Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 5035 HST w/FEL and 4-way bucket;Kubota B7100HST; Ford 4110

Default Re: Hydrostatic trasnsmission vs. gear drive

My old Ford has a foot throttle, too. But when I bushhog in the woods, or any other action that requires full engine speed, I have to use the hand throttle to maintain cutting speed. @Buckgnarly, I think you mean "pedal." "Peddle" means "to sell."

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

I would say that hydro's are safer for new operators. I would not say that gear machines are less safe for experienced operators. Anyone that operates a gear machine for a number of years gets darn good at doing it. Just to be clear here, I prefer hydro machines, but I have far more hours on gear machines. Also as we get older the hydro machines are a joy instead of a chore to operate. I know when I am doing precision work up against a building, and working with people doing landscaping near the tractor, I appreciate the extra precision and safety margin of the Hydrostat.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

Quote Originally Posted by Hermio View Post
    My old Ford has a foot throttle, too. But when I bushhog in the woods, or any other action that requires full engine speed, I have to use the hand throttle to maintain cutting speed.
    Once again I don't get it.
    Why ???
    I brush mow and finish mow with my gear tractor all the time. When mowing in tight areas, on hills or around trees I simply use the foot throttle so I can speed up/slow down as needed and it mows/cuts just fine. Always in control of the machine.
    Last edited by DK35vince; 08-17-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z

Tractor
    Kioti DS3510

Quote Originally Posted by Hermio View Post
    My old Ford has a foot throttle, too. But when I bushhog in the woods, or any other action that requires full engine speed, I have to use the hand throttle to maintain cutting speed. @Buckgnarly, I think you mean "pedal." "Peddle" means "to sell."
    Yup....my thumb typing on this stupid Ipad that thinks it knows what words I want!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SEH, Ford 4500TLB, Ford 8n

Just recently learned that I don't have to step on the clutch all the way. I have a dual stage clutch. I only have to press down about 1/2 way. Nice and easy on my knee now. I'm glad I went with the gear drive.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota mx4700 HST, 2 Ford 8ns

Quote Originally Posted by Buckgnarly View Post
    Mine has a gas peddle or a hand throttle, so the not being able to stop with brakes is not 100%.

We could also argue peddle malfunctions, slips, etc vs a clutch that will shut down the whole drivetrain. Hydros and their peddles add a variable that does not exist with clutch peddles. I just cannot see safety being a selling point or advantage, but I guess that's why they make both....different strokes for different folks!
    I'm exceptionally happy that my hst has a clutch. I grew up on gear tractors, so hitting the clutch instinctively happens once in a while.

In fact, my tractor has a live PTO, but if I hit the clutch, my PTO stops. That to me is an important safety feature, since I don't have to figure out how to turn off the PTO and stop the tractor at the same time.
    Kubota mx4700, Ford 8nx2, Timberking B-20 sawmill, Farmi 351 skidding winch, tiller, mower, bale chopper, etc. F250 5 speed I6. Stihl and shindaiwa saws.

Every spring I drill 450 holes in maple trees, so I get to make about twelve cords of wood a year. Just me and the Gransfors Bruks splitting maul.

Tractor
    2014 Mahindra 3016HST

I understand the Mahindra HST has no foot clutch, however.
    my Mahindra 3016 hst has a foot clutch. It gets used to start it and when you shift the 3 speed gear box.

Many Mahindra models have one.

I have spent thousands of hours on geared machines and only about 50 hours with HST's and I much prefer the HST.

Safer? I hadn't really thought about it. More precise motion, easier to use, less tedious and easier on the old legs?

Absolutely.

US Army 1967 - 1971
    I'm glad I don't have a final Tier 4 Tractor !

Tractor
    2014 Mahindra 3616HST

I just stepped up from a Ford Jubliee to a new Mahindra 3616HST this spring. The HST is a dream to work with a FEL. The Jubilee with the FEL was too much like work. I wouldn't go back to gears.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

Quote Originally Posted by davepg1 View Post
    I just stepped up from a Ford Jubliee to a new Mahindra 3616HST this spring. The HST is a dream to work with a FEL. The Jubilee with the FEL was too much like work. I wouldn't go back to gears.
    I have a gear drive with synchronized shuttle . It works nice.
    I wouldn't want to do loader work with a Jubilee either.
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z

I used a Ford 4000 with FEL and broke FEL. My biceps were bigger back then. LOL
    Wedge
    1967 Ford 4000,Mahindra 4530 with FEL and BH, Box blade, straight blade, FEL, Rake, Bushhog, Backhoe, Jinma chipper, KKII tiller, Grapple. Mahindra 4530, with FEL and Backhoe.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234