6110 Cab. Is it going to be big enough?

/ 6110 Cab. Is it going to be big enough? #1  

mud23609

Bronze Member
Looking to replace my old Ford 3000 with a cab and loader with a newer cabbed loader tractor.

I know the 6110 will be big enough for most tasks but how well will it handle carrying round bales on the front loader. One of my requirements (which my 3000 dose not meet) is the ability to handle a 1200-1400 pound bale on the front loader without ballast other than liquid filled rears. I haul bales front and rear but often I find my feeders frozen in during the winter and need the ability to be able to lift and drop the second bale into the feeder on sometimes less than ideal ground conditions (deep snow/mud) to avoid tearing up my feeders by jerking them out of the frozen ground.

Having a cab is a must. I have two farms ten miles apart and a cabbed loader tractor each (JD 4020 on the other one) and if one goes down need to be able to road the other one there in any and all conditions to get the stock fed. Thirty below or blizzard conditions make an open station tractor undesirable to say the least in that situation.

The farm it will be on is the home place and it will be required to feed out right around a 120 rounds a year It also needs to be able to assist in the loading and unloading of the approximately 500 total bales I feed out each year (the rest are used on the other place but I haul need a loader tractor on both ends for hauling). Other uses include bush hogging pastures (eight foot) pulling a v rake and general upkeep around the farm which my ford handles quite well. I like the smaller size of the 6110 and my ford for most uses over my larger 4020 especially for close in work. This tractor will not be needed for the moco or the baler (I also have another open station 4020) that can handle that but with no cab or loader makes a poor tractor for winter feeding.

I had thought about the 8560 but would prefer to stay with the 6110 both because of price point and storage issues (8560 cab wont clear the barn door on the home place).

So those of you that have experience with the 6110 do you think it will handle the work ok? Granted the old ford has done if for the last five years since I bought this second farm but it sure could use some improvement on the feeding part and its not built heavy enough in the front end to take the pounding (I have become a pro however at replacing the wheel bearings and keep a set of bearings and seals in stock for it.)

HST is off the table. I have found that I hate having the brakes on the left side when operating other equipment though I would love to be able to get a hydraulic shuttle trans similar to the one in the 5035.

/ 6110 Cab. Is it going to be big enough?
I know they have the loader capacity. My worry is more along the lines of is the front axle going to be heavy enough in build to not have issues with excessive wear and is the whole tractor going to be stable enough to lift a bale on the front loader without any ballast other than loaded tires. Those are the two main issues I currently have with my 3000 other than the ones relating to its old age. Replacing the wheel bearings on a 4x4 is a bigger job than on the 3000 which takes me about a half hour per side. The stability issue is also a big one for me. Not being able to lift a bale into the feeder with out having another bale or my mower hanging off the back means additional trips into and out of the pasture which is less than ideal and not something I want to have to deal with in a new tractor purchase. At the same time I want to be able to shed the tractor without having to build another building not only because of the initial cost but because they tax me enough as it is.

My other farm is used mainly for raising beef cattle, however the home place is for my horses, boarding operation, and my horse training and I keep a good number (40 or so) calves on the place of varying sizes for roping, cutting, steer wrestling, and team penning.

As an aside the smaller tractor is also much better for dragging the arenas, especially the smaller indoor one than the 4020 or other larger tractors could ever hope to be.

/ 6110 Cab. Is it going to be big enough? #4  
If it was me, make the door bigger and get the 8560. You won't ever say I should have gotten the heavier tractor.

/ 6110 Cab. Is it going to be big enough? #5  
I think the 6110 is a good size for what you describe. You seem like you are realistic about your requirements and you understand duty cycle. For example, even though the 6110 is rated at 2900 lbs, it really isn't designed to hold 2900 lbs 100% of the time. If it was, it would be a commerical loader like a Cat 928 or whatever, not a multi-purpose farm tractor with loader. But at 50% of rated capacity, I think you will do well with the 6110. It is much beefier than the 6010. Bigger tires, bigger axles, etc. Probably just filling the rears will be adequate ballast, but you always have the option of wheel weights if you need a little more. I find the clutch on the 6110 to be really positive. It is in or it is out. That takes a little getting used to, but also means the clutch should last forever. Not much slipping going on.

/ 6110 Cab. Is it going to be big enough?
Thanks for your response Davestractor. That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

One other thing that I just noticed when looking at the specs is it mentions that it a partial syncro trans. You wouldn't happen to know which gears have the syncro would you?

The feedback on the clutch is a good thing in my mind. Did the clutch on my 3000 last year. I would be ok with not having to split another tractor again in my lifetime :laughing:

ENG18LT, Your point about the heavier tractor is certainly a valid one. Unfortunately, the area I have to park the tractor in is a lean-too off the end of my indoor arena that will not allow me to go with a larger door due to framing issues. The 8560 would also be a hair to big to get into the horse barn with comfortably (although it would fit) if I needed to.

Another consideration is the money would have to put out would put me into the territory of a low hour late model cabbed New Holland which would probably be the way I would go in that situation as I do have a decent relationship with the local dealer for that brand.

/ 6110 Cab. Is it going to be big enough? #7  
You can upshift through the 4-speed fine, and you can downshift from 4th to 3rd fine, but you can't downshift into 2nd or 1st without nearly coming to a stop. The shuttle is syncho also, so you can engage the clutch and start your forward to reverse gear-change before the tractor is completely stopped. Of course that does not mean it is smart to use the reverser as a brake, it is best to let is stop before letting the clutch back out. Overall a nice shifting transmission and the lack of full synchro isn't really annoying. Since there are several ranges, you won't find yourself shifting back and forth a lot into the lower gears for most tasks.

/ 6110 Cab. Is it going to be big enough? #8  
For what it is worth: I have 5010 cab, it will pick up your bales no problem, but water in tires is not enough ballast it gets real light. I feel mine is a little lighter than the 6110. I really really like the tractor! It has been great.

/ 6110 Cab. Is it going to be big enough? #9  
The 6110 is about 800 lbs heavier than the 5010, but more importantly (concerning stability) the front axle is pushed forward a bit. That moves the fulcrum point and makes things more stable. So we have additional built in weight and a longer wheelbase and less back-wheelies. On the flip side, the 5010 has a really nice tight turning radius due to the shorter wheelbase, but it for sure needs ballast lifting heavier loads.

/ 6110 Cab. Is it going to be big enough? #10  
Thanks for the info davestractor! I told my wife this summer the 5010 has been such a great tractor for what we do I wanted to get a second with hst and open station for planting. I was shut down quickly with " no, they have a 6010 now, I think it would be nice to have a larger tractor."
I do love her.
Thank you again for sharing about the designs. Does the 6110 have 2 piece wheels in the front with ag tires?
Jody