Comparison Mahindra 2816

/ Mahindra 2816 #1  

seal oil

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 mahindra 3316 shuttle tlb
2008 mahindra 2816 gear tractor loader with 189 hrs . I think the 2816 isn't being built any more so would it be harder to get parts for them ? In the last year I have seen several for sale with low hrs so I was wondering why ? Is operating the gear vs hydro a negative ? I also saw a 2012 Max28 tlb with 280 hrs . The 2816 is alot bigger . Anyone like to comment on either of those units .

/ Mahindra 2816 #2  
Hi, the title caught my eye. I have about 250 hours on the 2816hst. HST seems fine. No issues with this one. I think the 2816 hat is 28hp..where as the max is 25. The 2816 was replaced with what they call the 3016 now I believe...but its still only 28 hp if I'm thinking right. No issues with this one. Great tractor.

/ Mahindra 2816 #3  
IMG450.jpg

/ Mahindra 2816 #4  
2816 is a great tractor with no major issuses. It was make for several year and also wore a Cub Cadet badge for a few years. Parts should be no problem. The only down side for me is the 9x3 transmission vs. the newer 3016 and max 28 shuttle or hydro which are both 28 hp.

Vroom, Is that track machine in the picture a timberjack?

/ Mahindra 2816 #5  
I don't care what the tracked machine is I want one when I grow up!!
Tom

/ Mahindra 2816 #6  
That is a J5 bombardier. The smaller brother to the Muskeg bombardier. It has the same engine though. 115 hp chrysler dodge 251. They had them in the power wagon I believe. Its geared low, in fact...we hardly ever use first gear. we have 4 speed and 3 speed gear box. two steering levers with break bands bathed in oil. Some kind of limited slip axial differential. Cannot stop one side, only slow it. Which is the best way to go. It seems nice to be about to ski steer equipment, but for off road use you don't want people to be able to do that..it takes tracks off, bearings etc....this machine with new bands will still turn a little larger then an 4x4 tav. It will manoeuvre in trees as good or better. Its all metal, we have 1/4 plate on the bottom added on. Steering bands last dozens of years. Engines are 35 plus , no issues.. Turns slow, long stroke. Quiet. The metal cleats wear through from tires and will break. We welded rebar and flat bar in worn ones to use again. We replace the wheel bearings often as we use them for game retrieval for tourist and don't want any trouble. They will run into a wall and stand up, if they can't climb it...they will stand up on their end and spin. I recently got an argo...but this is a plastic little chain driven buggy...its not in the same category and all. But its nice to ride 3 or 4 people around on flat marsh and bog. But when the going gets rough and there are much blow downs and rocks and stumps and brush, trees....we take the J5 to pic up the animal.IMG_0830.jpgIMG_1204.jpg

/ Mahindra 2816 #7  
This pic above is of a Timberjack skidder. The other is of a tracked machine j5 bombardier. Same hp, the timberjack in this pic is a 230 detroit, 353 screaming jimmy. 2 stroke diesel.
The j5 uses a gasoline, 251 chrysler flathead 6 .

/ Mahindra 2816 #8  
And I thought bombardier was a atv company! My bad, on second thought I guess they are but the 4 wheeler I was thinking about won't be carrying that animal.

/ Mahindra 2816
2816 is a great tractor with no major issuses. It was make for several year and also wore a Cub Cadet badge for a few years. Parts should be no problem. The only down side for me is the 9x3 transmission vs. the newer 3016 and max 28 shuttle or hydro which are both 28 hp.

Vroom, Is that track machine in the picture a timberjack?

I think people with the 2816 gear may have not liked the clutch and traded up to a hst . The clutch in them are a 2 stage and I have never operated a tractor with a 2 stage so I don't know if it is any more awkward to operate . I have driven many miles in trucks etc with a clutch so maybe it wouldn't take long to learn if I ever buy one .

/ Mahindra 2816 #10  
The problem with a two-stage clutch is that the ground travel stage, of course, is the upper stage. So you let the clutch out a little for the PTO to spin, then let it up further for the travel to start. Works fine and is a no brainer to use, but it is a higher release point and feels a little odd at first. I used to prefer clutch tractors, as all my cars are manual transmission, I just like to shift. But on a tractor, I prefer HST on compacts as you are often going back and forth and changing speeds. If I were plowing a huge field, or mowing large areas, give me a gear transmission for it's simplicity and more efficient power transmission.