Hydrostatic trasnsmission vs. gear drive

/ Hydrostatic trasnsmission vs. gear drive
My old Ford has a foot throttle, too. But when I bushhog in the woods, or any other action that requires full engine speed, I have to use the hand throttle to maintain cutting speed. @Buckgnarly, I think you mean "pedal." "Peddle" means "to sell."

/ Hydrostatic trasnsmission vs. gear drive #32  
I would say that hydro's are safer for new operators. I would not say that gear machines are less safe for experienced operators. Anyone that operates a gear machine for a number of years gets darn good at doing it. Just to be clear here, I prefer hydro machines, but I have far more hours on gear machines. Also as we get older the hydro machines are a joy instead of a chore to operate. I know when I am doing precision work up against a building, and working with people doing landscaping near the tractor, I appreciate the extra precision and safety margin of the Hydrostat.

/ Hydrostatic trasnsmission vs. gear drive #33  
My old Ford has a foot throttle, too. But when I bushhog in the woods, or any other action that requires full engine speed, I have to use the hand throttle to maintain cutting speed.
Once again I don't get it.
Why ???
I brush mow and finish mow with my gear tractor all the time. When mowing in tight areas, on hills or around trees I simply use the foot throttle so I can speed up/slow down as needed and it mows/cuts just fine. Always in control of the machine.

Last edited:
   / Hydrostatic trasnsmission vs. gear drive #34  
My old Ford has a foot throttle, too. But when I bushhog in the woods, or any other action that requires full engine speed, I have to use the hand throttle to maintain cutting speed. @Buckgnarly, I think you mean "pedal." "Peddle" means "to sell."

Yup....my thumb typing on this stupid Ipad that thinks it knows what words I want!:laughing:

/ Hydrostatic trasnsmission vs. gear drive #35  
Just recently learned that I don't have to step on the clutch all the way. I have a dual stage clutch. I only have to press down about 1/2 way. Nice and easy on my knee now. I'm glad I went with the gear drive.

/ Hydrostatic trasnsmission vs. gear drive #36  
Mine has a gas peddle or a hand throttle, so the not being able to stop with brakes is not 100%.

We could also argue peddle malfunctions, slips, etc vs a clutch that will shut down the whole drivetrain. Hydros and their peddles add a variable that does not exist with clutch peddles. I just cannot see safety being a selling point or advantage, but I guess that's why they make both....different strokes for different folks!

I'm exceptionally happy that my hst has a clutch. I grew up on gear tractors, so hitting the clutch instinctively happens once in a while.

In fact, my tractor has a live PTO, but if I hit the clutch, my PTO stops. That to me is an important safety feature, since I don't have to figure out how to turn off the PTO and stop the tractor at the same time.

/ Hydrostatic trasnsmission vs. gear drive #37  
I understand the Mahindra HST has no foot clutch, however.

my Mahindra 3016 hst has a foot clutch. It gets used to start it and when you shift the 3 speed gear box.

Many Mahindra models have one.

I have spent thousands of hours on geared machines and only about 50 hours with HST's and I much prefer the HST.

Safer? I hadn't really thought about it. More precise motion, easier to use, less tedious and easier on the old legs?

Absolutely.

/ Hydrostatic trasnsmission vs. gear drive #38  
I just stepped up from a Ford Jubliee to a new Mahindra 3616HST this spring. The HST is a dream to work with a FEL. The Jubilee with the FEL was too much like work. I wouldn't go back to gears.

/ Hydrostatic trasnsmission vs. gear drive #39  
I just stepped up from a Ford Jubliee to a new Mahindra 3616HST this spring. The HST is a dream to work with a FEL. The Jubilee with the FEL was too much like work. I wouldn't go back to gears.
I have a gear drive with synchronized shuttle . It works nice.
I wouldn't want to do loader work with a Jubilee either.

/ Hydrostatic trasnsmission vs. gear drive #40  
I used a Ford 4000 with FEL and broke FEL. My biceps were bigger back then. LOL
Wedge