New Tractor Owner, New Mahindra Owner, New Forum Member.

/ New Tractor Owner, New Mahindra Owner, New Forum Member. #1  

Sysop

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - Husqvarna TS348-D purchased 2019 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2003
First, I'd like to say hello and thank you to everyone who's posted any information on this site. It made selecting the proper tractor for my needs much simpler.

I've been looking at tractors for almost a year now, I've had limited experience with them in the past, and never owned anything larger than a Craftsman 20 horse lawn and garden tractor (riding mower...) I made my decision to go Mahindra for a number of reasons, and the 4035HST seemed like it would be the most ideal fit out of their models. I had researched several others, New Holland, JD, Kubota, Kioti; all were either too much for what they offered or not enough of what I needed. Many dealers here lack a proper selection of implements, Mahindra really was no different in that respect, but they had the minimum of what I needed. Financing, I wanted to get what I needed at the time of purchase and all at one place.

I went in and told them I'd like a price on a 4035HST with the frontloader and Bradco frame mount backhoe, 9 inch post hole auger, 5' finish mower, 5' standard duty rotary brush cutter, and I'd want the tires filled. I wanted 6' mowers, but all they had was 5' and said it would be long wait for the 6' mowers. I felt they were giving me a good deal, so signed the papers. We went over the operation of the tractor, then they delivered it late Thursday afternoon, 5/30/2013. They dropped everything off in front of my barn, and then turned the key over to me.

I took the tractor into the building and removed the backhoe so I could get the 3 point stuff hooked up and moved. Once I got the backhoe off I attempted to attach the three point links to move the mowers. As the title indicates, I'm new to tractors; so this wasn't an easy feat. I've dealt with some 3 point stuff on tractors that already had the links installed and setup for a given implement, but never had to do a setup myself. After spending more time than I care to admit, I admitted defeat and knew something was wrong. I got out the chains and hooked to the crate the finish mower arrived in, moved it out of the barnyard. Went back, unpacked the post hole digger out of the crate it was in and carried it in the building. Just as I went back out to chain up the brush mower, the delivery guy showed back up. He'd forgotten an important part of my 3 pt linkage in the floor of the truck! YAY! I start getting the links reconnected and everything ready to pick up the brush mower to move it, the lift arms won't come down... I messed with it a moment and remembered the knob under the seat that controls the descent speed, checked and it was all the way on fast. I turned it down and back up, went around to the back, gave a push down and they slowly went down. Once I got the brush hog hooked up I tried picking it up, no good... I went ahead and moved it from the barnyard and put things up for the night, it was getting dark and I had to work the following day.

I spent the evening reading up on the draft control functions, because use of that function wasn't entirely clear to me and I thought that might have been my problem. I went to work on Friday, which was a very long day, so I didn't have much opportunity to mess with it. Since from my reading I was now sure how I was supposed to have the draft control set when not needing draft control, I did give it another quick try Friday night with no luck. I did a bit more reading about people with lift issues before going to bed and learned the most common lift problems occurr when it is low on fluid.

Saturday: I get out all the maintenance checklist information, start going over the tractor from stem to stern. Pumped fresh grease in everything, checked the oil, axle, then the transmission/hydraulic fluid. The transmission/hydraulic fluid was VERY low. I could see it down in the chamber, but it wouldn't reach the dipstick. I called the dealer to learn they're closed on Saturdays... So I went and got some fluid from the local tractor supply and started adding it. Started with a half a quart, then a quart, then another quart; it wasn't until I had put an entire 2 gallon jug in it that it reached the dipstick!!! Still not into the safe range, I went and purchased 2 more 2 gallon jugs and took home. Started adding more, it took a total of 3.5 gallons to bring it into the mid range of the dipstick. I started the tractor, let everything warm up, tried the 3pt lift, nothing. Oh well, I need to use the finish mower, and for that they need to be down anyway... Hooked it up, ran it for 30 minutes around the barnyard, during which time, the 3pt raised on it's own! I hit the lever to put it down, it went down, I remowed what it caused me to miss, thought perhaps the system finally decided to work. Once I got done with the barnyard, I disconnected the finish mower and got ready to connect the brush hog. I tested the 3pt lift functionality, it wouldn't lift again. Parked the tractor and called it a day...

Sunday I spent doing family things, Monday I had to work out of town and had no time.

