4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission?

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #31  
To my knowledge the 4025 is the smallest utility tractor Mahindra makes. I have heard of it mentioned as a compact before also. I would have to say the 4wd 4025 is a compact utility tractor. Best of both worlds.

Contact others with the units you want and get their personal opinions on them. I did PM some members on here asking them bout their 4025 units. Of course 2wd because they just now came out with 4wd in the 4025. Not one of them had anything bad to say and each said it was more than enough tractor. I talked to guys that had anywhere from a little plot to 100+ acres. One guy just went on and on bout all of his accomplishments with it. More than one said it was enough tractor, but wished it was 4wd. I am bias to the 4wd 4025 because I have one, but really talk to others with the different units you are considering and see what they say.

I would like more power just to say I got more power, but thats an ego, macho thing also that hurts my pocket book. They did it along time ago with less than what you are considering.

Good Luck.

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission?
...welcome to my world.

I don't have a crystal ball but as I may have mentioned I see myself needing something to cut hay, move snow, groom the driveway and on occasion haul logs out of woods. I like the relative simplicity of the 4025 and while it's a heavy machine, it seems to me, w/4WD, to be easy enough to manuver around the pond, in the woods...etc and it's affordable.

I've been scouting out the used sickle bar mowers. It looks like I can get a decent belt driven for around $2k. Not sure whether to go with an FEL right off the bat unless they have an incentive on them. I may get a remote for the rear.

Bonuses are distributed in Feb. I'll likely be pulling the trigger around that time maybe March or April. This past July I worked with a local high school teacher to put up a garage for it.

Bridgewater-20120728-00030.jpg

Thanks again for all your inputs.

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #33  
Nice garage. Glad to see you got that out of the way.

I have the skills to build one. I framed houses for my cousins husband for 10+ yrs and he would help me to this day build whatever I want, but money is the problem because I dont want to finance it. So mine sits in weather. I told wife come spring we are at least building an awning/carport for it.

Thanks..I thought the garage might give me some measure of theft as well as weather protection. i did some checking at my CU and they'll only finance a tractor through a personal loan the rates for which are pretty high. I'm likely going to take the manufacturer's financing for a chunk of it.

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #35  
I checked my CU also and they would only do it like a commercial sort of loan something or another for 7.25%. So I got Mahindras at 4.25%. But if I want a brand new King Ranch F350 4 door 4wd fully loaded Ford pick up I can get less than 2%. Now imagine that. Them King Ranch Fords are nice, but there goes my pocket book again. No King Ranch for me. As far as the theft thing goes that is a good idea also. Bout 5yrs ago old man down the road got his tractor stolen, but I'm willin to bet it had the key in it and it was parked right near the gate and the gate was probably wide open. I park my next to my goose neck trailer and chain the 2 together and my gate is always closed because we let the cows up in the yard to mow....I mean eat. If someone wants it they will get it, but thieves are lazy so the harder you make it the more likely they will go on to the easier job.

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #36  
To my knowledge the 4025 is the smallest utility tractor Mahindra makes. I have heard of it mentioned as a compact before also. I would have to say the 4wd 4025 is a compact utility tractor. Best of both worlds.

The 4025 is indeed a compact utility, but I don't know if it's the best of both worlds. Compacts, CUTS, and Utilities all have their strong and weak points. Unless you need to work in confined areas, like I do, Utility size gives you more bang for the buck than a CUT in the same HP range. I think of CUTS more like mid size PU trucks. They are easier to park, but won't do what a full size will do.

Bout 5yrs ago old man down the road got his tractor stolen, but I'm willin to bet it had the key in it and it was parked right near the gate and the gate was probably wide open.

Now that sounds old school :laughing:

Don't have any cows but if we do land up there full time someday and if it makes economic sense, I thought about fencing off the smaller field on the one side of the driveway for grazing. It's just an idea though..

First time I contacted the CU about a loan they suggested that auto loans are available for tractors if I could title it (which is available in Maine)...so I submitted an application. After a few days they called to ask some questions and toward the end of the conversation said my auto loan was approved. To be sure, I mentioned again that the loan was for a tractor. Can't say for sure but I bet the woman's face was red. She put me on hold and when she returned to the phone told me that a tractor didn't qualify for an auto loan. I think she did mention something about a buisness loan also.

4 1/4's not a bad rate.

The 4025 is indeed a compact utility, but I don't know if it's the best of both worlds. Compacts, CUTS, and Utilities all have their strong and weak points. Unless you need to work in confined areas, like I do, Utility size gives you more bang for the buck than a CUT in the same HP range. I think of CUTS more like mid size PU trucks. They are easier to park, but won't do what a full size will do.

Thanks Notforhire...The requirement that most concerned me is the mowing. I'd been considering a larger 7-8 foot bush hog but I think a new or used 7-9 ft sickle bar will do just as well. There are some areas, particularly around the perimeter of the fields that will likely require bush hogging so I'll likley pick up a used 5 or 6 footer. And there's always the possibility that I can get someone to cut the fields for the hay.

I agree though that I might be low balling it on the HP. It's a tough call but I think I should be able to get most if not all of what I need to get done with the 40 horse machine.

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #39  
Just to give you ONE MORE thing to think about. Cold weather starting. If you are moving to Maine how well a diesel starts in the winter is importaint. I had a Ford 1920 that would start easily in 10 deg. weather without using the glow plugs. I also had a NH TC40D that didn't like to start if it was 20 deg. and I used the glow plugs.
30 years ago I had 67 acres in Summerset County, Me., so I've been through the New England cold weather start thing.
I think you can get by with 40 hp fine. I don't think your lowballing. I did the same type of thing your looking at with a 1947 25? hp Farmall C.
Sickle mowers tend to push the front end to the right as you cut. Longer wheel base helps, so does weight. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, physically larger longer tractors tend to be more stable than compacts. You can do the work with just about any machine, just some are less work than others.
Just throwing ideas at you. Grandpa got by with just a horse.:D

Just to give you ONE MORE thing to think about. Cold weather starting. If you are moving to Maine how well a diesel starts in the winter is importaint. I had a Ford 1920 that would start easily in 10 deg. weather without using the glow plugs. I also had a NH TC40D that didn't like to start if it was 20 deg. and I used the glow plugs.
30 years ago I had 67 acres in Summerset County, Me., so I've been through the New England cold weather start thing.
I think you can get by with 40 hp fine. I don't think your lowballing. I did the same type of thing your looking at with a 1947 25? hp Farmall C.
Sickle mowers tend to push the front end to the right as you cut. Longer wheel base helps, so does weight. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, physically larger longer tractors tend to be more stable than compacts. You can do the work with just about any machine, just some are less work than others.
Just throwing ideas at you. Grandpa got by with just a horse.:D

I don't have electrics in the garage yet but I do plan to put in a sub-panel sometime in the future. The garage is about 100' from the house....uh-oh.. guess I'll need that backhoe attachment now. :D

My guess is an after market block heater might help some with cold starts but if not maybe a space heater ? ....jeez...now i have to think about putting up a ceiling :laughing: