Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .?

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .? #31  
Great feedback - thank you.

I have not seen any used Mahindras in my whole state. Not sure how far out I would need to search. So if all I can get is new, am I screwed not getting a turbo? I will work on pics.

Jim

No, that was the whole reason for recommending the 3616, That puts you at 29.5 HP and you would be fine. But if that is out of the budget, that is why I suggested used. I would not like to see you get the 3016 and then it not perform satisfactory for your needs at your elevation. And the elevation will and does make a difference, just a fact that has to be dealt with one way or another.

There was a TBN member not that long ago that went with a 3215 I think it was. Had very low hours, was like new. He had to go 3-4 states away to get it, but he seemed happy.

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .?
So you think that an 18% power loss is satisfactory??? And it's not just 18% power loss, the responsiveness, everything about not having a turbo at those altitudes makes things different. Can he get by with a 3016, you bet, just no where near as nice though.

:-( :-(

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .? #33  
I have 7 tractors at our property that is at 4100'. 3 of them do not have a turbo.:( You can tell the difference. They work,:thumbsup: just not the same.:(

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .? #34  
No, that was the whole reason for recommending the 3616, That puts you at 29.5 HP and you would be fine.

So you think that an 18% power loss is satisfactory???

The 3016 is 28 hp. Dunno if 1.5 hp is 18%, didn't do the math, but I don't think so.

I'm saying that the 3616 won't run a BH any better than the 3016, which is what the OP said that the dealer told him.

I don't think that the OP will notice any difference with the 1.5 hp difference between the 3016 and the 3616, other than the purchase price.

My opinion. I have a 3016.

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .?
Here are some pics. The good the bad and the ugly. The rectangle hole is our pit greenhouse. I need to get that nice and level so I can start building it. The pond is a big work in progress. Looks like a cinder pit right now.
The road is a mess in many places and other places I just need to maintain. I need to dig a trench on both sides for drainage during our Monsoons. I also have to level out ground for our house and clear the ground in our orchard. That I believe just needs a blade.
I realize that bigger is better and easier and faster. However we have a budget and I do not mind whittling at the road and pond over time.
Bummed that there will be a noticeable difference with my elevation and the lack of turbo option with the 3016 & 3616, unless I can find an older one for sale. But, since I have never had a tractor before maybe I will not notice :D so stop reminding me :rolleyes:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .? #36  
The 3016 is 28 hp. Dunno if 1.5 hp is 18%, didn't do the math, but I don't think so.

I'm saying that the 3616 won't run a BH any better than the 3016, which is what the OP said that the dealer told him.

I don't think that the OP will notice any difference with the 1.5 hp difference between the 3016 and the 3616, other than the purchase price.

My opinion. I have a 3016.

Ok, my mistake about the 3016 HP rating.:eek: I assumed that it was 30. So now that 28 HP tractor is only going to have just under 23hp. Yep that'll be a power house for sure.:rolleyes: And as far as the back hoe, you are right, I doubt that he would ever notice the difference. As far as ALL the ground work that has to be done, there will be a HUGE difference. Now you are talking about 23hp vs 29.5hp. Now you are talking about a 28% power difference. So now with the corrected figures, there is a 10% bigger difference. Even more of a reason to not get this HP rating that is naturally aspirated. :(

Again, just my :2cents:, I don't care one way or the other. :wave:

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .? #37  
MtnView,

Do you know of a 30 hp tractor with a turbo to reccomend to Jim?

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .? #38  
I disagree about a LPGS only being good for roads. I have used mine to even out acre sized areas many times. By far exceeds the capability of a box blade when the conditions are right.:cool:

Agree. I should have said is good for leveling in general.

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .? #39  
MtnView,

Do you know of a 30 hp tractor with a turbo to reccomend to Jim?

Without doing a bunch of research, a 3215 or 3316 Mahindra just like I have already recommended. These would have to be used as they are previous models to the 3616. As far as new models, no, I have no idea. The OP has few dealers in his area and does not seem to want to go very far to get a machine. (don't really blame him) I just hate to see him get a brand new tractor that he can afford and have it not perform well for him.

The 3016 Mahindra is a great tractor, just not so much at 6000 feet. But it may be the only option based on the limitations that he has put on himself. I would say to look at a JD 3038e, it has a turbo but the tractor has no OEM way to have a back hoe.

When there are restrictions to deal with for whatever reasons, the choices available become fewer.

Just the way it is. I wish Jim good luck. ;)

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .? #40  
We took in a used 3316 turbo last week with 25.9 hours! It had been garaged and was perfect, but it also sold the first day. They come up like that occasionally, but not often and unless you find one local to you, you simply cannot get to it before it is sold.

At your elevation, and with the added weight of a backhoe I'd also recommend the 3616. 8 more HP. But the 3016 will do the job and has adequate HP even at elevation to run the pump fine, meaning the backhoe would dig perfectly and the loader would lift fine. But pushing a pile of dirt with the bucket or other heavy ground engaging tasks will require low range, slow speed and some patience with a 3016. Still incredibly faster than a shovel and wheelbarrow.....;)