Tuesday: I stopped at the dealer, told him what had occurred thusfar. He gave me 3 gallons of hydraulic fluid to replace what I'd bought (I found that to be a good sign of the care I'd get from my dealer), and he gave me a procedure to run through for bleeding air from the system.

Wednesday I got off work early and tried what he told me, no luck.

Thursday I was off early again and I called back, he said he'd have his mechanic come look at it. The mechanic showed up and didn't like what he saw. He found one of the hydraulic lines that connects the rear remote ports leaking, tightening that took care of it. But there was still no lift on the rear arms and a particular noise he didn't like when he raised them by hand. He said either the valve inside, the chain inside, or a combination of the two was at fault, but he'd need to take it to the shop to work on it. He called the dealer, the dealer got the truck driver on the phone, said they'd be there to get it the following morning.

Friday (today): They picked it up at 8AM and took it back to the dealer. The mechanic took it apart and found the control valve putting fluid out where it shouldn't whenever the lift was activated. They told me they contacted MUSA and one of their traveling technicians is on his way south from PA, and he is going to stop in tomorrow (Saturday) and look at it and tell them how to proceed. MUSA wanted to have their technician look at it first hand to determine if it was a valve failure of some sort or an assembly issue.

So far, other than having a busted tractor from day one being a bit discouraging, I've been pleased overall with how it's been handled. Any thoughts from more experienced tractor owners than myself (which is nearly all tractor owners) are welcome!

dogonhoe.jpg

And of course no new thread is complete without a picture.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Last edited:
   / New Tractor Owner, New Mahindra Owner, New Forum Member. #2  
Welcome, Sysop. Welcome to TBN, and the Mahindra forum. Your dealer sounds like a genuine dud. A tractor should never be delivered before being thoroughly checked. In addition, upon delivery, they should be assured you are familiar with all controls, and everything is working properly. Sorry you got off to such a horrible start.

Your place looks beautiful.

/ New Tractor Owner, New Mahindra Owner, New Forum Member. #3  
Welcome to TBN.:tractor: that dealer ain't worth a crap/

/ New Tractor Owner, New Mahindra Owner, New Forum Member.
Welcome, Sysop. Welcome to TBN, and the Mahindra forum. Your dealer sounds like a genuine dud. A tractor should never be delivered before being thoroughly checked. In addition, upon delivery, they should be assured you are familiar with all controls, and everything is working properly. Sorry you got off to such a horrible start.

Your place looks beautiful.

In their defense, they stated everything was checked out and topped up before delivery. We've more or less established the fluid was lost during the loading and unloading of the equipment for delivery to me. Their records showed they had added 3/4 gallon to it when it arrived to them from the factory before placing it out for sale. Seems every time it was moved it was pumping fluid out.

They did go over the operation with me, but the backhoe was on the tractor, and all the implements were in shipping crates. I thought I understood the controls from my previous use of other people's tractors, reading the manual, and their explanations. The draft control wasn't anything I've had to deal with previously, so it was something I thought I might have been misunderstanding when the lift didn't work as I'd expected. Turned out my understanding of it and their explanation of it were both fine, the unit was the problem.

They may well be a dud, but I'm reserving that final judgement call upon the return of my tractor. Thusfar I feel I do need to give them an A on effort. They've increased my knowledge and done more than was asked in figuring a solution to the problem (I was still willing to try a couple more things before requesting service), and they gave me some free fluid to compensate for having to buy some. If they were REALLY bad I'd think they would have wanted me to pay the transportation back to their dealership since technically they don't cover that cost even on warranty problems.

Thanks for the compliment, it's "the family farm" and has been in the family for a VERY long time. It's now came down to my care, my Great Aunt did a wonderful job of preserving it in it's original state (the barn in the background was built in 1850 and still mostly all original, white in the image below, red in the one above), and I hope to get it all back into shape. Many things were neglected during the past 10-15 years of her life and she wouldn't let the rest of the family help. One of the big reasons for the tractor purchase is to replace the fenceposts my Great Grandfather set that have been falling over for quite some time now. It's really hard to set fenceposts without a working 3 point lift... :)

an old picture of the place (not much has changed)

New Farm House.jpg

Last edited:
   / New Tractor Owner, New Mahindra Owner, New Forum Member. #5  
How the heck can you "lose" several gallons of hyd fluid moving the tractor around at the dealer's place and during loading/unloading the tractor for delivery to the customer without the mess being noticed?

