Default Buying a Max 25 back hoe questions

Hi,
    I've deceided to purchase a new Max 25 and I'm up in the air about getting the BH... If I get it now, and put it in with the financing, I can probably swing it. I have to do a fair amount of trenching to do along with some bridge repair over a small creek. Does anyone know how long it takes to take off and put on these things? as I dont want it on all the time...
    If I dont get it when i buy the tractor, I kind of doubt if I will be able to get it later.
    On the other hand, is it worth the extra expense for the BH, or, do i rent a trencher and a mini exavator to do those things...
    I am on about 7 acres of sandy soil in CT with a couple outbuildings that i want to run water and electric to and in the future I'm planning to build a stand alone "in law" apartment that i'll have to run water to.
    Any advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L3830

Default Re: Buying a Max 25 back hoe questions

Quote Originally Posted by garye5007 View Post
    Hi,
    I've deceided to purchase a new Max 25 and I'm up in the air about getting the BH... If I get it now, and put it in with the financing, I can probably swing it. I have to do a fair amount of trenching to do along with some bridge repair over a small creek. Does anyone know how long it takes to take off and put on these things? as I dont want it on all the time...
    If I dont get it when i buy the tractor, I kind of doubt if I will be able to get it later.
    On the other hand, is it worth the extra expense for the BH, or, do i rent a trencher and a mini exavator to do those things...
    I am on about 7 acres of sandy soil in CT with a couple outbuildings that i want to run water and electric to and in the future I'm planning to build a stand alone "in law" apartment that i'll have to run water to.
    Any advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks
    I cannot speak for the Max. I can speak about removal and installation of the backhoe on a JD2305. The hardest part was the construction of a dolly to allow me to be able to roll the backhoe around the shop after removal. Someone on tractorbynet posted on building a dolly for the backhoe, I remembered that and constructed the dolly. I also use a strap to hold the outriggers up after removal. The boom will also have a tendacy to leak down if the unit is not reattached for some period of time.

A nice tool. All kinds of projects can be found. If you have never used a back hoe before don't become discouraged with your first efforts. Practice makes for a good operator.

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

Read here, garye. Backhoe Backhoe Dolly
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

Thanks for the replies. still debating...

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

I know that I am still kicking my self for not getting one when I bought my massey.

Tractor
    Mahindra MAX 22

i have a max 22. I switch between a rough cut mower and my backhoe frequently. I can do the swap in under 15 minutes, if it was just the backhoe on and off with no 3pt attachment on it, it would be under 5 minutes.

Thanks for more replies!
    Viperdave, do you find the Max 22 enough HP for the BH and rough cut? or do you wish you had got the 25? I would save me $$$ to get the 22!
    Did you buy your locally? if you did, where did you get it and how do you feel about the dealer?
    Thanks!

Tractor
    Mahindra MAX 22

Quote Originally Posted by garye5007 View Post
    Thanks for more replies!
    Viperdave, do you find the Max 22 enough HP for the BH and rough cut? or do you wish you had got the 25? I would save me $$$ to get the 22!
    Did you buy your locally? if you did, where did you get it and how do you feel about the dealer?
    Thanks!
    I have yet to wish i had more HP. All i am using the rough cut on is TALL grass, hay field like. I dont really feel the need for more power.

in terms of the backhoe, i dont need more power, as it is, it tweaks the tractor around enough that i usually stop before something breaks. We use the tractor to maintain 4 acres. FEL, BH and rough cut. the FEL works great for pushing my non running race cars around the yard... it also will pickup the back of a jeep (dont ask)

We did buy locally (ellington Agway). best decision we made. We had a small fuel leak problem. Called them Sunday midday. Monday morning they sent out their tech, i wasnt even home. he fixed the tractor and was on his way in no time.

the dealer is the main reason i went with the mahindra.

Silver Member
    Approved Advertiser

Tractor
    Mahindra's

The backhoe goes on and of pretty easy. Approx 5 minutes. If you are in the area(Bethany) stop in and I can demo how it is removed and installed. Also see what kind of a TBN deal i can make. PM or call me. 203-393-0642

Scott