Haggling with Mahindra dealers

/ Haggling with Mahindra dealers #1  

ktoom

Bronze Member
Tractor
1966 JD300. 2005 GT245, 2014 Mahindra 4035HST
This is my first New tractor that I've ever purchased from a dealer. This may be a dumb question, but do these dealers have wiggle room to bargain when using Mahindra financing? Or do they not have that option unless your paying cash? Ive called a few dealers, multiple times and got a few different price quotes each time.... some quotes went up and some went down.

Just when I was going to commit to one dealer, I found another out of state dealer that wasn't too far away. I called him and he was $1000 lower on his price's for tractor and FEL and TLB. The prices seem to be all over the place. Whats the story guys???

/ Haggling with Mahindra dealers #2  
The "story" is everyone is paying Mahindra the same price for a given tractor. It's retail pricing however has most to do with the dealer. It's secondary pricing has to do with the financing as you are finding out. I did better in the long run with 3.84% financing than I did at 0% when I bought mine. What the dealers overhead is for his place, if some stock was purchased with "prior pricing" before any increases and the amount of product turnaround eventually govern public pricing for any particular dealer. I don't know if Mahindra throws additional monies to a dealer if sales are high or if there are "quotas" like with auto sales but I do know my dealer was given a free trip to Japan last fall and he and his co-owner went to the Mitsu factory where they build some of their tractors. He said the place was like a "hospital" that built tractors.

/ Haggling with Mahindra dealers #3  
Tractor dealers haggle on price just like car dealers. One dealer may have a tractor left over with a factory deal and can offer a lower price. Just make sure you are comparing the exact same tractor/equipment with each dealer.

Find out what savings programs Mahindra can offer you and make certain to figure that into each dealer offers it to you.

/ Haggling with Mahindra dealers
The biggest thing if found out was that Mahindra finance requires that you pay insurance, thats incorporated into your loan, incase anything happens to you and can't pay the loan. Well that adds $1200 to the tractor price. They take out roughly $15 a month to pay this.... But you still have to pay for the whole thing up front.

This annoys me that none of the dealers mentioned this to me front the get go.

/ Haggling with Mahindra dealers #5  
The biggest thing if found out was that Mahindra finance requires that you pay insurance, thats incorporated into your loan, incase anything happens to you and can't pay the loan. Well that adds $1200 to the tractor price. They take out roughly $15 a month to pay this.... But you still have to pay for the whole thing up front.

You can always try to get a loan and insurance through another source. The insurance I got when I bought my tractor on a 36 month contract cost me 226 dollars over the life of the contract.

/ Haggling with Mahindra dealers #6  

The insurance is called physical damage insurance. It is not in case something happens to you, it is the damage to the tractor and is protecting the tractor value, (loan companies interest) just like when you buy a new car the loan company requires you to carry collision coverage on the car (to protect thier interest). I try to mention this during the negotiations, but can't say I haven't forgotten to, and also I have mentioned it and either the customer forgot, or didn't hear me tell them in the first place. There is a lot going through everybodies mind in the middle of the negotiations.

/ Haggling with Mahindra dealers #7  
I went to 3 mahindra dealerd and emailed 3 other for pricing. It's amazing how close to each other the pricining was. None would budget much, if at all.

The only concession in dealing was 'ill take 500 off if you pick it up.'

/ Haggling with Mahindra dealers #8  
I saved about 10% and made the dealer throw in a free thumb to close the deal. I purchased a 2012 unit in 2013 brand new dealer stock identical to the 2013 same warranty only difference, it sat in the show room for a year.
PS Don't mention how you intend to pay until your ready to sign, I took 72 months interest free, why spend your cash thats earning when they'll give you theirs for free. I know nothings free, but they just take it from their advertising budget.

/ Haggling with Mahindra dealers #9  
PS Don't mention how you intend to pay until your ready to sign, I took 72 months interest free, why spend your cash thats earning when they'll give you theirs for free. I know nothings free, but they just take it from their advertising budget.

The dealer actually pays for most of the 0% costs. It comes right out of the proceeds from the loan, he gets shorted that amount. It may still be wise to use Mahindra's money instead of yours, but there is no real strategy that changes the numbers. Cash or standard rate gives you the lowest price. As the interest rate gets lower and approaches or hits zero, discounts go away and the unit price effectively goes up.

Some dealers price all the units at the 0% for 84 month price, but they risk people not listening to the discounts available. Those folks will think that dealer is ridiculously high, at least initially. When they hear that dealer is $19,500 for a rig and the other dealer is $17,500 for the same rig, they may not stay on the lot long enough to hear about the cash price.

Some dealers price at the cash price, so they have low pricing. But they risk people getting upset when asking for 0% because the have to factor in that cost and the price then changes upward substantially. When the customer hears that the $17,500 price goes up to $19,500 at 0% for 84 months, he is upset. I'm just making up this $2000 differential as an example, it's an arbitrary number.

Generally people are OK with losing a discount to get 0%, but they hate to pay extra for it. Yet it is the same thing. It is difficult for a dealer to maneuver, but less so if the customer states upfront how he wishes to purchase. And of course it is easier for the customer if the dealer has the price differences at his fingertips as well. Basically, there is some discussion that needs to happen. It would be simpler if there was just one price, but not everyone is at the same place in life, we need options, and options complicate things!

I will give this hint though, the 0% "up charge" factors in the financing cost for a typical sale, perhaps tractor, loader and box scraper. If you also buy a backhoe and/or otherwise load up the rig, the 0% surcharge does not go up even a penny. So even if you are prepared to pay cash, you might want to crunch the numbers on the 0% deal if you are buying a big package.

/ Haggling with Mahindra dealers #10  
When I purchased my tractor, I had the Dealer quote me all of my options in financing before I chose what worked best for me. I reccomend exploring all options.