5530 and rotary cutter size...

/ 5530 and rotary cutter size... #1  

amstaff

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5530
I went to buy a new Kodiak 8' HD Rotary cutter today, but held off for one reason... the only two they had were in Orange! Interestingly, they looked like two different colors of orange. Maybe Kubota and Kioti? Anyway, I held off on buying the 8 footer. They will be able to get me one, however, it will take a few weeks until they get another load :(. On their shipment last week, they did receive two (RED!) 10' lift type Kodiaks. The sales person felt that my 5530 would have no problems handling the 10'. He said they have used them on 55hp Kioti's with no problems. So this evening I have been looking at some numbers... the 5530's 3pt lift capacity is close to 4,000lbs (3,968 to be exact). The Kodiak website list the weight at 1,480lbs. So the weight looks good. Kodiak does list the minimum hp as 52. Nowhere do they clarify if this is tractor hp or pto hp!?!?!?:confused:

I know that some forum members have the 8' lift type, and that some have the 10' pull type, but is anyone using a 10' lift type with their 5530??? Do any of the dealers have customers that combined a 5530 to a 10' lift type?

I should note that this rotary cutter will be used exclusively to cut horse pasture grasses (and weeds:)). It will not be seeing any brush clearing duty as that job has been completed long ago with my beat-up rotary cutter!

Thanks!!

/ 5530 and rotary cutter size...
Well, I have answered my own question... I called Kodiak Manufacturing first thing this morning, and believe it or not, a real live person answered the phone after one ring! I said that I had a technical question on one of their cutters and within a few seconds I was talking with another person! They were incredibly professional and helpful. It sure is refreshing to call a company and have quick access to people who can answer all your questions. Bottom line, they feel that the 5530 is more than enough tractor to run a 10' lift type. So off to the dealer today to buy a new Kodiak (They're even delivering it 45 miles one-way for free).

/ 5530 and rotary cutter size... #3  
For the most part I think you will have no problems, and if you get to a spot where the grass is very thick, you may have to drop down a gear.

/ 5530 and rotary cutter size... #4  
That's a lot to ask of a 50'ish pto hp tractor IMO. In the thick grass you'll likely have trouble (at least in KY you would).

/ 5530 and rotary cutter size... #5  
If you look at the pto requirements for a lift versus a pull type you will see it takes less pto power to operate a pull type. Main reason I went with a 10' pull type Mahindra/Kodiak easier on the tractor.

idaho2

Update...

I purchased the Kodiak 10' lift type. Cost was $3,625 delivered (90 miles round trip).

Most important note: If you have a 5530, do not hesitate to buy this mower!!! The 5530 is MORE than enough tractor for this mower. It will unequivocally handle this rotary cutter and everything it was designed to do.

It was delivered on a deckover trailer. Because it is 122" wide, it cannot be driven up on the trailer and dropped off/picked up. So it has to be lifted on the deckover lengthwise. Getting it off of the trailer was easy enough... All I had to do is drop the loader bucket and hook up the pallet forks. Then, simply drive up to the trailer's side and slide the forks under the center mower deck. The 5530 lifted it right up no problem. I backed up and lowered the mower to the ground. Hooking up a lift-type rotay cutter that large (1,500lbs) was made relatively easy with the help of a second person. I should note that the delivery person was also my sales person, and that he came out to my house early on Saturday morning to drop off. Unfortunately, I don't always have help hooking up attachments, so I will start researching a Quick Hitch or Pat's System (recommendations/suggestions/opinions are very much welcome!!!)

Once everything was hooked up, it was off to mowing! I did 15 acres on Saturday. The mowing included lush, thick horse pasture as well as a field that was overgrown for years. I also had the opportunity to run it through some woody brush that averaged 2+" thick. Nowhere did the Mahindra bog down. Not in any of the conditions. I mowed everything with the engine RPMs at 2,100 (540 PTO), and I mostly mowed in 3rd gear Low (although it did spend some time in 2nd gear along fences and 4th gear in some areas).

Overall, I am really glad I have the extra 2' over the 8' version. For just a few hundred dollars more, the 10 footer was worth it!

Kodiak 2.jpgkodiak 1.jpgKodiak 3.jpg

Couple more pics...

The overgrown pasture was loaded with thistle over 6' tall. The tractor/mower cut right through everything without flinching. This was different then when I used my Kubota L4400 which would bog down in the heavy stuff. With the Mahindra, I could simply set the RPMs and go with no worries.

017.jpg033.jpg

/ 5530 and rotary cutter size... #8  
amstaff,

The 5530 is one heck of a power beast to handle the mower. I knew you'd be more than pleased with the 10' Kodiak. Suggest to check gear box oil level before mowing again.

Idaho2

/ 5530 and rotary cutter size... #9  
Nice job!! Wish we had anything that green to mow here in AR.......been pretty dry round here this summer and all is brown and dead.

When i do mow, i always check my gear boxes by touching them after a while. Lets me know if there may be over heating, over stress, low oil, etc..... its an easy quick check and generally will save you alot of trouble before something gets real hot and you roast a gear box.

Have fun and thanks for the pics!!

Great suggestion to check oil level before next use.

Idaho2, did your gear box oil level ever drop after mowing all of your acreage?