Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .?

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .? #1  

JimnAZ

Bronze Member
Tractor
None
Hello,

I am a newbie to this forum and a future newbie tractor owner. I stumbled upon this site while searching the Internet about tractors. I have only been reading Mahindra threads but have to say it has been very informative so far.
A couple of days ago my wife and I stopped at an equipment place that had mostly John Deere tractors. We ended up looking at the 3032E. The ones smaller than this were too small and he larger ones out of our price range. Thinking this was a pretty good tractor, I started researching it online. Found some YouTube vids on comparisons to other makes/models and this is how I came upon Mahindra and this forum.
It looks like the Mahindra 3016 is a comparable model to the JD. I realize this is he Mahindra forum, but why choose a Mahindra over the JD, and/or other manufacturers? I learned more about tractors the last couple of days than my whole life but still not very knowledgable. If anyone is willing, please help me understand why to buy a Mahindra. We live in NW Arizona and there really isn't many tractor places of any make if at all. The closest Mahindra is 4 hours away.
Our price range is around $24k if we finance, so I think the 3016 is all we can do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .? #3  
The Mahindra would be a better value in my opinion, but for long term resale the Deere (or a Kubota or other top tier brand) will carry more value. Also look into Kioti and some of the other 2nd tier brands -- they are all great values. But forget the internet discussions, you really need to test drive the tractors and get some seat time. Then factor in dealer support. That will all make the choice become a lot clearer. The best tractor will be the one that you like the most, the one that has good dealer support, and the one that fits your budget.

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .? #4  
The Mahindra would be a better value in my opinion, but for long term resale the Deere (or a Kubota or other top tier brand) will carry more value. Also look into Kioti and some of the other 2nd tier brands -- they are all great values. But forget the internet discussions, you really need to test drive the tractors and get some seat time. Then factor in dealer support. That will all make the choice become a lot clearer. The best tractor will be the one that you like the most, the one that has good dealer support, and the one that fits your budget.

Nothing to add to that, s219 gave great advise.

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .? #5  
The JD 3032E is a good comparison for the Mahindra 3016. I chose the 3016 after a long search and physically comparing all the brands. You need to sit on as many different tractors as you can. In large part I made my decision after sitting on the tractors and reaching for the controls. Each tractor will be a little different.

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .? #7  
Yes, Mitsubishi builds the 3016 for Mahindra.

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .? #8  
Welcome to TBN. Join the fun.

You select a tractor based on the jobs you want it to do.

You determine the jobs by making a 5-year plan that includes all the regular jobs (mowing, etc) and any special projects.

Then you select the implements that you'll need for your jobs. Small size implements go with small size tractors. Big implements with big tractors. Big tractors with big implements reduce the time needed for specific jobs. So you have to factor in your schedule and life style to determine how much time you'll willing to spend in your tractor seat and trade this off against your budget.

Then you go tractor shopping. You're shopping for both a tractor and a dealer. Test drive the tractors that meet your size, horsepower and any other requirements that are important to you (e.g. air conditioned cab, special work lights, type of tires, etc.).

Check out the dealer's operation, especially the service and parts department.

My Mahindra dealer (Dave's Tractors in Red Bluff, CA) is excellent. He's been in business for a long time, has excellent service and parts departments, and is local (about 25 miles from my place). Hope you're able to find such a dealer in your area. He posts regularly on TBN (DavesTractor).

I bought my Mahindra 5525 new in 2008. No problems. Just do the scheduled maintenance and get yourself a good grease gun.

Good luck.

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .? #9  
Buy for the dealer, and then find a tractor you like. The Mahindra is not a good deal if you have to wait a week or more for parts when you are in the middle of a project.

/ Why Buy a Mahindra or Mahindra vs . . . .?
Thank you everyone for your advice. I do not disagree with any of it. However, our options for any type of dealer is limited. The JD dealer where we stopped is over an hour away, and that is the closest. There are 3 Mahindra dealers in my area based on their website. 100 miles away, 290 miles away and another the next state over. So far none has replied back to my inquiry.
My options for other manufacturers are just as slim so shopping will not be fun nor convenient. This is what I was just going to go with the JD until I saw videos of the 3016. It appears to have more bang for the buck, a factory backhoe and better financing.
I guess I was just hoping for a little assurance on the 3016 that I would not be wasting my time traveling to look at one.

Thanks again
Jim