Plastic Mahindra?

/ Plastic Mahindra? #1  

buck12

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota 5460HSTC
When did Mahindra add so much plastic to their tractors? I had to stop by the dealer this past week for a fan belt for my 2615. While there I took a peek at a 3616 as I thought this would be good tractor if I ever decide to upgrade. I was disappointed to see the use of so much plastic. I have a green lawn mower with plenty of cracked plastic and don't want plastic on tractor being that I use it as a tractor.

/ Plastic Mahindra? #2  
When did Mahindra add so much plastic to their tractors? I had to stop by the dealer this past week for a fan belt for my 2615. While there I took a peek at a 3616 as I thought this would be good tractor if I ever decide to upgrade. I was disappointed to see the use of so much plastic. I have a green lawn mower with plenty of cracked plastic and don't want plastic on tractor being that I use it as a tractor.

Don't know. My 2008 Mahindra 5525 has minimal plastic (steering wheel grip, clear plastic window on the instrument cluster, plastic lenses on the lights, plastic seat cushions, floormat). Steel elsewhere on the tractor.

/ Plastic Mahindra? #3  
It is easier to mold the plastic into unique shapes than the steel. Well, at least in theory.

This impact test was posted a while ago (Kubota & John Deere).
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ating/273024-who-says-plastic-isnt-tough.html

If done right, the plastic will have some reinforcing fiber.

However, plastic does often get brittle over time. I wonder how thses plastic bits and pieces will hold up 10 or 20 years from now. 30, 40, or 50 years?

Steel, of course, bends and rusts, but is also very repairable.

/ Plastic Mahindra?
It is easier to mold the plastic into unique shapes than the steel. Well, at least in theory.

This impact test was posted a while ago (Kubota & John Deere).
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/273024-who-says-plastic-isnt-tough.html

If done right, the plastic will have some reinforcing fiber.

However, plastic does often get brittle over time. I wonder how thses plastic bits and pieces will hold up 10 or 20 years from now. 30, 40, or 50 years?

Steel, of course, bends and rusts, but is also very repairable.

The plastic used on my 1996 Yamaha four wheeler has held up to hard use. The fenders flex and give. I have even broke the metal front fender braces a couple of times. Yet my JD mower is newer and the plastic is brittle. The plastic on the Mahindra fenders seems similar to the JD plastic. I could picture a limb catching on the loader arm and popping the fender flare resulting in a trip to the dealer and a lighter wallet:)

/ Plastic Mahindra?
Don't know. My 2008 Mahindra 5525 has minimal plastic (steering wheel grip, clear plastic window on the instrument cluster, plastic lenses on the lights, plastic seat cushions, floormat). Steel elsewhere on the tractor.

Sounds similar to my 06 2615.

/ Plastic Mahindra? #6  

It does have plastic fender extensions that bolt to the steel fenders, other than that I don't see any more plastic than on your 2615. The grill is plastic, as is yours on the 2615. The dash is plastic as is your 2615. So other than the fender extensions, I'm not really seeing more plastic. The hood is steel, so are the side panels.

/ Plastic Mahindra?
It does have plastic fender extensions that bolt to the steel fenders, other than that I don't see any more plastic than on your 2615. The grill is plastic, as is yours on the 2615. The dash is plastic as is your 2615. So other than the fender extensions, I'm not really seeing more plastic. The hood is steel, so are the side panels.

You are probably right about the amount of plastic but why add plastic to a vulnerable area. I bush hog miles of trails at the hunting camp and the fenders and sides of my tractor take a beating. I view a tractor as a tool and the operator should be able to use it without watching every limb. I use my tractor as a tractor and don't worry about scratches however scratched fenders are one thing and cracked/broken fenders are another. I guess I was just disappointed to see what I view as an inferior material after my experience with expensive green plastic:) I have a 93 model truck that is in great shape except some of the interior plastic. I just wish companies built stuff to last. When I bought my tractor I liked the simple relatively rugged design that I didn't see on other tractors.

/ Plastic Mahindra? #8  
You are probably right about the amount of plastic but why add plastic to a vulnerable area. I bush hog miles of trails at the hunting camp and the fenders and sides of my tractor take a beating. I view a tractor as a tool and the operator should be able to use it without watching every limb. I use my tractor as a tractor and don't worry about scratches however scratched fenders are one thing and cracked/broken fenders are another. I guess I was just disappointed to see what I view as an inferior material after my experience with expensive green plastic:) I have a 93 model truck that is in great shape except some of the interior plastic. I just wish companies built stuff to last. When I bought my tractor I liked the simple relatively rugged design that I didn't see on other tractors.

I understand your point. In your situation if you had a 3016/3616, I'd just unbolt the fender extensions and hang them in the shop. You still have metal fenders underneath, save for the flare. I suppose the plastic flare will take a little bit of impact without damage, and at that point can be a plus. But if you hit one too hard, it would break, but at that point your metal fender would be bent up as well.

In general, be it automotive or tractor, plastic parts are a mixed bag in my opinion. The problem is that you can't know whether they will hold up and look good and not crack until they have some age on them. Whereas metal with paint on it is pretty much a known product. So I favor metal as well, and Mahindra has done a pretty good job of keeping minimal plastic on their units. But as plastic progress and costs become a concern, it seems inevitable that more plastic will be in or on most products we buy. My concern in the sunny hot climates is the way UV can break down plastic.

/ Plastic Mahindra? #9  
I just bought a 3016 shuttle. The second day I had it, I broke the plastic finger that divides the shift pattern (don't put your hand there to help you get up out of your seat). A week later, I was going back and forth from tractor seat to hook up an implement - instinctively put my hand on the lower corner of the fender extension as I went around......too much weight I guess - cracked the plastic at the base where the fender meets the tail light area.

Don't get me wrong - I love the tractor! ...BUT you have to pay attention to what is plastic and what is not....I learned that the hard way!

/ Plastic Mahindra? #10  
I just bought a 3016 shuttle. The second day I had it, I broke the plastic finger that divides the shift pattern (don't put your hand there to help you get up out of your seat). A week later, I was going back and forth from tractor seat to hook up an implement - instinctively put my hand on the lower corner of the fender extension as I went around......too much weight I guess - cracked the plastic at the base where the fender meets the tail light area.

Don't get me wrong - I love the tractor! ...BUT you have to pay attention to what is plastic and what is not....I learned that the hard way!

I did the exact same thing, part on line is 137 plus shipping. Did you replace yours?