Buying Advice How far away is too far...

/ How far away is too far... #1  

iptman

Gold Member
Tractor
Scag Tiger Cat, 61", Kioti CX2510
I really like the Max tractors but the closest dealer is an hour and a half away. Lots of Deere and Kubota dealers within 30 minutes drive though. How much dealer support is required for a SCUT and more specifically how much dealer support has been required by folks with the 22/25 Max tractors?

Thanks,
Patrick

/ How far away is too far... #2  
I live about an hour away from my Kubota dealer. The only time I go there is to pick up oil and filters. If you are going to do your own maintenance the trips to the dealer wouldn't be that frequent. But if the dealer is going to do the service I would recommend the closest one.

/ How far away is too far...
I'll be able to do all the regular maintenance myself. I'm more worried about power train warranty work and one off repairs I couldn't do myself. Also, one other piece of info, the Mahindra dealer just got started with them a month ago.

/ How far away is too far... #4  
In the five years that I have owned my Kubota it has never needed any warranty work. That's big plus for me. I have no experience with Mahindra but have read some very good reviews by Mahindra owners on this forum. Maybe some Mahindra folks will chime in here.

/ How far away is too far... #5  
After looking at all the compact tractors that met my requirements, I ended up with a Mahindra 3016 Shuttle. The nearest Mahindra dealer that could get one at that time was 5 hrs away. I have had it for a 1.5 years without an issue. I order my filters and parts on-line and have them shipped to me (I do my own wrenching/maintenance). I live in NE Nevada and the only compact tractor dealer in town is Kubota/Bobcat, otherwise I have a minimum 3+ hr drive to get to any other tractor dealer. I guess it would be important if your livelyhood counted on the tractor, but that is not my case.

Dave

/ How far away is too far... #6  
I am also over an hour away from my nearest John Deere farm tractor service/parts store and maybe five minutes more the other way to my Mahindra... Depends on what type of service you plan to do on your own and how needy a person you are. There are lots of non-Ford/Chevy/Dodge vehicles around this area.... and no dealers close. If you are a farmer or in a business where you can't stand a little down time, then a close by dealer is a must. But now days, with parts availible on the internet, you can get stuff just about as fast as your dealer can.

/ How far away is too far... #7  
my kubota dealer is 90 mins away the only time i got the blues going there is with my tractor in tow i hate the people that cut me off other then that its not bad a max mahindra is not that heavy borrow a truck n trailer to take to dealers for warrenty work that a little worry i wouldnt lose sleep over it i just buy what you what if you want it get it

/ How far away is too far... #8  
You guys must be used to living in a city where you can walk everywhere. An hours drive in Houston is a commute to work, a 2-3 hour commute in L.A. to work is common. While it is nice to have a dealer in your back yard, that doesn't happen very often. When it takes 30 minutes to hook up a trailer, load the tractor and tie it down, an hour or hour and half drive isn't that far especially when you consider that you may never need to drive it there EVER.

/ How far away is too far... #9  
My dealer could be in Timbuktu for all I care. Been there twice.

/ How far away is too far... #10  
i have a max 22, have had one issue with it, a leaking fuel filter after 1 hour of use. Called dealer because i wasnt happy, they came and fixed at my house. normally i would have done the service myself. Other than that, no problems with the tractor thus far.