Mahindra Max 28XL HST vs Kubota 2920 HSD with FEL, 60" mower, and BH

/ Mahindra Max 28XL HST vs Kubota 2920 HSD with FEL, 60" mower, and BH #31  
Very true.

Kioti in past was very bad on paint.

/ Mahindra Max 28XL HST vs Kubota 2920 HSD with FEL, 60" mower, and BH #32  
Subscribed!

/ Mahindra Max 28XL HST vs Kubota 2920 HSD with FEL, 60" mower, and BH #33  
Well let me say the Mahindra dealer was a very nice guy. Unfortunately the customer experience was lacking as was the tractor in quality. I made an appointment to check out Max28 today, they had days to prepare. I drove 140 miles round trip and when I got there half the tractor was MIA no backhoe no mower deck. They were 10 miles away at another facility. Then I noticed it didn't have the swivel seat for the backhow, the dealer insisted there wasn't a swivel seat rather the backhoe had its own seat e.g. a two seat setup. He did some checking and later agreed I was correct. This told me I knew more about the tractor than the dealer.

The tractor itself, rust everywhere in the nooks and crannies. There was rust on both axle housing for example, dealer said it was dirt, I wiped some off and showed him it was rust. :talktothehand: It looks like the areas painted black on the tractor were rusted before it was painted. Even the FEL control block protected up under the housing was rusting. Big turn off to be wire brushing rust and painting a brand new $26,000 tractor.

One of the quick disconnects for the FEL was bent off to the left at an angle where the rest were all straight I'm sure its fine functionally but speaks to attention to detail. The birds nest of hydraulic hoses wow, poor routing, some lines just laid along an edge of the frame where they could rub through, this was worse in person than I saw in pictures. Kubota very neat and tidy routing of lines and good protection. I could see the Mahindra hoses getting caught in the brush. Location of the FEL control hung off the FEL looked half assed. Kubota right there at your hip where it belongs. You could see Kubota took the time to route those lines and locate that control with thought to ergonomics. **** this dealer had a cheaper Korean brand tractor on the lot and it was similar to Kubota. IMO Mahindra really should get their act together in this area. It wasn't all bad, the FEL was built like a brick shithouse, 1/4 inch steel vs the Kubota 3/16. I liked other things about it. Mahindra has thicker sheet metal fenders and floor, I found the Kubota flimsy in comparison.

Lots more to say about both tractors but we are just heading out to dinner so more later. I will say this though, the Kubota dealer got within $600 of my best price on the Mahindra and overall the Kubota has more features. Fit and finish on the Kubota was flawless. I also noticed the rubber floor mats on the B2920 are thicker and better quality than the BX I commented on earlier.

Interesting. Of course I read this and went out and looked at mine a bit closer (as well as checked the oil and air filter.. bout time for a new air filter).. there's some rust in spots where it would appear that things rubbed into something (or the articulation stops for the front axle), but little to none anywhere else. the tractor is not always parked under cover and I pressure wash it when it gets really nasty. No rust on the FEL controls, and really nothing but **** clay on the underside of it.

All that to say, it sounds like the people you talked to didn't really have their act together, and it doesn't sound like that particular example was really representative of the lineup. In addition to mine, I looked at two other max 28's at my dealer when I was up there recently (mostly seeing what the difference in layout is between the shuttle setup and the hst setup) and there was nothing remarkable or different from the fit and finish as compared with mine.

since this thread is a couple of months old now, hopefully you've found something that suits your needs :thumbsup:

/ Mahindra Max 28XL HST vs Kubota 2920 HSD with FEL, 60" mower, and BH
Interesting. Of course I read this and went out and looked at mine a bit closer (as well as checked the oil and air filter.. bout time for a new air filter).. there's some rust in spots where it would appear that things rubbed into something (or the articulation stops for the front axle), but little to none anywhere else. the tractor is not always parked under cover and I pressure wash it when it gets really nasty. No rust on the FEL controls, and really nothing but **** clay on the underside of it.

