MMM or 48" flail?

/ MMM or 48" flail? #1  

LindenBruce

Gold Member
Tractor
Husky GT2654, Branson 4520TLB
Hello all,

Looking to find a replacement for the LGT2654 Husky. The thing is giving me fits. Just had to remove the engine and do a lower engine gasket reseal and now the electrical system won't charge. So......

Been looking at the Max 25 and trying to find info on the eMax 25 as well. How well do the Max's Mid Mount Mowers cut grass and weeds? Do they cut fairly evenly from side to side? Are they more of a good finishing mower type of cut? And how do the MMM's compare to a 48" flail mower?

I do have some lawn to cut but mostly lower front pasture grass and weeds that I need to keep cut down. Right now the Husky is doing it all. But the Husky deck does not cut very well and it takes 50% over lapping passes to get a good cut. I'm thinking I could go the Max with a 48" flail for the lower stuff and just use the Husky for the lawn.

I also have need of a loader and a small box scraper along with a yard rake. I have a lot of rocks on the back 7 to get cleared off. Right now I only work the front acre. It's been hard to find solid specs on the eMax 25. Hello, Mahindra, are you listening? McFly McFly...

Is the eMax25 just a slightly smaller chassis than the Max 25? Does the eMax 25 use the same engine and hydraulics as the Max 25? Thanks all, B.

/ MMM or 48" flail? #2  
I bought a Max 25 with FEL, BH, and MMM. All three have done the job well. I did have to borrow/rent a bush hog to knock down the majority of +2' high weeds/grass on the first pass. But since then the MMM has done it all in essentially one pass with no issues. There were areas that I didn't knock down with the bush hog so the first time through I do slow half passes.

I'm not sure what the comparison to a 48" flail would be.

As far as the lack of eMax info -- this is the first year for all those models. So there isn't much commentary yet.

/ MMM or 48" flail? #3  
my dealer says the tip speed of blades is 17500 rpm, industry max. is 18000, orange tractors are 14000 (think he said rpm ?).
Also models are made in Korea, Japan or India and in my area are assembled in PA. Very short supply because very new, the first models they got were assembled on a Wednesday and delivered on Friday, latest order will be up to one month, they have sold everyone they got in.

Last edited:
   / MMM or 48" flail? #4  
Will this help with any of your questions?

Attachments

• Scan_Doc0025.pdf
    992.5 KB · Views: 194
   / MMM or 48" flail? #5  
Did you price the flail yet? Pretty sure that will kill the deal.

/ MMM or 48" flail? #6  
Is the eMax25 just a slightly smaller chassis than the Max 25? Does the eMax 25 use the same engine and hydraulics as the Max 25? Thanks all, B.

The Max is heavier but it is otherwise about the same size as the eMax. They share the same tires/wheels, but are otherwise entirely different tractors. Nothing else is the same, not the engine, not the hydraulics, not the loader, etc. The eMax is built similar to a BX with a ladder frame and components bolted to it. The Max is built like a typical 50 HP tractor, just smaller.

If you like the size of the Max, then the eMax will be the right size for you. It is lighter and might be a better mowing tractor for that reason. There is more plastic on the eMax, which is normal for the ladder frame tractors in this size range. The eMax should be less $$ also.

Then again, for not that much more, you can get a regular Max and they are really hard to beat. It will be interesting to watch customers make this decision and see what the sales numbers are a year from now.

/ MMM or 48" flail? #7  
Linden Bruce,

I should also mention that the engine used in the Max 28 is the same engine used in the Max 25, rated at slightly less RPM. It easily handles a 60" flail. Horsepower aside, a mower is often picked by the type of work. A flail struggles with really tall weeds/grass as it is determined to chew up all of the material into little bits and holds too much grass aloft if you try too fast a travel speed. You have to go slow with a flail with real tall stuff. A rotary cutter will slash it down and leave it a little rough, but they are pretty fast even in tall conditions. A finish mower, if set pretty low and if the grass is not overly tall gives a really nice cut, whether it is under the tractor as a MMM or a pull behind. But a finish mower is not so good with rocks and branches and other obstacles.

You should have one of each, that is my thought! ;)

/ MMM or 48" flail?
Yes, I have priced the 48" flail and it ain't that bad really. They are between 1300-1700 depending on who you buy it from. About the same cost as the MMM correct? Thanks for the PDF Galen. It shows these two tractors are very similar in specs. So I guess that would be a wash when it comes to considering one over the other.

Flail's are very common in the orchards around here. In fact, I think that's all the farmers are using. And they do a very good job of smashing the weeds that's for sure.

What I'm thinking is maybe the eMax can replace the Husky and do the other stuff I need it to as well. Or maybe keep the Husky for lawn work only and get the Max 25. It's interesting on that PDF that the engine is rated at 22 hp for each of the three eMax's with 20 pto hp. BUT, the Max 25 shows 25 hp and 20 pto hp. The Max 28 is dimensionally bigger than the Max 25. For what I plan to use it for, I think that dimensionally that is going to be getting to big for me in this application.

I am considering everyone's input. Thanks guys. B.

/ MMM or 48" flail?
It's also interesting to see blade tip speeds listed on MMM's. But I can't seem to find anything for the same on my Husky lawn mower. I wonder what the blades are turning at. And if that's why it doesn't cut to well in anything but short thin grass. Hum..... B.

/ MMM or 48" flail? #10  
I can only think of of the Husky as an MTD POS. I did over ten years of using them and burning them out on the four plus acres that I mow. And that was all it really did was mow. :banghead:

I finally bought my Mahindra Max25 last year as I said above, it has made a difference already. The FEL has allowed me to clean up chunks of my property that has not been touched in years. I bought a set of palette forks that have allowed me to clean up crap that has been sitting for years. :)

The BH has allowed me to dig a burn pit that let's me get rid of the crap with out using a dumpster at rental prices. :)

I don't know enough about the eMax style, but all I can think is that they are just overloaded MTD styles, but I could be wrong. :confused:

But whether you go with the Max or eMax I would add a FEL regardless. The resale value changes significantly. There was more than once I saw a a tractor for sale by the road. I would barely slow down for the tractor with a mower only. The ones with a FEL I would make a point to stop and look at.