Inked on a 4035 today !

/ Inked on a 4035 today !
Here's the report...blown seal on the high pressure side of the hydraulic pump...took about three hours to fix because the tech had to disassemble most of the right side loader assembly to get to the pump/line...I'm officially back in "biz"...

-A+ rating to the dealer (Scott's Tractor of Shreveport)
--A+ to the Tech (Eric)
--A to the warranty Dept manager (not for warranty, however some necessary instructions did not make it as requested)
--A+ for timeliness (Stated arrival time was between 0800 - 0830, Tech arrived at 0805)
A+ for cleanliness and quality of work (Eric was a pleasure to deal with and a fountain of information)

Aside from the frustration of having a broken tractor in the first place the overall experience exceeded my expectations ! I HIGHLY recommend Scott's Tractor of Shreveport as a quality dealer that backs what they sell.

On a side note, Eric recommended I routinly add Algicide to the diesel fuel...he said, particularly in the south, there is a form of algae that can feed off of diesel fuel but reside in thin film of water/condensation that can build up in fuel tanks/lines...told me if I add it I can avoid later problems...he also told me Scott's adds it whenever they "PDI" a tractor...(Pre-Delivery Inspect) just thought y'all would be interested...

Rich

/ Inked on a 4035 today ! #42  
Algaecide? Really.. never thought about that.

/ Inked on a 4035 today !
Algicide, Right ?

Anyway, happy to report that everything seems to be running good, bush hogged bout 4acres between last night and today and everything is functioning well....

Rich

/ Inked on a 4035 today ! #44  
Glad to hear all is well. Just got off mine too. My neighbors are killing me with the projects lol

/ Inked on a 4035 today ! #45  
You probably already know this but your problem may be with remotes. I didn't read all of the thread thoroughly, but be warned. Grapples, Augers, cutters, basically anything that opens that valve more than a few seconds will cause trouble if you don't install a separate pump and proper plumbing. The factory pump and valve kit is designed to open only briefly. If it is left in the open position heat will build up quick and it will burn that pump out faster than you could imagine. Just a heads up to help avoid a head ache! Enjoy that new machine!

/ Inked on a 4035 today ! #46  
You probably already know this but your problem may be with remotes. I didn't read all of the thread thoroughly, but be warned. Grapples, Augers, cutters, basically anything that opens that valve more than a few seconds will cause trouble if you don't install a separate pump and proper plumbing. The factory pump and valve kit is designed to open only briefly. If it is left in the open position heat will build up quick and it will burn that pump out faster than you could imagine. Just a heads up to help avoid a head ache! Enjoy that new machine!

Mahindra Don, I disagree entirely with your statement.

The heat will only build quickly if the oil is forced to go through a small orifice type bypass (pressure relief) for any period of time. Then you will have tremendous buildup of heat quickly. But that would also mean you have the implement plumbed wrong. For example, we run quite a few of the larger backhoes off the factory remote that is detented open. That is not a problem. The oil just flows through all the valves in an open-center system and all is well. Not too much heat generated unless of course you are plumbed wrong and are causing a pressure relief bypass situation. We have yet to see a failed pump because of a factory backhoe plumbed into the hydraulic remotes, and we have sold a lot of them. And a backhoe uses a lot of flow, and you get a lot of momentary bypass, like each time you run a cylinder all the way to it's end you get a momentary bypass. That builds heat, but it is such a short lived event that it is not a problem.

If a guy were wanting to continually run a large hydraulic motor off the remotes, and the flow required was near capacity, that might be a good case for an additional tank or an oil cooler or even a PTO run separate system. The design of the factory system would not anticipate a 100% duty cycle of maximum flow and the hydraulics would probably get hotter than desired.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

/ Inked on a 4035 today ! #47  
Thanks Dave,
I was referring to constant run such as an auger or drill and judging by the need of a 3rd kit I assumed this is what he would be doing. I would never expect a backhoe to be affected. As I said I didn't read the whole thread because we are slammed at work but I have seen a few failures due to heat from excessive use. 8560 most recently and I consider that the toughest made. The use of a hammer drill and auger is what overheated the system and it was professionally plumbed. I was using laymans terms to describe but I bet most readers got the point. Hold that valve open for several minutes and it starts cooking. My 8560 customer installed an oil cooler and it wasn't enough so he went to a PTO driven auxillary pump that had the power to do his commercial work. All is well and he loves his 8560!

