Price Check Proper etiquette

/ Proper etiquette #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
What is the proper etiquette when requesting quotes from dealers? Is it not okay to solicit a quote via email? I'm a cash buyer and would use Farm Credit Services for any financing. How long should I give dealers to reply? I've only ever dealt with one dealer and always done so face to face, but for my next purchase I'm considering Case IH too and wanted to hear from a couple dealers who also sell Case IH. It'd be great to be able to compare the tractors all side by side. 2 days...5 dealers...1 response to say they no longer carry Case IH.

/ Proper etiquette #2  
I've gotten quotes from Messicks and Barlow's solely using email. But they are Kubota. Don't know why Case would be a different case.

/ Proper etiquette #3  
Seems like a dealer would want to reply. Maybe it will take a little longer.

You might have better luck on the phone?

/ Proper etiquette #4  
I would call first and introduce yourself and tell them what you are looking for. Requesting that they send you the quote via email is very acceptable and generally will happen much quicker opposed to emailing alone. Sometimes emails can get lost, figuratively and literally.

/ Proper etiquette #5  
I've gotten quotes for many things, including tractors via email. Sometimes it take a couple of emails to get their attention though.

Wedge

/ Proper etiquette #6  
I wonder if some dealers don't suspect that e-mail requests are nothing more than some competitor trying to compare prices. I would think they'd have serious doubts about quoting prices to e-mail requests.

/ Proper etiquette #7  
On of my projects while in the military was getting quotes to fully equip a new base with communications equipment ranging from stuff that cost $500 to $500k. I found that most time if I sent an email and introduced myself in an email, told them the purpose of my purchase, and that I was soliciting quotes I would get a favorable reply. They would even call me to get details if needed.
I would say email is quite acceptable.

/ Proper etiquette #8  
What is the proper etiquette when requesting quotes from dealers? Is it not okay to solicit a quote via email? I'm a cash buyer and would use Farm Credit Services for any financing. How long should I give dealers to reply? I've only ever dealt with one dealer and always done so face to face, but for my next purchase I'm considering Case IH too and wanted to hear from a couple dealers who also sell Case IH. It'd be great to be able to compare the tractors all side by side. 2 days...5 dealers...1 response to say they no longer carry Case IH.

From a dealer's perspective, give us your location and if you are wanting financing options or are a cash buyer. It is disappointing as a dealer to spend a bunch of time on quotes and correspondence to find the guy is 2500 miles away and just gathering prices to use against his local dealer.

We try to reply back to email within 4 hours if during the workday, but we do not generally give quotes unless we know you are relatively local. If you are 2500 miles away and just looking for advice, just state that upfront. I occasionally get an email "the dealer wants $1000 more for the HST over the PST, is that normal?". That sort of thing, and for TBN members the dealers on this board are generally more than happy to have brief conversations like that, even though it will not result in a sale for us. Chatting amongst friends is just fine.

/ Proper etiquette
All the dealers I contacted were within 75 miles of me. What I wanted to know was more from the Case IH dealers than anyone else. I especially wanted to hear from the Case IH/Mahindra dealer in Crossville TN. We are looking at replacing the 7010 cab with a bigger tractor. I am considering the Mahindra 8560, MForce 100 and Case IH 85C & 95C. No lie, even though I've been a Mahindra owner for 8 or 9 years and they've served me well, I want the C series from Case IH. I love the see thru roof panel and I want more than a 12 speed tranny. However if the prices on Fastline and Tractorhouse are indicative of the true selling price ($57,900) then I have to ask myself is that the road I want to take or should I hold onto the 7010 for the tranny options I want and go with the 8560. I'm extremely frustrated with buying anything at this point. Seems nobody wants to price their units. It's not just tractors either. It's anything big you try to buy. I've talked with folks about replacing my camper recently too and all I get is the guarantee their prices are the lowest and come see them. I even filled out the request dealer quote thru Case Ih's website and no response. Just seemed to me it shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to have a dealer answer the simple question of pricing a unit in comparison to another unit they have on their lot or have the ability to acquire.
I'll add I've yet to hear from any of the dealers except the one who no longer sells Case IH.

Last edited:
   / Proper etiquette #10  
I've lost track. Did you call any of them on the phone?