New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night #21  
Yeah, I looked today, and it pretty much goes straight into the case.

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night #22  
Funny thing, I bought a 3615 and the pin on the rod that holds the seat in place was missing. Beginning to think this might possibly be a conspiracy.....

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night
Nothing new to report on the tractor itself, but I did have to repair a puncture in one of the front 23x8.50-12 tires.

Can't be sure, but it looks like a stray nail did the job. I had been using the Max in the area where an old wooden shed was torn down and a new pole barn is going up. I ran a magnetic "sweeper" several times in anticipation of this exact situation, but apparently I've missed some.

I used a tire repair kit (plug gun style) I normally keep on my BMW motorcycle to handle the job. This gizmo has worked nicely on several other small tractor tire repairs I did in past.

Dennis

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night #24  
Thanks for all the reports, we're scheduled to have our new Max 28 delivered tomorrow. You've had a tractor before so your comments are much more educated than mine will be but I'll try to keep your thread going from the first-time-tractor-buyer perspective. You've already given me some good questions to ask (checking the oil, tightening the bolts etc) and I really appreciate it. Luckily we do have a handy-man type guy who's been mowing the grass at our new place and he wants to be in on the delivery so I will have someone around to ask more questions than I'll have, but the comments you've put out here are a great help.

My main concern right now is how easy it will be to get the FEL off and on since I don't think I want it on while mowing (we're getting a 60 inch RFM), I keep reading in different threads about a quick-connect option, wonder if anyone could give me details on it (though I might be a little late to ask that quesiton).

Beaglenut,

You may be confusing a discussion of a quick disconnect BUCKET option and thinking that the loader itself was being talked about.

The Max's loader is very easy to remove. If the dealer hasn't offered you a demo, just read the loader manual for directions.

Most, if not all, tractors in this category are designed to take a bolt-on loader frame which remains on the tractor when the loader itself is removed. Your loader is equipped with a built-in stand, quick-disconnect hydraulic couplings, and some pins to pull. No sweat, once you know how to do it.

Looks like the Max is getting somewhat popular on the forum.

Dennis

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night #26  
You're right, the dealer explained that to me, the quick-disconnect is just for the bucket, for when you want to use the FEL arms for other implements like a bale fork.

When I asked about taking the FEL off for mowing I was surprised the dealer said most people don't do it, they just leave the loader on while mowing. That would sure be easier, for one thing no need to take up a spot in the garage for it (my only current place for keeping the tractor until we get a barn built). I'd be interested in others' opinions, and I should probably put this question out in a more general forum, on whether others generally remove their FEL for mowing or leave it on.

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night #27  
I leave the loader off until I have to use it. Once on I leave it on til I have to mow. Its real easy to put on and off, less than 5 minutes total. I store it in the barn and when I park the tractor I just pull it in just like I was attaching it. Takes a lot less room that way. I guess to finally answer your question I take the loader off to mow. I use a finishing mower and trim around the house and its easier without the loader. If I was to want to cut the pasture I would probably just leave it on. I usually leave it on to till and use the blades. So far I couldn't be happier with the tractor.

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night #28  
I leave the FEL on using my 3pt mounted bush hog to help counter balance that weight. If I were using a mid mount mower I'm sure I would remove it to make it easier to mow in tighter corners.

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night #29  
I purchased a max 25 with the loader and mid mount 60" mower a couple weeks ago. So far I have found it very easy to take the loader off for mowing and then take the deck off and put the loader back on for loader work. I did try to mow with the loader on and it worked well enough but I decided I didnt like the loader on while mowing around trees and the house etc. The loader mounting system for the max 25 and max 28 is the same and is very easy to use.

Spent a good portion of today putting the Max to work moving dirt in connection with my pole barn project.

No surprises, and that's a good thing. Didn't do anything with the Max that I haven't done before, but this time I was scooping and carrying for hours.

My previous bigger tractor would have hauled more dirt each trip, but I actually believe that the little Max did the job in about the same time that it would have taken the Kubota because it was able to zip around all the construction site obstacles so easily.

At this point, I am convinced that going with a smaller tractor was a good move for me. Most (maybe all) of the big projects on my property have been completed with the help of the "big" tractor. Now I'm having fun just doing the little things. For example, there was a particularly large load of trash bags that need to be taken to the end of the drive. The Max raced back and forth with bucket loads of bags and saved my back. If I had done the same thing with "old orange", the locals probably would call that a waste of Diesel.

Dennis