Max 25 vs 28

/ Max 25 vs 28 #1  

Beaglenut

Tractor
Mahindra Max 28XL HST
As long as I have no bad surprises on my test drive tomorrow I'm going to buy one of these two machines with a FEL and a rear finishing mower and a rear blade for the driveway. I have 20 acres on a new place to take care of, about half wooded, 5 acres mowable (though I plan to let some of that grow up and probably only continue to mow 2 acres) and 5 in an overgrown field I want to eventually develop in food plots. I'm OK with getting a farmer with a big tractor to brush hog and maybe disk up the field before I try to attack it with a (future purchase) tiller or something of the sort. The Max 28 is $1,400 more than the 25, can anybody tell my why I'd want the bigger machine? The mowing I'll continue to do includes going around a pond so the wider footprint / better stability on the 28 would probably be good, but I don't know if I realy need it just for that.

/ Max 25 vs 28 #2  
As long as I have no bad surprises on my test drive tomorrow I'm going to buy one of these two machines with a FEL and a rear finishing mower and a rear blade for the driveway. I have 20 acres on a new place to take care of, about half wooded, 5 acres mowable (though I plan to let some of that grow up and probably only continue to mow 2 acres) and 5 in an overgrown field I want to eventually develop in food plots. I'm OK with getting a farmer with a big tractor to brush hog and maybe disk up the field before I try to attack it with a (future purchase) tiller or something of the sort. The Max 28 is $1,400 more than the 25, can anybody tell my why I'd want the bigger machine? The mowing I'll continue to do includes going around a pond so the wider footprint / better stability on the 28 would probably be good, but I don't know if I really need it just for that.

I found the tilt steering, extra foot/leg room, and joystick position more comfortable, on the 28XL. Have fun test driving :D

/ Max 25 vs 28 #3  
Depending on what type of terrain you'll be navigating on, the larger tires on the 28 may be a big help.

The 28 gets a different loader which is more robust. Over 500 pounds greater lift capacity. The 3-point lift capacity is 800 pounds greater as well.

Just from these few facts, you should begin to see that the difference between the 25 and 28 is much more than a couple of HP.

Dennis

/ Max 25 vs 28
Thanks much for the responses, I bought the 28XL HST (even though I only got to drive the 25, the 28 I'm driving is on the showroom floor and the only other one they had in stock was the shuttle / gear drive). Unfortunately the mower has to be ordered so I won't get it all for a week or so but I'll hopefully be playing around on my new tractor by next weekend.

I started my shopping process looking green, then expanded to orange and blue, but once I found the Mahindras and talked to a few people who knew tractors it was a pretty easy choice. THe only concern I have is the dealer being 60 miles from my place, but it's also a dealer I've dealt with before (bought a new Husqavarna chain saw there) and have been very happy with.

/ Max 25 vs 28 #5  
At least you got the 28. 20 Acres really needs a larger tractor, but the 28 small size is very handy. The type of terrain you'll be navigating on, the larger tires on the 28 will be a big help. The 25 is for yards, not fields.

/ Max 25 vs 28 #6  
I am looking at the Max 28XL as well. I could use some input on getting the shuttle vs HST. One thing I dont like about the shuttle is the pto disengages anytime the clutch is depressed to change direction or speed I think>

Thanks,

LS

/ Max 25 vs 28 #7  
I can't comment on much about either one, I haven't gotten my 28 yet, but the price difference between the hst and the shuttle was only 1k, not enough of a difference either way if you're wanting or looking for something specific. I went hst for ease of operation as I know I won't be the only person using it (my folks already have designs, heh).

/ Max 25 vs 28 #8  
I am looking at the Max 28XL as well. I could use some input on getting the shuttle vs HST. One thing I dont like about the shuttle is the pto disengages anytime the clutch is depressed to change direction or speed I think>

Thanks,

LS

If you are going to use for row crops and have a football field yard to mow, get the shuttle. If you are going to use for a tiller in the garden, three point sprayer, fertilizer distribution, residential loader work or in your yard, have trees and shurberry and other obstacles you have to back up and manuver around while mowing, get the Hydro.

/ Max 25 vs 28 #9  
Gator6x4 said:
If you are going to use for row crops and have a football field yard to mow, get the shuttle. If you are going to use for a tiller in the garden, three point sprayer, fertilizer distribution, residential loader work or in your yard, have trees and shurberry and other obstacles you have to back up and manuver around while mowing, get the Hydro.

Well put. :thumbsup: