Buying Advice Is there an advantage to HST?

/ Is there an advantage to HST? #2  
If you look at construction loaders, they are generally HST. HST is better for repetitive forward-reverse, forward-reverse. Gear is better for constant draw bar and PTO usage like miles of brush hogging.

As far as disadvantages, you may not be able to dial in a speed with PTO rpm's as well, and you lose some PTO HP.

/ Is there an advantage to HST? #3  
That subject has been hashed out dozens of times. The search button will lead you to those very lengthy discussions. The short answer is "it depends on what task you're performing."

/ Is there an advantage to HST? #4  
My opinion is that unless you are covering well in excess of 200 acres annually row cropping or mowing, HST is clearly applicable and for me heavily preferred.
Reliability is extremely high.
As indicated, use your TBN search for MANY threads discussing this.

And, :welcome: to TBN!!

/ Is there an advantage to HST? #5  
If you look at construction loaders, they are generally HST. HST is better for repetitive forward-reverse, forward-reverse. Gear is better for constant draw bar and PTO usage like miles of brush hogging.

As far as disadvantages, you may not be able to dial in a speed with PTO rpm's as well, and you lose some PTO HP.

Don't understand this;speed is infinate with HST,just dial up 540 RPm's and control speed with your foot.

/ Is there an advantage to HST? #6  
My smart***** answer would be: If you have to ask, then you need a HST. Are you plowing fields? Then gear would be fine, and an actual advantage. Are you a surburban homeowner with a CUT? you need a HST.

Upsides, HST is safer to work around people, buildings and on hills, and easier and less stressful for novices to operate.
HST allows precise control, if you need to operate at .88423384938 Mph then that speed is available.
HST allows you to change direction instantly and easily without shifting, it prevents your left leg from falling off. No clutching

Downsides: HST cost more up front to buy, and requires and extra filter to change during regular service intervals
HST makes a whiney sound, especially smaller units. Some whine more than others, some hardly whine at all.
HST produce some extra heat, the larger units have an extra radiator like automotive units with a transmission radiator up front.
HST put less power to the wheels, in other words there is some loss,, see heat production above.
HST are addictive, they are such a joy to operate, you start wishing everything you drive worked like a HST:)

Why am I so biased in favor of HST? I have owned 5 tractors, 2 gear and 3 HST, My bias is from experience. Unless you need more power to the ground, or cannot afford HST, or just run at 1 speed most of the time, do very little grading or loader work, you need a HST. Obviously I am biased, and an acolyte for HST, just like others here are biased for gear systems. Get a HST, you and your left leg will thank me later:) Good luck with your purchase.

James K0UA

/ Is there an advantage to HST? #7  
No advantage whatsoever!! Have had HST and find it had more negatives than the Powershuttle we have now, especially for ground engaging work.

You are on a Pro HST site, the replies will reflect that.

/ Is there an advantage to HST? #8  
   / Is there an advantage to HST? #9  
Not all HSTs are created equal. I had a NH TC40D. In order for the trans. to work correctly the engine needs to be turning 2000+ rpm. In order to operate the loader smoothly, I found it best to constantly adjust the throttle. I operated a Kubota HST and liked the HST and loader controls much better.
As other posters have noted, there are some advantages to HST operation. My wife liked it much better than gears. Me? I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Each to his own, Bill