HELP - Going to look at a '04ish Mahindra 2015

/ HELP - Going to look at a '04ish Mahindra 2015 #1  

nuke

Bronze Member
It's a 2015, 250hrs, loader. It says '4wd' on the side, could this be HST? The seller wasn't clear on this. I cannot see that these came in powershift or glideshift so I presume it's gear drive.

I know glow plugs can be an issue ($200 upgrade), what else should I look for? At least its not too far from my house...

/ HELP - Going to look at a '04ish Mahindra 2015 #2  
It certainly could be an HST, most that I sold were HST models. Check to see if the glow plugs stay on for 10 seconds, as that means the glow system has been updated. I can't think of any other issues that I have encountered. the 2015 has been a very reliable tractor. Good luck !

/ HELP - Going to look at a '04ish Mahindra 2015 #3  
It's a 2015, 250hrs, loader. It says '4wd' on the side, could this be HST? The seller wasn't clear on this. I cannot see that these came in powershift or glideshift so I presume it's gear drive.

I know glow plugs can be an issue ($200 upgrade), what else should I look for? At least its not too far from my house...

IIRC, the early 15 series, of which this would be one, said 4wd on the gear model and HST on the HST model. People would ask why the HST wasn't a 4wd and we would have to explain that it actually was...

So I'd guess that this is a gear model. Rock solid tractor.

/ HELP - Going to look at a '04ish Mahindra 2015
There was oil on the outside of the gear box (on top and down to the bottom) under the seat on this GEAR model, any idea of the problem? Big issue?

It shifted fine BTW.

/ HELP - Going to look at a '04ish Mahindra 2015 #5  
What you are explaining could possibly just be a spill when filling the transmission.

Possibly spillage. I plan to clean it and keep an eye on it. I bought it BTW. I hoped the oil was minor and could be fixed relatively cheap.

It does have the old glow plugs. Should I wait until they fail and do the upgrade or is their a cheaper upgrade to lower the voltage and extend the timer to 10 sec?

Any input on grades and capacities for oil, tranny, differential lubes would be great. I'm looking on here, but its not jumping up and biting me at the moment.

Thanks for the responses!

/ HELP - Going to look at a '04ish Mahindra 2015 #7  
What you are explaining could possibly just be a spill when filling the transmission.

I agree, and there is also a hydraulic line under there that has a 7/8" or maybe 15/16" bolt head that is actually a hollow banjo bolt. Some of those were not tight enough on a batch or two of those tractors. An offset box end wrench will reach it. You might check that.

As far as capacities and such, you might get acquainted with your local dealer and order a manual. A 2216 manual is the same as the 2015 spec wise, so that would work fine also.

On the glow plugs, if it starts well, just leave it alone for now.

/ HELP - Going to look at a '04ish Mahindra 2015 #8  
Hey Nuke, congrats on the tractor purchase. By chance, was it listed on Craigslist? I was keeping my eye on it for a while but didn't see it posted in a month. I guess you beat me to it. :thumbsup:

It was on CL in Fredericksburg, VA as located at LAKE ANNA/SPOTSYLVANIA. The Ad had no pictures or details, but when I called I found out the year, hours and it had a loader and I was suprised. Good luck on your search Lumberbean.

Hey DavesTractor - I tightened the bolt you referred to in your post and cleaned the oil off. I'll have to wait and see it that was the issue.