All that to say, it sounds like the people you talked to didn't really have their act together, and it doesn't sound like that particular example was really representative of the lineup. In addition to mine, I looked at two other max 28's at my dealer when I was up there recently (mostly seeing what the difference in layout is between the shuttle setup and the hst setup) and there was nothing remarkable or different from the fit and finish as compared with mine.

since this thread is a couple of months old now, hopefully you've found something that suits your needs :thumbsup:

I did thanks, Kubota 2920. I have 28 hours on it so far and quite happy with it. The deal killer on the Mahindra was I found they reduced the backhoe specs considerably, the previous Mahindra backhoe was spec'd closer to the Kubota BH65 I got with the B2920. I have many stumps to dig so this was a consideration.

k1.jpg

/ Mahindra Max 28XL HST vs Kubota 2920 HSD with FEL, 60" mower, and BH #35  
that's a sharp machine. I didn't look at the 'botas as much, the two dealers I spoke with on the phone acted like.... their stuff didn't stink, for lack of a better description.

did they throw in the truck and trailer? :laughing:

/ Mahindra Max 28XL HST vs Kubota 2920 HSD with FEL, 60" mower, and BH #36  
that's a sharp machine. I didn't look at the 'botas as much, the two dealers I spoke with on the phone acted like.... their stuff didn't stink, for lack of a better description.

I guess dealers matter, my experience with the local Kubota dealer was altogether different than the Mahindra dealer. Their equipment was immaculate and the sales person I worked with knew the Kubota's inside and out, he and the owner could not have been nicer to me probably the best buying experience I ever had buying anything. Now their mechanic/delivery guy who was supposed to spend some time teaching me about the tractor that was another story, I sent the buffoon away as I was about ready to choke him out.

/ Mahindra Max 28XL HST vs Kubota 2920 HSD with FEL, 60" mower, and BH #38  
I did thanks, Kubota 2920. I have 28 hours on it so far and quite happy with it. The deal killer on the Mahindra was I found they reduced the backhoe specs considerably, the previous Mahindra backhoe was spec'd closer to the Kubota BH65 I got with the B2920. I have many stumps to dig so this was a consideration.

k1.jpg

Good looking machine right there! Enjoy!

/ Mahindra Max 28XL HST vs Kubota 2920 HSD with FEL, 60" mower, and BH #39  
I guess dealers matter, my experience with the local Kubota dealer was altogether different than the Mahindra dealer. Their equipment was immaculate and the sales person I worked with knew the Kubota's inside and out, he and the owner could not have been nicer to me probably the best buying experience I ever had buying anything. Now their mechanic/delivery guy who was supposed to spend some time teaching me about the tractor that was another story, I sent the buffoon away as I was about ready to choke him out.

I imagine it's the same when buying a car to some degree.. you want someone that's knowledgeable and open to discussion and who has their stuff together in general. the guy that dropped mine off was nice, he showed me all the basics regarding operation, etc, but it's one of those things.. you can tell someone all day long 'how' it's supposed to work, until they get in there and start pulling handles and hitting pedals, it's just theory to them. I'm all hands on, I probably forgot everything he told me, and then re-figured it out in the back yard 20 minutes later. (and also that thorns on these dang bradford pears will ruin your next day when you go outside and find a flat tire on your 2 hour old machine :censored: ..speaking of, I have to pull one out of my ztr tire and patch it today. aaahh the joys of land )

If I knew what I was doing I could probably get by with marginal dealer support and I imagine much like the other mechanical things I've got laying around, at some point I will get there, but until then it's really nice to be able to call em and ask questions every now and again, or go in and talk to the head mechanic and get no-bs info.

I imagine it's the same when buying a car to some degree.. you want someone that's knowledgeable and open to discussion and who has their stuff together in general. the guy that dropped mine off was nice, he showed me all the basics regarding operation, etc, but it's one of those things.. you can tell someone all day long 'how' it's supposed to work, until they get in there and start pulling handles and hitting pedals, it's just theory to them. I'm all hands on, I probably forgot everything he told me, and then re-figured it out in the back yard 20 minutes later. (and also that thorns on these dang bradford pears will ruin your next day when you go outside and find a flat tire on your 2 hour old machine :censored: ..speaking of, I have to pull one out of my ztr tire and patch it today. aaahh the joys of land )

If I knew what I was doing I could probably get by with marginal dealer support and I imagine much like the other mechanical things I've got laying around, at some point I will get there, but until then it's really nice to be able to call em and ask questions every now and again, or go in and talk to the head mechanic and get no-bs info.

This delivery guy in an attempt to show off some fancy backhoe move while backing the brand new tractor off the trailer onto my brand new driveway drove the backhoe shovel into the driveway with the backhoe controls, then ground it along the driveway about 2 feet gouging a bunch of metal off the backhoe bucket and leaving a trail of orange paint on the driveway...THEN laughed like it was funny :censored: gawd I wanted to choke him. That was the beginning if his idiocy I put up with about another 10 minutes then told him to leave.