Tractor
    None

Default Liquid-filled tires...how much weight does it add? (figuring towing needs)

Looking to buy a Mahindra 4110, which is about 3 hours from us, so it'll need to be towed. TractorData says it's about 4,000 lbs (assuming that's without the FEL?). So it has a FEL, and the owner says the tires are liquid-filled. He is unsure of how much weight that adds, nor does he know what the liquid is, as that was done by the first owner. Is there anyone who could give me a ball-park as to what the total weight might be with the loaded tires and the FEL? Just trying to figure out our towing needs.

Thanks.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

Default Re: Liquid-filled tires...how much weight does it add? (figuring towing needs)

According to Rim Guard chart 14.9 x 24 tires add 500 lbs per tire.
    Artificial Intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity.

Branson 2400H MMM & FEL

JD 112

BX1850 gone but not forgotten

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100F IH McCormick Farmall 140, Massey Ferguson 135

Default Re: Liquid-filled tires...how much weight does it add? (figuring towing needs)

Here is a link to a chart for number of gallons by tire size. Then of course multiply by the weight of the material in the tires. Rimguard and calcium chloride will be in the 11 lbs/gallon range. Antifreeze, water and windshield washer fluid will be in the 8 lbs/gallon range. You will need to extract a bit of fluid through the valve stem to determine the material used for ballast.

Liquid Tire Ballast Chart
    Beware of the barrenness of a busy life....Socrates

The loader is 12 to 1300 lbs.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

Roughly 6500 lbs with loader and filled tires. Too heavy for a typical 7000 GVWR car hauler, but just right for a 10k equipment trailer.
    Dave
    Red Bluff, California

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2006 New Holland TC45A, 2009 Kubota L5740 HST

Quote Originally Posted by DavesTractor View Post
    Roughly 6500 lbs with loader and filled tires. Too heavy for a typical 7000 GVWR car hauler, but just right for a 10k equipment trailer.
    Do you know what a Mahindra 5035 with FEL and backhoe and filled tires would weigh? I have a 14,000 GVWR gooseneck trailer that I pull with a Dodge 2500 4WD.

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by CompleteLawnCare View Post
    Do you know what a Mahindra 5035 with FEL and backhoe and filled tires would weigh? I have a 14,000 GVWR gooseneck trailer that I pull with a Dodge 2500 4WD.
    Im not sure how much less than 14k, but Id guess in the 10k region. A 7520 with all 4 AGs filled, loader and B/H comes in around 13K.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2006 New Holland TC45A, 2009 Kubota L5740 HST

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK View Post
    Im not sure how much less than 14k, but Id guess in the 10k region. A 7520 with all 4 AGs filled, loader and B/H comes in around 13K.
    larry
    After I posted, I did some research on TractorData, and I think you are right.

Tractor = 5386 lbs
    FEL = 1450 lbs
    Backhoe = 1487 lbs
    Water in rears = 1216 lbs (19.4x24)

Total = 9539 lbs

I think you are close on your estimate of 10,000 lbs

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

Quote Originally Posted by CompleteLawnCare View Post
    After I posted, I did some research on TractorData, and I think you are right.

Tractor = 5386 lbs
    FEL = 1450 lbs
    Backhoe = 1487 lbs
    Water in rears = 1216 lbs (19.4x24)

Total = 9539 lbs

I think you are close on your estimate of 10,000 lbs
    If you go with Rim Guard or Calcium Chloride instead of water it will add another 250 lbs. Those numbers look good, 8300 lbs. without liquid ballast, 9500-9800 with ballast. It's a beast.

You ought to be ok with your 14k trailer. Assuming an empty trailer weight of about 4k, on the face of it you would assume a capacity of 10k for the trailer, but in many states you can actually get more as you can have 14k on your trailer axles and, depending on the truck, maybe 2k on the pin. So you ought to be just fine with a little to spare.

Let's get that tractor ordered.
    Dave
    Red Bluff, California

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - John Deere 42" Geardrive w/bagger purchased 2012 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2006

This is not advice, do with the information what you want, it's your hardware and I'm not the safety police...

Keep in mind your trailer is rated for highway speeds with the impacts of bumps and potholes factored in. If you are not travelling at highway speeds, and travelling on good roads, your trailer can exceed it's rating with no harm done. I don't advise everyone to do it, but I've used a 7k trailer for moving nearly 8k around many times and never had an issue nor created excessive wear on the hardware. Load the weight evenly, don't travel fast or on rough roads, don't travel high speeds, don't travel long distances that could overheat the bearings, grease the axle bearings often. 3 to 4 hours at the rated limits or slightly beyond, travelling 40-45 miles per hour on good roads is not too much to ask of a good quality trailer that's well maintained in my opinion.