I believe I made up my mind

/ I believe I made up my mind #1  

ToolBoxTavern

Silver Member
Tractor
4wd 4025 Mahindra
I think after all the research I know which tractor I am gonna get....I think! :laughing:

I started with the 4wd 4025, then went to the 3616, next jumped to the 5035, kicked round the 4035, and finally I have come back where I started with the 4wd 4025.

Now I have picked the tractor and just a matter of spec'n it out for me.

I was quoted
$19,990 4wd 4025 tractor with fel
$1,300 for HD 6' Howse shredder
$2,200 for 6' tiller I believe was Howse also
$1,000 for an after market 2 spool remote set up. Probably push it to a 3 spool.
$200 multi seal front tires and fill rears with water.

Total = pocket book hurts!! BUT lookin forward to the fun. I believe there is more than enough room to wheel and deal and this total is a bit much. What you think?

I believe the shredder is probably right on since it is a heavy duty, but the tiller and the multi seal in the tires seem a little high to me. I believe tractor can come down a bit also. So I believe when the trigger is pulled total is comin down or I am getting something else FREE!

O and just for the record shredding and tilling will probably be the activities done the most in the long run. Is that to much shredder or tiller for this unit?

Now I got to thinkin bout the tires and now I'm stumped again. I know the R1 and R4 thing has been asked to it was killed, but I dont know which way to go so I'm gonna put this out there.

I believe with the R4s the unit is 90" wide and with the R1s it is 70" wide. Thats 20" difference between R1s and R4s. Amazing.

So with the R4s I got tire tracks when tilling and of course not with the R1s. Or with the R4s I know where the walking path is. :laughing: Here I am thinking R1s. What would you do here?

Now the traction thing. I know most say R1 AG!! Pulls better when doing ground engaging equipment. Well maybe or maybe not. My land is pretty flat. I live in south central Texas and have a lot of sand. Some call it sugar sand, or blow sand. I have even heard beach sand. Although close, but I disagree with that. Some places you can go down 4-6" and hit clay where other spots it is 36" down to the clay. I would say most of the clay is below 12-16". You can get stuck when it is dry and if it has rained a good bit or a lot it turns into quick sand. When it rains hard for a few days I have walked out in the middle of the field and sunk waist deep. When in a pick up with out 4wd and you get off the beaten path and no experience you are stuck!! Down the road there is land for sale and it is funny to watch people drive in and be pulled out no matter what time of year it is. I am thinking R4 for the bigger foot pattern and floatation here. What ya think?

I have mesquite thorns, very few stumps and cactus. I need to clear some mesquite trees and that makes more thorns. These trees will probably push over pretty easy and the stumps come out easy I hope with it being in the sand. I am thinking R4s again here for the more puncture resistance and running over stuff. Seems R4 is winning.

Now most lowboy trailers rather be goose neck or bumper pull are 82" wide. Not rocket science here that 90" R4s aint fittin. They tell me we can reverse the rim and in set the tires to 82". Now we are rubbin the rails here. Not to crazy bout reversing the rims. I do not have a trailer so I can go with a heavy duty car hauler with drive over fenders and now the pocket book hurts even more. R1s scored a point here.

Now we are all tied up.

I'm getting my specs from the mahindra usa web site on the 4wd 4025 for the industrial R4s and the 2wd 4025 for the ag R1s. Wished I would have measured them myself now.

I would like to hear what you all think.

/ I believe I made up my mind #2  
Couple of things...first congrats on your selection...second, now...I don't think your "heavy duty" 6' shredder is that HD for only $1300...better get a second opinion on that..unless you are dead set on spending a couple thousand on a tiller, you can get a good 2 bottom plow and an a second hand disk for a bunch less...(now, granted this is a personal thing, having been raised plowing/disking etc..) so take a look at a saving a few bucks on the tiller thing and add a few to the brush hog and get a real HD...especially if you want to "destroy" your thorn trees..without destroying your hog...as far as R1 vs R4s...your choice,,,,mine would be R1s, at 8ply rating, especially if you ever thought you might get a flat. Good luck!! BobG in VA

/ I believe I made up my mind
Couple of things...first congrats on your selection...second, now...I don't think your "heavy duty" 6' shredder is that HD for only $1300...better get a second opinion on that..unless you are dead set on spending a couple thousand on a tiller, you can get a good 2 bottom plow and an a second hand disk for a bunch less...(now, granted this is a personal thing, having been raised plowing/disking etc..) so take a look at a saving a few bucks on the tiller thing and add a few to the brush hog and get a real HD...especially if you want to "destroy" your thorn trees..without destroying your hog...as far as R1 vs R4s...your choice,,,,mine would be R1s, at 8ply rating, especially if you ever thought you might get a flat. Good luck!! BobG in VA

Thanx for the reply.

