Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #1  

stvbird

Tractor
'92 JD 2155 4X4 w/FEL, '62 Ford 2000
I want to pay cash for a tractor with a loader. My wife and I have no interest in accruing more debt and have the cash to spend about 17k. I was originally looking at used 4wd tractors in the 40hp range with loaders, but once I saw a 4025 up close and realized how affordable they were with a loader it has made me change my mind. Most 40hp tractors with loaders with 4wd that I have seen have 1500-2000 hours on them, the tires are half gone, etc., and they still go for 13-18k. While at a local Mahindra dealer just browsing, I realized that for just about the same price ($16,400 is as low as the dealer can/will go) I can get a brand new 4025 with the loader. Now obviously I would lose the 4wd, but the 5 year warranty and having everything brand new seems pretty alluring to me. The lift strength and reach of the ML 233 on the 4025 is impressive too compared to the competition.

My day job leaves me little time to get anything done, and I'm tired of always having to spend my time tweaking on the old Ford to keep it going (although I do love it). What are your thoughts on the brand new 4025 w/loader 2wd vs. a used 40hp 4wd w/loader (various brands) for the same price?

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #2  
For a loader tractor? Save some more $$$ and bring home a 4WD later. Purchase a 2WD loader tractor now and the sweet taste of a bargain will be rapidly be exchanged for disappointment.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go.
I understand your point, for us though, 17K is all we are willing to spend, not all we can spend. We have other priorities that need funding as well so it's not really a matter of saving up. If we saved another 5K it would just go else where and getting a new tractor really is a luxury. So considering that that's the most I am willing to spend, the brand new aspect seems appealing. Would you guys rather have a 2000 hour 4wd or a brand new 2wd of the same chassis size and HP rating? And by the way, resale value isn't an issue for me. I keep things forever, so I'm looking for something that will last a long long time.

Last edited:
   / Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #4  
You have not mentioned the nature of your work ground, nor the type of work you might do with the tractor.
Industrial loader tractors have been 2WD for years, but now everything is going AWD.

A loader with appropriate rear balast on a 2WD can do a lot on flat, dry lands.
Plus, Less things to break or go wrong ;-)
Or if you can wait until a cream puff comes along on the used market.

How do you like your Mahindra dealer?

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #5  
Heavy, two wheel drive tractors have worked and performed well for decades.

Don't be pushed into something you may not need.

We used a 2 wheel drive Massey Ferguson 135 for 40 years on a 20 acre farm with very damp soil conditions 9 months our of the year. To ensure traction, we did chain the rear tires. We NEVER had a traction problem.

That Mahindra 4025 is a good machine and a GREAT value. I bet it will exceed your expectations.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #6  
There is usually a HUGE gap between what you need to get the job accomplished and what you want.

Whether you get 2WD or 4WD should be based upon - need to get the job accomplished.

The 2WD tractor does have a lot less to go wrong and if you buy one, you will find out soon enough if it should have been 4WD.

I NEED 4WD because - I plow snow in the winter, I disk & plow dirt in the summer thru some pretty soft, squishy ground, I use the FEL year round and MANY times the 4WD is necessary for me to get out of a gooey situation, I have a water filled moat that splits my property in half that only 4WD allows me to cross in the summer. The list can go on & on but you get the idea.

Spend time developing what you will want to do with a tractor - particularly in the future and buy to meet that need.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #7  
Great tractor and decision... most people looking at tractors in that hp range are looking at compacts... that is were this tractor really steps above with its added weight. even in 2wd it weighs about twice as much as any 4wd compact tractor out there and will do more work. The warranty will be a big plus and the 4cy engine in that tractor is a dream with minimum noise and a lot of low idle power. Good luck with your decision you wont regret going with the 4025

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #8  
What are your intended uses for this tractor? Always flat dry work?

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #9  
I drove a 2wd for 20 years. It did all I asked of it...in every type of situation.

I now have a 4wd, and love it. I'd never go back to 2wd again.

That said, a 2wd would still do everything I need, but the 4wd does it better.

4wd...not needed in my case... but nicer to have.

I doubt you'll be disappointed either way.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #10  
Here where I live now a 2wd tractor would be totally useless. It would literally be a an ornament at the bottom of one of my gullys. There it would stay until the wrecker came to get it to take it back to trade in for a 4WD. Now that said I used to live on a place that was mostly flat, and had a big heavy 2WD tractor with a loader. i got a lot of good out of the machine. I did swap it for a smaller 4wd tractor later but at least the tractor would work. Not as good as a 4WD tractor, but I moved a lot of dirt and gravel with it. It just depends on your terrain. The key is, if your ground is mostly flat, mostly dry, and you buy a good heavy 2wd tractor and ballast appropriately on the rear, it can do a lot. Get some chains for the winter and you may just be as happy as a pig in slop!:)