/ Inked on a 4035 today ! #48  
"Mahindra Don, I disagree entirely with your statement. "
"Well I reckon not too entirely "
If a guy were wanting to continually run a large hydraulic motor off the remotes, and the flow required was near capacity, that might be a good case for an additional tank or an oil cooler or even a PTO run separate system. The design of the factory system would not anticipate a 100% duty cycle of maximum flow and the hydraulics would probably get hotter than desired. "

Just my thoughts on the matter.[/QUOTE]

/ Inked on a 4035 today ! #49  
"Mahindra Don, I disagree entirely with your statement. "
"Well I reckon not too entirely "
If a guy were wanting to continually run a large hydraulic motor off the remotes, and the flow required was near capacity, that might be a good case for an additional tank or an oil cooler or even a PTO run separate system. The design of the factory system would not anticipate a 100% duty cycle of maximum flow and the hydraulics would probably get hotter than desired. "

Just my thoughts on the matter.
[/QUOTE]

Yes Don, running a hydraulic hammer drill and hydraulic auger would be one of those super demanding uses that would do well with a system custom designed for it. Generally that sort of use is on a skidsteer or excavator that will have twice the flow and twice the cooling. But that is an extreme use for a farm tractor.

/ Inked on a 4035 today ! #50  
Thanks Dave,
I was referring to constant run such as an auger or drill and judging by the need of a 3rd kit I assumed this is what he would be doing. I would never expect a backhoe to be affected. As I said I didn't read the whole thread because we are slammed at work but I have seen a few failures due to heat from excessive use. 8560 most recently and I consider that the toughest made. The use of a hammer drill and auger is what overheated the system and it was professionally plumbed. I was using laymans terms to describe but I bet most readers got the point. Hold that valve open for several minutes and it starts cooking. My 8560 customer installed an oil cooler and it wasn't enough so he went to a PTO driven auxillary pump that had the power to do his commercial work. All is well and he loves his 8560!

Don, what is in bold is what I think can be misleading to folks. It isn't the valve being held open that is causing the heat. it is what the oil is doing after it gets through the valve. Running a constant-run hydraulically spun auger with a hammer is what is generating the heat, not the fact that the valve remains open. Like my example on a backhoe, the valve is latched open and it does not heat excessively, even after a couple of hours of digging. (Disclaimer to folks new to hydraulics, if the valve is held open like in my example, it must be operating another valve controlled cylinder or motor via the remote ports. If you latch it open for some silly reason and have nothing hooked to the remote ports, it will immediately start flowing oil through the pressure relief and get really hot super fast.)

We have a farmer running a bunch of hydraulic motors on some Walnut harvesting equipment that hangs on a larger Mahindra. A couple of the motors are constant use as they run a sweeper to windrow nuts. We warned him that doing this for hours would be beyond the design of the factory hydraulic system. Being a farmer, he tried it anyway and has been fine for years. If I recall correctly, he did add an external auxillary tank and that probably acts as a big cooler, but he has never had an issue. But I think a sweeper has a much easier life than a drill. Your guy did not put a big hydraulic hammer drill on to drill an occasional hole through topsoil. He is drilling through some tough stuff and doing it commercially most likely. If you take a similar size skidsteer, like a 90HP unit, it will flow over 30 gallons a minute, nearly twice the 17GPM for a typical 75-90HP farm tractor. As such, they are designed with larger tanks and huge cooling systems for the hydraulics. If you take an implement designed for such a commercial machine and put it on a farm tractor, you certainly need to look at cooling and flow issues.

Don, I suspect we both agree and are just saying it differently. Heat is the enemy of a hydraulic system and if the oil gets cookin' hot, seals fail, pumps fail, etc. I just do not want people to think the remotes are somehow fragile and only good to extend or retract a cylinder occasionally. Likewise your comments are good information for someone wanting run something hydraulically that is really high demand.

OK, back to work, let's sell some tractors!