Just got my first tractor, Mahindra MAX 28 HST

/ Just got my first tractor, Mahindra MAX 28 HST #1  

cgendron

Tractor
Mahindra
I started a thread a couple of weeks ago about comparing the 16 series to the MAX series for my size yard. I ended up getting a MAX 28 HST from a local dealer. I decided that the 16 series was just too big for what I need.

I plan on getting a 72" finish mower off the back once I have a little more yard put in. For now, I'll be pushing a lot of dirt and landscaping. I picked up the tractor yesterday and played around for an hour. We just got 2 inches of rain, so it was pretty muddy with our clay soil. Almost got stuck a couple of times.

In all of my research on these tractors I did notice a lot of people ask about oil filters. Tractors seem to have the same cross references to oil filters as cars. So all the aftermarket filter brands make compatible filters for the Mitsu 1.3L. I plan on using the same OEM Mitsu filters I use on my Mitsu cars, MZ690072. I can get them for about $5 a piece. All the Mitsu car engines take either this one or MZ690116. Here is a pic of both filters: http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/b/evo_oil_filters.jpg

The filters are made by Denso in Japan. If anyone has an actual Mahindra filter, I wouldn't doubt that they are the exact same thing with different markings on them. I think the MZ690072 will be slightly longer than the stock one, but as long as it doesn't hit the cowl, it will work. I have an Infiniti G37 which can also take this same filter.

I've also noticed that the oil caps on the Mahindra/Mitsu tractors is identical to the oil caps used on the Mitsu cars from the 90s and into the 2000s. I wouldn't doubt if there are some other shared parts.

later,
Curt

/ Just got my first tractor, Mahindra MAX 28 HST #2  
Welcome to TBN.. and congrats on the new tractor.

/ Just got my first tractor, Mahindra MAX 28 HST #3  
its only the beginning, now it starts...

/ Just got my first tractor, Mahindra MAX 28 HST #4  
Cgen,
I think you made a good decision in the MAX 28XL. I have owned mine for a year or or so now and have a tick over 150hrs. Still loving it! I have a hoe, loader, and snow blade for it--which are all Mahindra attachments. Good power in a small package. I like that the machine is narrower than my Polaris Ranger. ;)

I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled upon it today looking for an alternative to dealer oil filters for the engine. I change the engine oil the most--per the book @ 50hr intervals. I have 2-3 dealers in driving proximity, but the close one is only open 9-12 Sat on the weekends, too far away for a weekday trip, and doesnt have an answering machine or an up to date website. Major pain since they closed all weekend for the Monday labor day holiday.... :mur:

Being that 'close' for me is a 45 minutes drive, I wanted find oil & filters that can be bought @ any retailer (Walmart esp). I went with a Fram PH7317 and 5qts of Rotella T 10W-30. (4.5qts to fill). Fram may not be the best bang for the buck for some, but for me they work well enough and are readily available. Seems to be working fine so far.

Here are some other filters as well that are supposed to fit according to other forums:
Fram PH7317 (Longer standard Fram w. sure grip)
Fram PH6017A (Shorter tough guard)
Purolator L14610
Purolator L14620
K&N PS1010
only tried the one mentioned above, so use at your own risk!

For the air filter I am going to try a Fram CA9248 @$15. Top is closed, but looking at the air cleaner design it shouldn't matter. I am hoping to poke a hole for the retaining bolt in the top of the filter. If it works out correctly, I will follow up. (this AF should work for some Cub Cadet models too).

Now in 50 more hrs when I go to Google the oil/filter info again, it'll be here. :2cents:

Last edited:
   / Just got my first tractor, Mahindra MAX 28 HST
I agree with those oil filters all working on the MAX 28. What I learned in all my research is there a lot bigger amount of cross referenced oil filters that will work on these Mahindra/Mitsu tractors than what is out there documented.

later,
Curt

/ Just got my first tractor, Mahindra MAX 28 HST #6  
50 hours? Re-read the manual. First change is 50 hours. Next change every 100. So the schedule is 50, 150, 250, 350 etc.

/ Just got my first tractor, Mahindra MAX 28 HST #7  
So would these filters work on a 3616?

/ Just got my first tractor, Mahindra MAX 28 HST #8  
Cgen,
I think you made a good decision in the MAX 28XL. I have owned mine for a year or or so now and have a tick over 150hrs. Still loving it! I have a hoe, loader, and snow blade for it--which are all Mahindra attachments. Good power in a small package. I like that the machine is narrower than my Polaris Ranger. ;)

I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled upon it today looking for an alternative to dealer oil filters for the engine. I change the engine oil the most--per the book @ 100hr intervals. I have 2-3 dealers in driving proximity, but the close one is only open 9-12 Sat on the weekends, too far away for a weekday trip, and doesnt have an answering machine or an up to date website. Major pain since they closed all weekend for the Monday labor day holiday.... :mur:

Being that 'close' for me is a 45 minutes drive, I wanted find oil & filters that can be bought @ any retailer (Walmart esp). I went with a Fram PH7317 and 5qts of Rotella T 10W-30. (4.5qts to fill). Fram may not be the best bang for the buck for some, but for me they work well enough and are readily available. Seems to be working fine so far.

Here are some other filters as well that are supposed to fit according to other forums:
Fram PH7317 (Longer standard Fram w. sure grip)
Fram PH6017A (Shorter tough guard)
Purolator L14610
Purolator L14620
K&N PS1010
only tried the one mentioned above, so use at your own risk!

For the air filter I am going to try a Fram CA9248 @$15. Top is closed, but looking at the air cleaner design it shouldn't matter. I am hoping to poke a hole for the retaining bolt in the top of the filter. If it works out correctly, I will follow up. (this AF should work for some Cub Cadet models too).

Now in 50 more hrs when I go to Google the oil/filter info again, it'll be here. :2cents:

UPDATE - Fram AF was around 3/8-1/2" too long. Had to go w/ $50 dealer unit (mitsu 35460501800). Going to keep looking.

IMG_20140906_104438458.jpg

/ Just got my first tractor, Mahindra MAX 28 HST #9  
I found that all the filters on my 3016 were xrefable except for one of the hydro filters. Couldn't find that anywhere except a dealer.

I also found that all the xrefed filters were more expensive than buying OEM from the dealer.

Go figure.

/ Just got my first tractor, Mahindra MAX 28 HST #10  
Just my normal warning when this type of thread pops up. Just because the threads are the same and the gasket matches up doesn't mean it is the correct filter. If Wix or Baldwin or Napa or whomever says it is correct by application, then I think you are good to go. But if you get a cross reference off a cross reference or a guy on a website says it fits, I'd be careful. Other than threads and gasket compatibility, you need to consider filter media type and size, bypass valve pressure setting if equipped, anti-drain back valve or not, and pressure capability of the can. If Wix says it works, we can assume their engineers considered all of those factors.

As time goes on, we are seeing more and more aftermarket support from various manufacturers for filters for Mahindra. That is good in my mind, as it will keep Mahindra honest on pricing. I think folks are OK with paying equal or even a little more for a OEM filter, but nobody wants to pay $20 for a filter that ought to be $10. I get that, and I agree.

We cut apart a Mahindra/Mitsubishi oil filter and an aftermarket oil filter once and the difference was significant. So if you do go aftermarket, at least go quality aftermarket.

I'd certainly be extra careful with the HST and hydraulic filters. The HST systems are fussy about clean oil, backpressure, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally good with aftermarket, but be careful.