The rear remotes on my 5525 leak a little fluid so I check the hyd fluid level before I fire up the tractor. Also check oil and water levels and keep the air filter cleaned religiously (it's a diesel and dust can do an expensive number on the engine innards).

How the heck can you "lose" several gallons of hyd fluid moving the tractor around at the dealer's place and during loading/unloading the tractor for delivery to the customer without the mess being noticed?

The rear remotes on my 5525 leak a little fluid so I check the hyd fluid level before I fire up the tractor. Also check oil and water levels and keep the air filter cleaned religiously (it's a diesel and dust can do an expensive number on the engine innards).

It was leaking into the housing someplace it wasn't supposed to be. The leak on the line for the rear remotes was the only externally visible leak, and that leak was where the lines go into the housing rather than out by the ports, so it wasn't the easiest to see nor was fluid hitting the ground at a quantity it would be noticed. From my understanding, most of the "lost" fluid hit the ground when he pulled it apart, after draining the system.

I got a call from the mechanic today, the tractor is repaired and no parts were required. I'm assuming the MUSA tech found an assembly issue. I'll find out more on Monday when they schedule the delivery.

Last edited:
   / New Tractor Owner, New Mahindra Owner, New Forum Member. #7  
Glad to hear the dealer is getting it back to you. Ought to be interesting to find out what actually happened.

Glad to hear the dealer is getting it back to you. Ought to be interesting to find out what actually happened.

Pleases me totally! :)

I intend on finding out what it was, but considering the wording of the warranty makes me responsible for both transportation and any overtime, I wasn't asking questions and taking up any more of his time on Saturday when he called. They're not charging me anything at all (I'd jump up and down cussing if they did considering it didn't work upon delivery), but I didn't want to take time out of the man's weekend any more than needed. He'll be putting the floor pan and seat back in tomorrow morning and calling to schedule the delivery. I'll chat with him more about what they found at that time.

I'm really happy it didn't require any parts... When I was talking with the mechanic the day he came to the house (Thursday the 6th) he'd indicated parts inside that housing were generally a week away and that being without my tractor for two weekends would have been fully possible. I think at that point I would have asked for a different one considering I only had put 3 hours on it, most of which trying the things they told me to try...

I'll let you guys know what he tells me. Thanks!

Dealer called today and scheduled the delivery, delivered it an hour or so afterward. I asked what they had found, they said there was an assembly issues within the valving that controls the rear lift. Some O-Rings weren't seated properly. They took it all apart, cleaned the fluids from everything, broke down the valve assembly, cleaned that all real good and reseated the old ORings, then put it back together enough to test. That corrected the problems of the lift arms not working and the disappearing hydro fluid. Once they had the solution and to enusre they wouldn't have any issues with the assembly later, they tore it back down and replaced the ORings with new (in case anything was pinched). Once they had it together with the new ORings enough to test, they did and that's when they called me on Saturday. After that all that was left was to bolt things together, reinstall the floor pan and seat, and call me to schedule delivery.

Overall I'm pleased with the experience. I'm at the butt-end of the manufacturing line within another industry, so I understand new doesn't always mean flawless. I couldn't have asked for more from the dealer, they knew I'd rather locate the issue on my own rather than sending it to them, so they dealt with holding my hand for four days off and on and gave me quite a bit of useful knowledge about my tractor's inner workings in the process. Once they exhausted all they could do through me, they sent their tech who said immediately that it needed some shop time to tear down, and took it to the shop early the next day (9AM Friday). I do consider the timing of the MUSA tech travelling from Philly to Georgia and stopping in on Saturday to be a blessing, who knows how long the local tech would have been without the corporate assist (although he really does know these tractors well from all I've seen). By 10AM Monday morning I received the call to schedule delivery, by noon it was in my driveway... Not bad for a place that's generally closed on weekends.

I'm just tickled they didn't try to stick it to me using the wording of the warranty, making me pay for the weekend overtime and the pickup/delivery charges...

Needless to say once it arrived and I verified basic functionality, my brand spankin new brush hog that's been laying in the back barnyard finally got hooked up and moved in out of the weather (not before buzzing it through some tall grass at the fencerow to admire the finish type cut ya can get out of a brand new set of blades).

/ New Tractor Owner, New Mahindra Owner, New Forum Member. #10  
Glad to hear they got it fixed for you!