5530 vs 6530 - 4WD

/ 5530 vs 6530 - 4WD #1  

vox

Tractor
mahindra?
Hi All from Texas!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Ready to buy, just trying to make the right decision in terms of model and tranny.

Looking at the 5530 and the 6530. Not sure if we should go shuttle/PST/HST. Interested in any comments on this front.

Duty Specs:
- Small Farm / Ranch (less than 200 acres - 50% is heavily timbered)
- shredding, will purchase the 10' pull shredder from mahindra (not 3pt)
- front end loader for earth, tree limbs and hay
- box blade for general road maintenance and erosion control

Questions for the team:
1. Too big? Too small?
2. Other models I should look at instead?
3. What type of rubber should I put on it? (ag tires?)
4. Is the grapple worth the money? We have a lot of dead-fall around after storms and what-not.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

vox

/ 5530 vs 6530 - 4WD #2  
If you're gonna pull a 10ft cutter you should get the biggest you can afford...the 6530 will do fine...I know there's a bunch of differing opinions here, but I'd go for the gear/shuttle shift. since you're on a ranch/farm, I'd also go for the R1 Ag tires. Of course I'm a tad biased as I was raised on a farm...and now have a 6000 4WD, shuttle/ag tires...good luck. BobG in VA

/ 5530 vs 6530 - 4WD
If you're gonna pull a 10ft cutter you should get the biggest you can afford...the 6530 will do fine...I know there's a bunch of differing opinions here, but I'd go for the gear/shuttle shift. since you're on a ranch/farm, I'd also go for the R1 Ag tires. Of course I'm a tad biased as I was raised on a farm...and now have a 6000 4WD, shuttle/ag tires...good luck. BobG in VA

Bob...appreciate'ya.

Are the ag tires good-to-go in mud? We have a good amount of acreage that gets water logged on a regular basis.

Appreciate your time...

/ 5530 vs 6530 - 4WD #4  
Bob...appreciate'ya.

Are the ag tires good-to-go in mud? We have a good amount of acreage that gets water logged on a regular basis.

Appreciate your time...

If you're dealing with mud, R1 (ag) tires are your only choice. Well, those and tracks I suppose. I love my hst, but that's just my opinion.

/ 5530 vs 6530 - 4WD
If you're dealing with mud, R1 (ag) tires are your only choice. Well, those and tracks I suppose. I love my hst, but that's just my opinion.

Noted.

Thanks much.

/ 5530 vs 6530 - 4WD #6  
Is the grapple worth the money? It's worth it's weight in gold. If you do nothing else, get the grapple! In fact, there is very little need for a bucket after having a grapple for any type of woods work and debris cleanup.

/ 5530 vs 6530 - 4WD #7  
Avoid buying a grapple ONLY if you like to climb on and off your tractor endlessly.:wink:
,,,, I recommend the smallest heavy duty one you can find. ... Also a Bobcat tilt tatch to live on the loader. The increased manipulation capability is worth the 300# tax.
larry

/ 5530 vs 6530 - 4WD #8  
Hi All from Texas!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Ready to buy, just trying to make the right decision in terms of model and tranny.

Looking at the 5530 and the 6530. Not sure if we should go shuttle/PST/HST. Interested in any comments on this front.

Duty Specs:
- Small Farm / Ranch (less than 200 acres - 50% is heavily timbered)
- shredding, will purchase the 10' pull shredder from mahindra (not 3pt)
- front end loader for earth, tree limbs and hay
- box blade for general road maintenance and erosion control

Questions for the team:
1. Too big? Too small?
2. Other models I should look at instead?
3. What type of rubber should I put on it? (ag tires?)
4. Is the grapple worth the money? We have a lot of dead-fall around after storms and what-not.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

vox

Get as much hp as you can afford--200 acres is a lot of land.
Be sure you get the skid steer quick attach option for your FEL.
Get double rear hydraulic remotes--triple is better. Mine is a dealer-designed rig that cost $700 (part of the deal when I bought the tractor new in 2008).
Ag tires for sure.
I added an expanded metal screen to the ROPS (use hose clamps to secure it--no drilling or welding on the ROPS, it's a safety feature that shouldn't be altered). Protects my backside when mowing with the brush hog.

5525 SSQA.JPG
Remotes 5525-2.JPG
5525 MF124.JPG
Remotes 5525-1.JPG

Good luck.

/ 5530 vs 6530 - 4WD
Is the grapple worth the money? It's worth it's weight in gold. If you do nothing else, get the grapple! In fact, there is very little need for a bucket after having a grapple for any type of woods work and debris cleanup.

Makes sense.

Thank You for the feedback.

/ 5530 vs 6530 - 4WD #10  
Bob...appreciate'ya.

Appreciate your time...

Forgot a couple of things...Get your Rear R1 Ag tires "loaded"...especially if you have an FEL...keeps the rear end on the ground when you pick up a heavy load...now regarding "wet" stuff...just because you have 4WD you gotta remember that the only difference between 2WD and 4WD is can get get further into the swamp with 4WD before you get stuck.....(grin).. Good luck...BobG in VA