Help me choose - 4025 vs 5010

/ Help me choose - 4025 vs 5010 #1  

sdboers

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4025 4wd
Greetings Folks,
First post here, but been lurking for a while...

So - I'm getting awfully close to convincing my CFO/wife that it's time to replace our tractor. Currently running a 1970 Belarus 420A with broken 4 wheel drive, a dying starter, no brakes and a list of minor issues as long as my... arm.

I've looked at a lot of different brands but nothing seems to jump out at me as much as the Mahindra line. Doesn't hurt that the local dealer just seems to be one of the nicest easy going guys I've ever met.

So now my question becomes - which model? I've been looking at the 3616, the 4025 and the 5010 - all in 4wd - simple gears where available, with FEL, no cab.

The 4025 appeals to me as it appears to be all "old school" tractor. Bulletproof and built like a tank. The 5010 appeals to me as it feels a little more comfortable and better laid out. Work wise - they seem to be almost identical in abilities.

I "like" the 5010 better, but I'm more concerned about which of those 2 models would be the more reliable tractor in the long haul.

My uses are simple. I have 150 acres of mostly trees and wetlands. I need to mow (6 foot bushhog) about 10 acres of pasture, maintain a 2200ft gravel laneway (6 foot box blade, 7 foot snow blower), move dirt and drag logs.

So here I am - trying to shamelessly tap into the wealth of knowledge around. Fire away!

Sean.

/ Help me choose - 4025 vs 5010 #2  
I was also drawn to the simplicity of the 4025, so much so I ordered one. I can't help in terms of the 5010, I don't know much about that line.

/ Help me choose - 4025 vs 5010
So the dealer dropped a 4025 off today for me to play with. I think the only thing I don't like about it is the same thing I don't like about my old Belarus. With the gear shift in the middle it's slightly less than convenient to get on and off. With the loader controls and hoses on the right - it's exit stage left only. That's about the biggest complaint I have - pretty minor eh? Had fun using the box blade (first time) to grade out the potholes in the laneway. I cannot for the life of me understand why I didn't have a box blade sooner. Fool...

I have to say - I like the idea of the wet replaceable cylinder sleeves. If and when an overhaul is ever necessary - this certainly makes it easier and more cost effective.

Sean.

/ Help me choose - 4025 vs 5010 #4  
When I went to the dealer I tried a 3616(I quickly realized its not much larger than my 2516 in weight) a 3535 and the 4025. I didn't like the 3535! As convenient as it may be I didn't like the gas tank location, I would be concerned about damaging it while in the woods skidding logs.
I immediately knew I wanted the 4025, it's simple,heavy and is priced right! My tractor needs consist of tree cutting and hauling, ground engaging work(food plots for deer) and snow removal.

After explaining to the dealer on what my needs were he recommended the 4025, he also called two previous 4025 customers who use there tractor similarly for me to speak to.

/ Help me choose - 4025 vs 5010 #5  
In my shopping thus far I've driven all 3 you mentioned plus the 4035 and am going to buy a 4035 here in the near future. I too liked the idea of an old school will last forever tractor in the 4025 but couldn't get past the ergonomics. The 3616 was just too small in size/weight for what I have planned. Between the 5010 and the 4035 it came down to the extra features you get with the 4035 for not that much more $. Extendable lower links, crank on the tilt, power shuttle were the big ones for me.

/ Help me choose - 4025 vs 5010 #6  
If you got along ok with a Belarus, the ergonomics of the 4025 should be fine. While I do think the 5010 has a few comfort advantages, the 4025 is a small full size utility tractor, the 5010 is a big compact. The 4025 has larger axles, heavier transmission and rear axle housing, etc.

Here is a difference you may not immediately see...the front axle on the 5010 is way back, making it turn tight. It also makes the tractor want to go on it's nose with a full bucket load if you are not very well ballasted. The 4025 has the axle forward, and that makes it very stable. And the sticks going right into the transmission means you have zero chance of shifter linkage issues down the road, but of course you do have to dodge them with your feet getting on and off. Shoving them both forward helps.

That being said, we sell a lot more 5010's in our area than 4025, but for your application the 4025 is hard to beat. Low frills, simple, reliable, strong.

Here is a difference you may not immediately see...the front axle on the 5010 is way back, making it turn tight. It also makes the tractor want to go on it's nose with a full bucket load if you are not very well ballasted. The 4025 has the axle forward, and that makes it very stable. And the sticks going right into the transmission means you have zero chance of shifter linkage issues down the road, but of course you do have to dodge them with your feet getting on and off. Shoving them both forward helps.

Excellent information. I hadn't even thought of the axle position. With the 5010 being over 1000 pounds lighter as well - I'm sure that makes quite a difference.

Thanks for the input!

Sean

I hadn't even considered the 4035. Possibly because there isn't one on the lot. I will give the info a read over - thank you for the suggestion.

I am really torn between more modern and more old school. Despite the comfort factor - I just can't help thinking - more to go wrong. Power shuttle, push button PTO, shift linkages etc. Utility will likely win over comfort. Since I don't make a living on the tractor - I can live with a few ergonomic quirks. As pointed out - it is somewhat "familiar" compared to the old Belarus. Lol.

Sean.

Ok. Scratch the 4035 for me. Price point is about $8k more (CAD) than the 4025. I'm simply not worth that... Lol.