Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Default Re: Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .?

Quote Originally Posted by MtnViewRanch View Post
    You don't need to tell me about tractor weight getting things done, my 3215 weighs in at 5000+lbs, my 7520 weighs in at over 12,000lbs. I have these tractors ballasted to get the absolute maximum performance possible out of them for my working conditions. But I don't have those tractors with the smaller HP engines that were available in each of their frame sizes either. I wanted a certain size tractor, I got that tractor with the most HP available at the time and I then ballasted to be able to get the maximum performance out of each machine that was possible.

So, do you feel that 12hp tractor made full use of that 4000lbs? If the tractor would have had 40hp, how much more work could it have done in an 8 hour day? I'm not saying that this stuff can't be done with a smaller HP unit like what you use to have, and if you have all the time in the world then I guess that is fine. But there is a reason for the larger HP tractors and one of the reasons that it is so often recommended even here on TBN, get the most HP in the frame size that you are getting.

My personal opinion is that the OP has too small of a tractor for what he needs to do and get it done in what I consider a reasonable amount of time. I hope that I am wrong for his sake. What he got is all that he could afford and that's fine. At least he got something that should not run out of power for him.

Everyone operates differently, some just poke along and get stuff done at a slow even rate. Other people need to get things done at a faster rate for various reasons, so they need something with a little more power than the guy that can take his time.

Just my
    This raises a good point Mtn. Speed of work with a tractor is like speed of work with a larger welder. The 4000 lb 12 hp tractors were faster than a horse so for comparison sake, that's all people had to compare back then. This is the op's first tractor. He's going to be tickled pink because basically…he never had one so there is nothing to compare to. Whether you or anyone else thinks he's plodding along but he thinks "this is the cat's meow" becomes only pertinent to the op's experience. I hope he simply has a **** of a time on his new tractor.

Tractor
    2014 Mahindra 3016HST

I hope he simply has a **** of a time on his new tractor.

I know he will. It's a heck of a first tractor and a heck a machine at any speed.

US Army 1967 - 1971
    Freedom used to be your birth right. Now it's whatever they let you do... and usually for a fee.

Compromise is failure on the installment plan.

Show me any gun law, past, present or future, that would have prevented any of the mass shootings in this country.

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

I agree, the OP will be a HAPPY CAMPER for quite some time. He purchased a great first tractor. -
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

It's all a matter of perspective. I tell folks that if their current equipment is a shovel and wheelbarrow, then our very smallest tractor will be way faster and a joy to own. But a couple years later when they are quite proficient at operating the new tractor, folks will sometimes trade in the smaller machine for one a couple sizes larger. It is not that the small tractor got slower over a couple of years, it is that their perspective changed.
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

Quote Originally Posted by DavesTractor View Post
    It's all a matter of perspective. I tell folks that if their current equipment is a shovel and wheelbarrow, then our very smallest tractor will be way faster and a joy to own. But a couple years later when they are quite proficient at operating the new tractor, folks will sometimes trade in the smaller machine for one a couple sizes larger. It is not that the small tractor got slower over a couple of years, it is that their perspective changed.
    This is seen here on TBN all the time. Someone ends up getting 2-3 tractors in just a few years time, almost always upgrading each time.
    Brian

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

This is seen here on TBN all the time. Someone ends up getting 2-3 tractors in just a few years time, almost always upgrading each time.
    A tractor for every implement should be the goal. That is the next step in the process.....better than a quick hitch for sure!
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor

A tractor for every implement should be the goal. That is the next step in the process.....better than a quick hitch for sure!
    No, not that they had 3 tractors in the yard, just that they had to keep changing what tractor that they had due to, well, whatever reason.
    Brian

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

No, not that they had 3 tractors in the yard, just that they had to keep changing what tractor that they had due to, well, whatever reason.
    I understand what you are saying, I'm just taking it to the next level! Like some guys have a dozer for pushing dirt, a trencher for trenching, a dedicated backhoe for digging, a big tractor for big tasks, a smaller tractor for smaller tasks. You get the idea.
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor

I understand what you are saying, I'm just taking it to the next level! Like some guys have a dozer for pushing dirt, a trencher for trenching, a dedicated backhoe for digging, a big tractor for big tasks, a smaller tractor for smaller tasks. You get the idea.
    Are you accusing me of hording, being, well whatever. You know, maybe we should stop here. You know though, I sure would like to have a 16x16 power shuttle connected to a 100hp, well lets call it an 10060 cab PST built by Mahindra.
    Brian

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

Brian, I suppose you might think I was speaking about you. I didn't really name names or anything.....

I'm almost as bad. Mini-excavator for digging, track loader for bucket work, orchard tractor for mowing, trencher for trenching, chipper for chipping. Being in the equipment business suites me well! But for most folks, a "one tractor does it all" is the way to go.
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast