max 22, JD Stx38, JD Stx46

Default 0% doesn't always mean 0%

Just an FYI on the Mahindra financing. I thought I was negotiating with the intent of taking advantage of the 0% for 5 years. After all was said and done, I learned I needed to write a check for that privilege. I ended up going with the regular financing with the intent of refinancing with my credit union at 2.99%, but I was rather angry with how the process worked. The owner knew I was ticked and threw in a weight box (JD) and painted it Mahindra red, but still, I could not find anywhere on the website where I would have to write a check for $1375.

I am glad the dealer helped me work through it after all, because I was about an inch away from going to a lesser Kubota on principle.

On a side note, my local dealer owes Davestractor a commission for saving the sale. He was great in providing quality information and making me realize the dealer was not gouging me, which is what I thought as I looked at the ceiling until 3:45 this morning.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    L2800.

Default Re: 0% doesn't always mean 0%

Quote Originally Posted by kootch88 View Post
    ...I am glad the dealer helped me work through it after all, because I was about an inch away from going to a lesser Kubota on principle...
    Yea, that would only have cost you $1,000 more... It's not really 0% if you have to pay extra to get it.

Tractor
    1026R

Quote Originally Posted by kootch88 View Post
    Just an FYI on the Mahindra financing. I thought I was negotiating with the intent of taking advantage of the 0% for 5 years. After all was said and done, I learned I needed to write a check for that privilege. I ended up going with the regular financing with the intent of refinancing with my credit union at 2.99%, but I was rather angry with how the process worked. The owner knew I was ticked and threw in a weight box (JD) and painted it Mahindra red, but still, I could not find anywhere on the website where I would have to write a check for $1375.

I am glad the dealer helped me work through it after all, because I was about an inch away from going to a lesser Kubota on principle.

On a side note, my local dealer owes Davestractor a commission for saving the sale. He was great in providing quality information and making me realize the dealer was not gouging me, which is what I thought as I looked at the ceiling until 3:45 this morning.

Ouch. That would make me angry as a hornet. I would 2nd your thoughts on Davestractor- he was the only dealer I could get information from, very helpful. I decided on JD (and got their 0%financing), but the reason I didn't go Mahindra was mostly proximity to dealer.

Lots of folks looking at these new Max machines, some will undoubtedly have their interest peaked (no pun intended) by your recent experience.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra -------------

As I have said on TBN before, the only way to compare the price on a tractor you are financing, is to compare the monthly payment for X number of months. I try to explain this as soon as the customer and I mention financing. And by the way, dealers having to buy 0% rates isn't just a Mahindra thing, it is just that Mahindra is being up front about it.
    Galen LaWall
    Your Mahindra Tractor Dealer
    185 Pearl Street
    Batavia, New York 14020

Tractor
    Mahindra 3215HST

Quote Originally Posted by kootch88

Couldn't you have gotten the financing through the credit union first and then paid the cash price for the tractor??

'06 Mahindra 3215HST,KMW ML111 FEL,BushHog SBX65 Boxblade,BushHog RZ160 Rotary Cutter,Kasco KOS604 Seeder,Cosmo 250 3PT Spreader,Southern 6' Landscape Rake,Rhino LR 6' Rear Blade

Tractor
    Mahindra 5035, JD 2240, 420

Another way to think of it, is that while you are getting the loan for 0%, you are paying for the credit check, loan filing fee, monthly servicing of the loan, and other paper work. You can not think that they would do all that for free, too... The people at Mahindra Finance have to be paid somehow.....

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by LAWALLSTRACTOR View Post
    And by the way, dealers having to buy 0% rates isn't just a Mahindra thing, it is just that Mahindra is being up front about it.
    And it isnt just a tractor thing either.

The auto-manufactures have been doing it for awhile too. Like the 0% OR $4000 cash back.

So in reality, to get the 0% you are paying $4k (or whatever it is at the time) more for the vehichle.

So yea, 0% really isnt 0% if you can purchase the SAME car/tractor with cash or other financing for less money.

All they are doing is collecting the interest UPFRONT and making you "think" you are getting a good rate.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    2012 Mahindra Max 22, JD Stx38, JD Stx46

Quote Originally Posted by MrChris View Post
    Couldn't you have gotten the financing through the credit union first and then paid the cash price for the tractor??
    I could have done so, but there was a time issue involved due to me having someone lined up to fabricate hand controls so I can operate it. Otherwise yes, that would have been the best approach. My FCU is located in Ilinois and it would have taken a few days.

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

This same tactic is at play every wheres. When i purchased my Kioti i made the best deal i could find, then i offered cash fo more of a discount... almost $1,000 more of a discount over the offered price.

I know at furniture stores they have these so called 0% interest for 4 year sales all the time. They say you dont have to make any payments for 4 years and there is no interest. what they dont openly tell you is if it isnt paid off in total at the end of the 4 years..and i mean 100% total, they charge you 4 years of accrued interest on the total purchase price. can you say scam.

if theres a way to make a deal look good on paper..but not be such a great deal overall, someone has already thought of it.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

I think it is about dealers getting the pricing options to the customer very early in the sales process. We used to price every item at 0%, then offer discounts. But some customers would walk because we were $1300-$2500 (more expensive tractors have higher buydowns) higher than the guy selling at cash price and they didn't listen carefully enough to hear the discount part of the sales pitch.

So about 2 years ago we made the decision to price at cash/standard rate with all discounts, then offer the better rates, all the way to 0%, at our cost to the customer. In reality, we all know that 0% isn't free, it is just absorbed in some manner and the cost is passed on to the customer. This seems like the most "honest" approach, although I use that word carefully as it is not dishonest to price everything with 0% packed in.

The best thing, although it takes the sales guy a little time, is to crunch the numbers for 0%, 4.25%, and standard rate and see what fits best.

Glad you got your tractor! Stay in touch.
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast