New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night #31  
Quick impressions since we had our new Max 28 delivered last Wednesday (it's at our new house where we have no internet yet so sorry for the slow reply):

I'm happy with the tractor, I lucked out and it was 80 degrees and sunny the day it was delivered so I got to mow until dark in shorts and a t-shirt, and even got to test out the headlights. Then the next day a front came through and I got to mow in 20+ mph north winds with the temp dropping into the 40's by the time I finished. Normal Missouri weather pattenrn for October.

The tractor itself was flawless. I'm 6'2 with size 14 feet and found the seat, foot controls and steering wheel comfortable. I mowed with the FEL on, haven't attempted to take it off yet primarily because I dont want to take up the extra space in the garage and I don't want to leave it sit outside. Had no problems navigating to mow with the loader on. I went over all the bolts on the tractor and wheels after 8 hours of mowing and didn't find any loosening up, they showed me all the spots to grease at the dealer but I know I need to rely on the manual to make sure I hit them all and haven't done that yet. Very happy with how easy it is to maneuver the tractor, we have a big garage with a single door and it was no problem to get the tractor in and to one side so I could still pull in my truck. I agree the seat belt is a pain, it's way to easy to lose sight of and I had to get off the tractor to find it a few times, plus just forgot to put it on a few other times. A better solution is needed. The oil dipstick location I can live with as long as oil use doesn't become a nagging issue, and based on everything I've read it won't be.

The RFM not so flawless. The dealer sold me a Farmline brand (said it was much cheaper than a Mahindra) and I lost one of 3 bolts on one of the two covers over the belts in the first 45 minutes of mowing. Have had to keep tightening those things up every time I stop, would appreciate suggestions on how to make them stay tight. Also hit a relatively small rock and one of the blades started hitting metal making a really loud noise. Neighbor came over and helped eliminate the noise with a 2x4 and sledge hammer, but showed me there was also a chip out of the blade, his impression is that the mower is cheaply made overall. There's also alot of grease coming out on the top which is a concern.

Also bought a rear blade but haven't played with it yet, hopefully the off-brand on that won't be as much an issue as the RFM seems to be. I (of course) played with the FEL but didn't do anything productive with it, it seems very easy to control and solidly built.

We'll be back at the house this weekend, hopefully I'll get to go through the owners manual and check out some more stuff.

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night #32  
weather pattenrn for October.

The RFM not so flawless. The dealer sold me a Farmline brand (said it was much cheaper than a Mahindra) and I lost one of 3 bolts on one of the two covers over the belts in the first 45 minutes of mowing. Have had to keep tightening those things up every time I stop, would appreciate suggestions on how to make them stay tight. Also hit a relatively small rock and one of the blades started hitting metal making a really loud noise. Neighbor came over and helped eliminate the noise with a 2x4 and sledge hammer, but showed me there was also a chip out of the blade, his impression is that the mower is cheaply made overall. There's also alot of grease coming out on the top which is a concern.

I have seen the bolts in the deck replaced with studs and then nuts with the plastic locking inserts used with a lock washer to stop the loosening and keep things tight. The venting of oil from the gear box on either a RFM or rotary cutter is normal. You may want to switch to synthetic gear oil to eliminate this somewhat. The synthetic will also tolerate high heat and keep on lubricating better than dino oil or grease.

It also sounds like you are using a RFM for what a rotary cutter was designed for. A RFM, regardless of brand name is not going to like being substitued for a rotary and will have a very short life span. If you bent one or more of the blades on the RFM as you alluded, I would suggest stopping by the Dealer and purchasing replacements. I have never seen anyone straighten a bent blade good enough to prevent stressing the spindle causing a short life span and eventual replacement. I would also suggest walking over the area you are cutting and removing all the large objects prior to mowing with either a RFM or a Rotary Cutter.

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night #33  

I have seen the bolts in the deck replaced with studs loctited in and then nuts with the plastic locking inserts used with a lock washer to stop the loosening and keep things tight. The venting of oil from the gear box on either a RFM or rotary cutter is normal. You may want to switch to synthetic gear oil to eliminate this somewhat. The synthetic will also tolerate high heat and keep on lubricating better than dino oil or grease.

It also sounds like you are using a RFM for what a rotary cutter was designed for. A RFM, regardless of brand name is not going to like being substitued for a rotary and will have a very short life span. If you bent one or more of the blades on the RFM as you alluded, I would suggest stopping by the Dealer and purchasing replacements. I have never seen anyone straighten a bent blade good enough to prevent stressing the spindle causing a short life span and eventual replacement. I would also suggest walking over the area you are cutting and removing all the large objects prior to mowing with either a RFM or a Rotary Cutter.

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night #34  
If by a rotary cutter you mean the same thing as what I've always referrred to as a brush hog I definitely do not want that, the yard I'm mowing looks much more like a golf course than a field. It hadn't been mowed for a few weeks and we had some rain so that's why I didn't see the rock I hit, but it was pretty small (maybe 6 inches round and half that deep) so I didn't think the blade should have chipped, though I understand some rocks are more solid than others and it probably just depends on the angle I hit it at. I think you're right that should get some spare blades, thanks for the advice and the info on the bolts and and gear oil.

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night #35  
A rock 6" round is quite a rock to hit with a finish mower. I wouldn't fault the finish mower for having a chip in the blade.

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night
Beaglenut,

Glad you are also pleased with the Max. It will be interesting to hear about how the Max works out for a first-time tractor owner. I'll bet there are more than a few folks visiting the forum who are about to make that initial purchase and are wondering about the Max series.

I'm not familiar with the Farmline brand so I cannot comment on the FM. A quick way to keep those bolts on, however, is an application of blue (not red) Loc-Tite (thread locker). If you don't have any already in your shop, get some. The blue will handle most any vibration-related issue of fastener loosening. The red is even more secure, but often requires heat to break the bond.

I understand that you certainly want a finish mower to do the best possible job on the lawn. I have to tell you, however, that sooner or later you will want to get a rotary cutter. That's because an RC is SO useful. It allows you handle coarse field grass with ease and helps to tame the "wilder" sections of your property which may be covered with brush, briars and even small trees about an inch or two in diameter. They are designed with the expectation that rocks and stumps will be encountered.

If I do all my mowing at one shot, there's about 10 acres of lawn quality grass to be done. Some of that, however, is next to a creek which tends to keep the ground moist and soft after a rain. The ground can get so soft that I cannot operate the ZTR without getting stuck or leaving tire ruts. Obviously there are periods where there are enough rainy days close together that mowing gets postponed much longer than I prefer. When the ground firms up, I run the RC first and then the ZTR later. In my opinion, the RC does an acceptable job on the lawn, especially if the observer is looking at the lawn from some distance and not standing directly on it.

I did a little write-up in the Mahindra Owning and Operating section about how I took care of the seatbelt situation. Let me know if you decide to go that route and have any questions.

Dennis

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night #37  
I had an issue with a new finishing mower 6 months ago. It was spewing lots of oil. On mine the vent cap was bad and the vent was right above the gear and it was slinging oil straight up to the vent cap. I rotated the top cover on the gear box and resealed it and changed the vent cap and don't have the issue anymore. According to the parts book the vent cap was on the wrong side. I would ask the dealer to send you a new vent cap and see if the issue goes away. You may have some oil come out from time to time, especially if you cut on hills or rough areas but it should not look like a problem.

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night #38  
Also, if you drop the loader where you park in the garage you can still park the tractor inside the loader arms and it it should not take much more space than if it is connected.

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night
Here's the latest story about the new Max.

I recently had 21,000 pounds of crushed stone delivered to the site where my pole barn is nearing completion. This was to be used mostly around the exterior front of the building, so I had the driver of the tri-axle dump it just outside the sliding doors. This effectively blocked the entrance, but there was still a lot of work to be done on the interior and I figured to just leave all the machines outside for now because they would be in the way.

Then this Sandy thing became known. Since it was projected to head over my part of the state, I had to decide how to protect the machines. I've got plenty of tarps which would keep the water off, but feared the wind would flap the tarps severely, damaging the paint.

The best solution seemed to be to move all the construction stuff to one corner of the barn and bring in the machines in a bit earlier than planned. I first had to get rid of the stone pile, which is the reason for this update.

I'm happy to say that even with no weight on the back, the Max had zero trouble lifting full bucket loads of stone and transporting it wherever needed. The little tractor made short work of this project and I was able to bring all the toys inside the shelter of the barn. I had everything done well before the heavy rains and wind began.

Dennis

/ New Max 28 HST/Loader Delivered Last Night #40  
dadreier said:
Here's the latest story about the new Max.

I recently had 21,000 pounds of crushed stone delivered to the site where my pole barn is nearing completion. This was to be used mostly around the exterior front of the building, so I had the driver of the tri-axle dump it just outside the sliding doors. This effectively blocked the entrance, but there was still a lot of work to be done on the interior and I figured to just leave all the machines outside for now because they would be in the way.

Then this Sandy thing became known. Since it was projected to head over my part of the state, I had to decide how to protect the machines. I've got plenty of tarps which would keep the water off, but feared the wind would flap the tarps severely, damaging the paint.

The best solution seemed to be to move all the construction stuff to one corner of the barn and bring in the machines in a bit earlier than planned. I first had to get rid of the stone pile, which is the reason for this update.

I'm happy to say that even with no weight on the back, the Max had zero trouble lifting full bucket loads of stone and transporting it wherever needed. The little tractor made short work of this project and I was able to bring all the toys inside the shelter of the barn. I had everything done well before the heavy rains and wind began.

Dennis

Congrats on the new Max!