4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission?

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #1  

keegs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5640SUD
Looking at the 4025 4WS features in the online specifications .pdf and it says this machine comes with a sliding mesh transmission but in the tractor comparison tab for the same machine it indicates it has a constant mesh transmission.

From Wikipedia:

The earliest form of a manual transmission is thought to have been invented by Louis-René Panhard and Emile Levassor in the late 19th century. This type of transmission offered multiple gear ratios and, in most cases, reverse. The gears were typically engaged by sliding them on their shafts (hence the phrase shifting gears), which required careful timing and throttle manipulation when shifting, so the gears would be spinning at roughly the same speed when engaged; otherwise, the teeth would refuse to mesh. These transmissions are called sliding mesh transmissions or sometimes crash boxes, because of the difficulty in changing gears and the loud grinding sound that often accompanied. Newer manual transmissions on cars have all gears mesh at all times and are referred to as constant-mesh transmissions, with "synchro-mesh" being a further refinement of the constant mesh principle.

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #2  
It's a crash box in that model due to price point pretty sure

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #3  
It is a sliding mesh transmission, basicly 1950's/60's tractor technology. There are no syncronizers in the transmission. It is no big problem on a tractor, as it would be on a car or truck where shifting is done at much higher speeds.

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission?
Thanks...everyone I've asked this question to agrees on the trans type in the 4025.

Some suggest these transmissions are more difficult to work with particularly where it involves FEL work. There's a significant cost diff between these and the HST.

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #5  
If you want a smoother trans for FEL work look at a 4530, 5530, or 6530. They have a shuttle shift 8x8 trans. I can attest to this series trans as being strong, since I have a 5530. Good strong machine. Just food for thought.

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #6  
I recently purchased one and I have no problem throwing the gear shift into which ever gear I want when doing loader work. It did take a minute to pin point where the gears are, but it is as easy as anything else that has gears as far as I'm concerned. I thought maybe I would be better off with a shuttle shift at first, but this is just fine and I really cant see needing the shuttle shift after using it. I have been busy with umpteen amount of other things and I only have 13+hrs on mine so far. I say go for it!!

Thanks TBT...the dealer seemed to really want to talk me out of the manual ... not sure if it was just a matter of opinion or rather had something to do with a bigger sale.

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #8  
It is a K.I.S.S. tractor and thats all just a tractor. No bells and No whistles. For the price it doesnt get any better.

K.eep
I.t
S.imple
S.tupid

It is a K.I.S.S. tractor and thats all just a tractor. No bells and No whistles. For the price it doesnt get any better.

K.eep
I.t
S.imple
S.tupid

Found a dealer with a 4025 4x4 on the lot. I'm going to test drive it on Sat.

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #10  
KEWL.

As far as the shifter goes. Reverse EZ. 3rd and 4th EZ. Now 1st and 2nd I had to find a reference point, but when I did they was easy also. It is bout the steering shaft. There is a warning sticker or some sort of sticker on mine that I cannot recall at the moment right in front of shifter below steering wheel and that is what I use. Now I can get it right in 1st or 2nd without looking.