ML5520?

/ ML5520? #1  

Raincoast

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti ds4510 / kb2485 backhoe / KL401 loader
Hi folks;
I'll be checking out a new 3616 this week, but dealer has an ML5520 with loader & Woods backhoe. Just the right package for our needs, but a bit bigger than I was initially thinking of.
It looks like this model was only available for 1 year... 2008. Anyone have experience with this model? The price is pretty good & I'm tempted. If parts are gonna be hard to find, I will leave it on the lot.
The newer Mahindra reviews look good, but I've only been able to find a couple of reviews on the ML5520.
P.S. The 5520 has 230 hrs.

/ ML5520? #2  
The model is just 5520. This is what eventually turned into the 60 series and now the Mpower Models. They made the 20 series in 65 and 75hp models for more than 4 years. On a lot of these the parts will match up between series. and 5520 parts are still available. This is a very heavy tractor and will push/pull/lift with most 65hp tractors out there. Curious is this a 4wd?

While your at the dealer check out the 40254wd. Both it and the 3616 are great models but you sacrifice the shuttle shift to get into a tractor that is twice the size for a very small $ jump. If your thinking the 3616 will do the job for you the 3016 will also.

/ ML5520?
Hi Guys;
Thanks for the excellent info from both of you. Good to know the 3016 would be as capable as the 3616... there's bound to be a $ savings for having a smaller number on the cowl.
Kneedeep... Your link to the spec sheet gave me an eye opener, for sure. 12' overall length. I think that's without the loader! Definitely a big chunk of iron!
Best I can tell, this series is all 4WD with shuttle shift. More fwd & rev speeds than I will ever use. Like I said before, might be more tractor than I need.
Have a date for a test drive tomorrow. I'll keep y'all informed. We plan to spend a day or two on "The Island" & test drive everything we can.
BTW... What are your thoughts on a 3 pt. hitch backhoe mount on the big feller? The new models all have frame mount & i feel much more comfortable with that arrangement. Lots more $ though...
Decisions, decisions! We'll know more after the test drive.
What i do know for sure is that I'd be shooting in the dark without all the great people here sharing their experience & expertise.
Wish us luck. Dan

/ ML5520? #5  
The best choice is one that will fit your needs. I have 5 acres on a lake that required a small agile 4WD to build switchbacks to reach the water and maintain them, As well as planting wildlife food plots. For me the 3510 was perfect.
After purchasing the farm in MS, I realized the 3510, a compact, was not the best choice for farming needs so I began looking and found the 5500 which is a farm tractor that would not have worked at the lake property.
I did put a backhoe on the 3510 last year to install 1000LF+ of water line, cleaning up around the property lines and ditch that meanders through the farm.
A 3PT backhoe is a light duty implement and will void the warranty on a new Tractor if any damage occurs. If you need a backhoe more than 1-2 times a year, every year- buy one. If you only need one for a few things, rent a small excavator or hire the work out. I use mine almost 1-2 times a month for something.

/ ML5520?
Kneedeep; I don't know much about tractors, but Ive been fixing equipment (mostly boats & airplanes) most of my life. The three point hoe mount looked like a bad idea to me, from the start. Thanks for confirming that notion. (I was hoping it'd be OK on the beefier 5520) I need to use the hoe as much as the loader... At least for the first couple of years.
I just got a quote for an LS 3038 that is way less than the competition... OH NO! More decisions. :confused2:

/ ML5520? #7  
:laughing: It IS a tough decision! You have got to pick the brand according to your needs and dealer availability, I chose Mahindra over Kubota and JD due to the dealer. Luckily there is a good Mahindra dealer near the farm so naturally I chose them for #2.
Most compacts are feature compatible with other brands and I personally would look for access to parts and after initial purchase purchases (as with the 509 BH).
What dealers are close enough for good dealer support?

/ ML5520? #8  
Also, when you get on the tractors to test drive, the one that feels comfortable and "fits' you best may be the one. Forget about the price and all the sales hypes and 'feel' what is best for you.
After you pick #1, 2, 3 order- then get serious about the final price. Ask for all you can, 50 HR service free, filters, rear tires loaded (with FEL purchase) AND a hat!! :thumbsup:

PS; I never got a hat for 2 tractors- MUSA owes me one!!

Last edited:
   / ML5520?
Hi Folks;
The story continues on the general buying / pricing / comparisons page.
Thanks. Dan