Need a New Tractor, Definitely Mahindra, Need Some Suggestions

/ Need a New Tractor, Definitely Mahindra, Need Some Suggestions #1  

bobm6996

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010 4WD HST Cab, Mahindra 2615 Gear, Scag Tiger Cat 48", Gravely 42" ZTR, EZ GO Gas Golf Cart
I have a 2006 Mahindra 2615 4WD Gear with the ML106 loader purchased new. We have purchased another piece of property (15 acres) that we plan to build on next year and will have horses and last seeded the pasture and alfalfa hay field. Below are my plans for the use of the new tractor and with that info hope some of you will have some suggestions on what is the minimum size new Mahindra I should get would be. Also, after this past winter and my age (63) I want a cab tractor to stay warm and cool and I can't decide on PST or HST, but know I am tired of constantly using the clutch.

Lots of loader work all the time it seems
Have several implements I still want to be able to use (5ft rotary mower, 5ft box blade, 7ft disc, 7 ft landscape rake, 3PT PHD, 2 bottom plow, 8 x8 harrow and 48" PTO 3PH tiller)
Have a lot of fence row cleaning to do over the next couple years and fence to build
Will have bush hogging to do
I store hay on pallets (16 to 20 square bales) per pallet and then move and stack them (approx. 3600 bales per year)
Snow removal
Plan to at least begin cutting and raking my own hay next year and may look for an older square baler
There will be horse barn chores and paddock work to do at times, but may continue to use my 2615 for that work as its size is just right

I have looked at the 3616 4WD PST and HST Cab and the 5010 4WD HST Cab (does not appear to come with PST in a Cab model, weird).

Am I looking at the right models?

Thoughts on HST, PST and Gear. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated. The wife is pretty close to buying into the purchase, she is now saying she could learn to drive the 2615 and use it to take care of the horse barn and paddocks, so it will be staying and not traded in or sold.

/ Need a New Tractor, Definitely Mahindra, Need Some Suggestions #2  
The cab is "optional" equipment. So talk to the dealer about the cab. Maybe they just never bothered thinking that a person who wants an HST also wanted a cab.

As for sizing I'll leave that up to other TBN members.

/ Need a New Tractor, Definitely Mahindra, Need Some Suggestions #3  
The 3616 cab model is only available in a standard shuttle transmission, and an HST. There is no PST available on the 16 series or the 10 series.
I think your choice should be the 5010 HST for best handling the jobs you wish to do.

/ Need a New Tractor, Definitely Mahindra, Need Some Suggestions #4  
I'm running the 5010 Cab HST sounds like it would work for what you want to do. But if you can ask the dealers if you can test drive them for fit and comfort any an all that you like red, orange, green. :thumbsup:

/ Need a New Tractor, Definitely Mahindra, Need Some Suggestions #5  
If you are keeping the 2615, then I'd suggest the 5010HST cab. If you were selling the 2615 and trying to do all of this with one tractor, I'd suggest the 3616 HST Cab, that way your implements would be a decent match. I'd say the 2615 and the 3616 are in the same size "class" so to speak. The 5010 is for sure a size up. You will enjoy the huge loader lift capacity of the 5010 at nearly 3000 lbs.

/ Need a New Tractor, Definitely Mahindra, Need Some Suggestions #6  
If you want PST in the 50 hp class look at the 5035. B.

/ Need a New Tractor, Definitely Mahindra, Need Some Suggestions #7  
If you want PST in the 50 hp class look at the 5035. B.

5035 does not come in a cab....although the rumor is that it will soon. They had a pre-production prototype 35 series cab at the last National Dealer's Meeting.

Last edited:
   / Need a New Tractor, Definitely Mahindra, Need Some Suggestions
I do want a cab tractor for sure, so will have to see what is available. The wife came up with an interesting idea, which surprised me. She suggests waiting until next year to purchase the new tractor so maybe we will have the ability to pay cash with no need to finance any of the purchase. She suggested in the interim to get some of the capability I am wanting (SQA and pallet forks) I should look for a used skid steer, which I said sure that will work. Was very surprised she came up with this, now I am looking for a used skid steer. I will end up with two tractors and a skid steer, how happy am I!!

Any suggestions on a used skid steer to do the following:

Versatility of implements available (rent or purchase)
Definitely will be buying with or purchasing separately pallet forks
Want to use it to assist with fence row clearing
Will use it to move hay that is stacked on pallets in the barn
Considerable amount of loader work

Price range: up to $15k
What are the key things to look for when purchasing used?

/ Need a New Tractor, Definitely Mahindra, Need Some Suggestions #9  
On a skid-steer, you will love the forward visibility. You can see your bucket edge or forks really well. You can be very precise. Rearward visibility is much worse. Attachments abound for a skid steer, but they are generally expensive because if they involve something powered they have to use hydraulic motors and valves, as opposed to the back of a tractor that can use a simple gearbox and a PTO.

Consider if you want tracks or tires. The same basic size track machine is generally a little more stable and capable as compared to a tire machined, but it is also about twice as expensive to maintain the track system as it is replacing tires. Well more than twice if you go CAT or ASV. I have a Takeuchi TL130 track machine with a cab including A/C and heat and I sure enjoy it. For me a brush grapple, 4-N-1 bucket, stump grinder, forks and tiller are the current implements. It is almost too fun running this thing.

Just make sure the unit is in good shape. Skids are not the easiest to work on, and the pumps and controls can be complex. $15k will get you a late model machine that should be solid. If you buy it from a dealer, I'd suggest at least a minimal warranty to give you time to put it to work and make sure there are no electrical or hydraulic gremlins.

Lastly, skids do not use the same type hour meter as a farm tractor. A farm tractor, or CUT has an hour meter based on one hour showing on the meter for each hour run at PTO speed. So if you take a 2615 and run it at 1200 rpm, it takes two hours of seat time to show one hour on the meter. Construction equipment is different. If it is running for an hour, it shows an hour. For that reason alone you will see a little higher hours on CE. You find a lot of used small tractors with under 500 hours. Skids with less than 1500 hours would be considered low hours in my book.

/ Need a New Tractor, Definitely Mahindra, Need Some Suggestions #10  
I do want a cab tractor for sure, so will have to see what is available. The wife came up with an interesting idea, which surprised me. She suggests waiting until next year to purchase the new tractor so maybe we will have the ability to pay cash with no need to finance any of the purchase. She suggested in the interim to get some of the capability I am wanting (SQA and pallet forks) I should look for a used skid steer, which I said sure that will work. Was very surprised she came up with this, now I am looking for a used skid steer. I will end up with two tractors and a skid steer, how happy am I!!

Any suggestions on a used skid steer to do the following:

Versatility of implements available (rent or purchase)
Definitely will be buying with or purchasing separately pallet forks
Want to use it to assist with fence row clearing
Will use it to move hay that is stacked on pallets in the barn
Considerable amount of loader work

Price range: up to $15k
What are the key things to look for when purchasing used?

If you get the skid steer, get your next tractor with the same Skid Steer QA front bucket then you can use the Skid Steer attachments on the tractor too.