Mahindra 5010 vs. LS U5030

/ Mahindra 5010 vs. LS U5030 #1  

PatMcD

Silver Member
Tractor
LS U5030
I looked at a couple of tractors today.
One was a Mahindra 5010 (geared) with loader for $24,900 (cash or financing). This one had a Tier 3 motor, which I think is a good thing? I liked the tractor a lot. When I get closer to a decision, I'll go back and drive it around (it was in the showroom).

Other one I looked at was a LS U5030 with loader for $27,500 (also T3 engine). I also really liked that tractor. What it offered over the Mahindra was: 5 more HP, self-leveling bucket, 1 more hydro remote, adjustable lift arms, shuttle-shift. Not sure if they are worth $2600 to me, though.

How do the prices sound?
Any thoughts on the better deal?

/ Mahindra 5010 vs. LS U5030 #2  
The u5030 is a slightly larger class of tractor than the Mahindra 5010. You would have to compare the Mahindra 6010 instead.

By the way, the Mahindra 5010/6010 is actually a TYM tractor (T503/603), rebadged. May be cheaper to just buy it from TYM...

/ Mahindra 5010 vs. LS U5030 #3  
The u5030 is a slightly larger class of tractor than the Mahindra 5010. You would have to compare the Mahindra 6010 instead.

By the way, the Mahindra 5010/6010 is actually a TYM tractor (T503/603), rebadged. May be cheaper to just buy it from TYM...

Buy it from TYM, get a few things that Mahindra does not offer like the extendible ends, a 16x16 shuttle tranny, 2 std rear remotes, a Cat-Perkins engine and pay less $$$. TYM makes some nice machines, just a shame that they don't have a better dealer net work, if that is important to you. I would give the TYM tractors a very serious look if I were looking for a new machine. ;)

/ Mahindra 5010 vs. LS U5030 #4  
I picked up a U5030 last year and paid a couple thousand more than what you were quoted. I looked at the 5010 and felt it was a lot less machine than the 5030, but that aside, I did not like the clutch on the 5010 or 6010. It felt like it was in or out and was difficult to slip. I looked very closely at the 5035 but the operator platform was cramped (I'm 6'3), other than that I really liked that tractor but the extra remote, gears and overall comfort of the 5030 won out. The price for the U5030 and 5035 were very close.
The only downside to the 5030 is, when driving over very rough ground it's hard to keep steady pressure on the foot throttle and the RPM's tend to jump up and down as the tractor bounces. Using the hand throttle alleviates this but in some situations I want the control the foot throttle offers.
So far I have 110 hours on the 5030 with out any issues.

/ Mahindra 5010 vs. LS U5030 #5  
I have a 4510 and have not been overjoyed with the 10 series at all.

/ Mahindra 5010 vs. LS U5030 #6  
I tried the ls and the tym 503 this spring liked both tractors without hst . what swayed me was the tym creeper low (LL) its super slow . same dealer had both models and he leaned toward tym. both were tier 3- I bought the tym and have enjoyed it so far 33 hours worth. IMO either one is a fine tractor for the money, my local dealer had either one for just under the 27 mark. both with cab and fel

/ Mahindra 5010 vs. LS U5030 #7  
yanmars, can you elaborate? I've been drooling over a 6010 HST w/ cab. I've seen some posts of people who say they like it, but also other posts of people who've reported problems (hydraulic), and there seem to be some that say to avoid the 10 series all together -- things I haven't heard about other Mahindra products. I like the weight & other specs of the 6010, and I figure if I buy one tractor I might as well get one with a cab to make it more pleasant for snow removal. I'd like the option of running a small baler which is why I figured the next smaller HST Mahindra with a cab might (3616) might be a bit underpowered, although for everything else I'd use it for, it would probably work out just fine.

/ Mahindra 5010 vs. LS U5030 #8  
Sorry I do not view this daily. The 10 series is a TYM tractor as I understand. Mine and others have had the radiator clog if you mow where you get chaft and seeds. The battery and windshield washer reservoir block a great deal of air flow. I had to relocate them and add an additional fan to keep the temps under control and air blow the radiator out after every use.
If you mow over small trees the filter and lines underneath are at risk of getting damaged as is the fuel filter. I and the prior owner had to replace the same when a tree caught it and broke the pressed fittings.
Also the glass is subject to breakage, I and the prior owner broke a side glass with a limb hit. The glass was only $139 but the shipping was $309.
If I had to do it all over I would not get the 10 series. If I used it only on clean ag ground there would be no problem.

/ Mahindra 5010 vs. LS U5030 #9  
I looked at LS and Mahindra when shopping for a tractor this past year.

I looked at the Mahindra 6010, 6110, 5530, 6530, 5535, and 7060 several times throughout 2014. They all had ups and downs towards what I wanted and was expecting. Then the same dealer picked up LS in mid 2014. I checked out the LS U5030C and the XU5065CPS. I really liked the overall fit, finish, and features that LS offered over the Mahindras. Then it happened... I drove by the dealer one day and a P7010C was on the lot. Love at first sight! I had to test drive it.

I ended up getting seat time on the Mahindra 6010, 6110, and 7060. Then I tested the LS XU5065CPS and the P7010C. I was really in the market for a 50-60 hp cab tractor. The 72 hp LS followed me home! No regrets!

With all this said. This is what sold me on the LS P7010C vs Mahindra 7060.

Powertrain...
72 hp (63 PTO)vs 67 hp (57 PTO).
26.4 gallon fuel capacity, with a locking fuel cap vs 19.3 gallons.
20/20 transmission vs 12/12.
540/750/1000 PTO with ground shiftable PTO (haven't found a use for that one yet) vs 540 PTO
Better radiator/oil cooler/air conditioner condenser screens (very important in hot dusty environments).

Hydraulics...
3 rear remotes vs 2 remotes.
Self leveling loader standard.
Steering pump 7.0 gpm vs 5.1 gpm (easier steering)
Main pump 12 gpm vs 11 gpm (loader and remote cycle time)
Lift capacity 6173 lbs vs 5100 lbs

Cab...
Front and rear wiper/washer standard.
12 lights vs 6 lights.
Radio standard.
Better HVAC system. Hands down colder air in LS.
Instrument cluster tilts with the steering in the LS.
Quieter cab.

And all this for less than the Mahindra. Maybe its because LS is being aggressive in pricing to gain market share. I think Mahindra was more aggressive when they came to the US and now are closer to the other color tractors. Not saying the Mahindra is a poor choice. Actually it was my first choice before I found the LS. The LS is just more refined and offers much more in feature set.

I got carried away on the specs. I was not out to bash the Mahindra, but just showing an example of how LS is becoming a very lucrative player in the US tractor market. This is just one of the apples to apples comparisons I made when I was shopping. I compared several color tractor specs against each other. Usually the LS beat the Red, Orange, and Green on paper for a given class tractor.

CT

/ Mahindra 5010 vs. LS U5030 #10  
I also had it narrowed down to the Mahindra 5035 and the LS 5030. I went with the 5035 Mahindra. It out classed the LS in every category except the LS had 2 remotes and a few more HP. Mahindra loader lifted more and lifted considerably higher, something like a foot and a half. the tires were larger and wider, tractor weighed more, and was more stable. The seat was nicer on the Mahindra, it had adjustable back and arms. I did like the self leveling loader on the LS, but I needed one that would lift higher than the 24 HP small tractor I sold, and the LS did not lift much over head high! The thing that really swung it for me was the LS dealer did not act like they cared if they sold a tractor or not, and the Mahindra dealer was spot on with their treatment of me as a customer! Hope you enfoy your tractor, I have had a ball with mine!