I am kinda set on the tiller, but I will kick your idea around and I didnt think bout 8 ply ags. That would stiffen'em up in the front to for loader work.

/ I believe I made up my mind #4  
I have soft land also (Sandy Peat, thick sod, often wet). I have a Minneapolis Moline Jet Star (big, heavy) with partially loaded ag tires and a Bobcat ct120 21 hp/14 pto hp with loaded turf tires. I pull buck-thorn with the loader and use a tiller for gardening on the CT120. I like the flotation I get with the Turf tires in years that are wet. I can only use the MM in dry conditions. One year I had to wait for a freeze to get the MM tractor out of a soft spot. My relatives farm with duel ag tires in soft spring soil for the flotation AND traction, then switch to single ag tires the rest of the time. Maybe high flotation tires till you need traction then add chains??? I agree that getting a higher ply tire will help keep from getting flats. Good luck.

I have soft land also (Sandy Peat, thick sod, often wet). I have a Minneapolis Moline Jet Star (big, heavy) with partially loaded ag tires and a Bobcat ct120 21 hp/14 pto hp with loaded turf tires. I pull buck-thorn with the loader and use a tiller for gardening on the CT120. I like the flotation I get with the Turf tires in years that are wet. I can only use the MM in dry conditions. One year I had to wait for a freeze to get the MM tractor out of a soft spot. My relatives farm with duel ag tires in soft spring soil for the flotation AND traction, then switch to single ag tires the rest of the time. Maybe high flotation tires till you need traction then add chains??? I agree that getting a higher ply tire will help keep from getting flats. Good luck.

I was beginning to think no one else had opinions round here. :laughing:

I am all into the higher ply tires, but not the chain deal. Options are 6ply ag or 8ply ind. Havent got into what happens to price if I go 8ply ag yet. Just the width of the unit with industials on it is amazing to me. I just think hauling it is the main issue with the industrials, but I will not be doing much of that.

I'm really lost on this tire thing as far as what would be right in my situation. :confused:

Hopefully I'll have time this weekend and I am going to go measure for my self outside and inside dimensions on the rear tires. :thumbsup:

Trying to get as many what ifs out of the way before pulling the trigger!! :cool:

/ I believe I made up my mind #6  
You must have a drop deck trailer. Both of the trailers I have access to are deck over trailers. They are 102" wide. No rubbin the rails on them.

Personally I like the R1's but for my application it works best.

You must have a drop deck trailer. Both of the trailers I have access to are deck over trailers. They are 102" wide. No rubbin the rails on them.

Personally I like the R1's but for my application it works best.

I do not have a trailer yet, but I want a lowboy not a deck over. With the lowboy I would be able to do much more around our 14acre farm/house and I would feel safer if for some reason wife was towing it because the center of gravity is lower.

Here is a pic of trailer I was considering.
trailergn.jpg

I'll probably hunt for something like this but 10ft or so shorter if I go R4s. This one is 36ft long and I want one 20ft to 24ft, but you get the idea. What would be nice is no rails or no rails past fenders and/or drive over fenders and then its all good with R4s.
CIMG0347.jpg

I am thinkn 8ply R1s, but not convinced and lookin for more input.

Here is a pic I found of the 4wd 4025 with out loader and a black grill. Pretty stout lookin.

4025_HERO.jpg

Well I went and measured the unit myself between waist n chest high.

R1s
71" outside to outside
43 1/2" inside to inside

R4s
85" out to out
48 1/2: in to in

trailer inside rails 82"

/ I believe I made up my mind #10  
R4s can handle more weight. The R1s on my 6520 kinda squash down and have sidewall bulge when the 84 inch wide bucket is full. R1s are taller, which is a plus for my backhoe's subframe. My trailer is 83 inches wide and the rears rub the trailer sides. Right now my fender skins are loose from that rubbing. I want to upgrade to a flat deck dual tandem for that reason and also heavier business needs. R4s are easier on turf. I like the fact R1s have the mechanical advantage when dropped off in holes over R4s. It's that taller height thing again.;)
hugs, Brandi