PST vs HST

/ PST vs HST #1  

poolecw

Which do you guys prefer and why...an PST or HST? Before people chime in with the typical "drive it and find out which suits you better", let me say that you can't figure out all the pro's and con's of each transmission while driving around a dealer's lot. I'm looking for opinions and feedback from end users that have lots of experience with their tractor.

The HST looks like it would excel when you constantly are switching from forward to reverse while the PST looks great for typical tractor duties such as bush hogging and plowing.

Has anyone wished they opted for a different transmission? If so, they why?

/ PST vs HST #2  
You already seem to have a pretty good handle on it already. I usually recommend someone new to tractors to rent one for a weekend to get a true feeling for it. I have only fell in love with one tractor on the lot, the others, I have had to get use to once purchased.

I drive both an HST and a geared unit and have quite a bit of experience on both types, though more on geared tractors.

I really need both types, BUT I find the HST easier and less tiring to use even when compared to our hydraulic shuttle shift. For close in work the HST allows me more precise control and I really like its versatility on hills.

So for me, I prefer the HST if I have to make a choice.

/ PST vs HST #3  
With the PST, you get the power transfer of a normal shuttle trans without the little HP loss of the HST. They shine when used for plowing/disking/mowing.. and also are great for loader work. The HST shines in loader work/any close quarters work/snowblowing/etc. I have both a PST [ J.D. reverser ] and a HST. For what I use a tractor for, I prefer the HST... But both are fine transmissions..

/ PST vs HST #4  
Another thing, the HST is a little more user friendly if you have other operators other than you running it once and awhile. Some people are hard on clutches not knowing how to make them last.

/ PST vs HST #5  
For loader work I like the HST except for the whine. My Boomer 8N has the CVT which has shuttle shift. I use it for mowing and tilling. It does not have the HST whine.

/ PST vs HST #6  
I was doing some box blade work today with my HST model and was reflecting on the many hours I've spent on geared tractors. A geared tractor is great for plowing or mowing, especially where there are few direction changes. I'd rather have gears in that situation. I've heard people say that finding the right gear for the right speed for the job can be a problem. In my experience, once you've run a certain chisel plow, tandem disc or whatever for a few hours, you pretty much know what gear to use for each implement.

But I'm doing a lot of FEL/grapple work and the HST really excels in that situation, and I'm glad I've got it. A hydraulic shuttle would be my second choice in that situation, but it would be a distant second.

/ PST vs HST #7  
Go HST and you'll never look back.

/ PST vs HST #8  
Geared tractor is great for mowing only of there are not obstacles and the quality of the grass is consistent. If you have obstacles and the grass is inconsistent HST is hard to beat. Reason being the PTO speed is completely independent from the traveling speed. As the grass gets heavy and starts bogging the engine just ease on the pedal and when the grass discharges and engine unloads step on it again. The same is true about going around obstacles such as trees. My HST has hardly noticeable whine. I can hear some slight whine only at 100% load.

/ PST vs HST #9  
Ditto on the HST whine. My 5035 had some initial transmission/rear end gear whine whilst the gears were getting lap'd in, but that has gone away... or I am used to it... or a combination of the two. Maybe in a cab'd tractor it might be more noticeable... but I am an outside guy..... :)

/ PST vs HST #10  
It would seem that the larger the tractor the less the whine. My DK35se has very very little and only noticeable when heavily loaded as in too high of a range selected.