Who has a Max 24 and what are your thoughts?

/ Who has a Max 24 and what are your thoughts? #1  

mikeharold

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
We are buying 4.5 acres and am going to need a tractor. Been starting my research here and have started talking to the local dealers. The local auction yard here has just become a Mahindra dealer and has within the last week or so brought in some inventory. I stopped in yesterday to take a look and talk to them. They had a Max 24 sitting there and decided to have him quote me out on that for a comparison. Max24, loader, 60" drive over MMM, and backhoe. 0% finance price is $17500. Looks to be quite a bit less than the comparable Kubota and JD. Down side right now would be that while they stock parts and supplies, they don't have a service center yet. They are planning to have one of the local well known and established diesel equipment outfits get certified and do the service. So they haven't totally put that in place just yet.

So what are your thoughts/experience with this tractor? How does the price compare? I'm not ready yet, we don't close escrow until the first of July but am doing as much research as I can now to be ready to jump on it when the time comes. Thanks.

/ Who has a Max 24 and what are your thoughts? #2  
If you can get it for that price grab it. Sounds like someone miss quoted you and left out some of the attachments from the quote.

/ Who has a Max 24 and what are your thoughts? #3  
If you have rough terrain I'd get a larger tractor, especially tire size wise.

/ Who has a Max 24 and what are your thoughts?
Well actually I was looking at the wrong quote! That was for the tractor and FEL only......Duoh! The quote for everything is $26,100. Now that is +/- what it comes out to on their site when I build it out. Seems like he's quoting my MSRP. For that I could get either the Kubota or JD equipped the same for a bit less.

Terrain isn't too bad, quite a few squirrel holes, but nothing too dramatic.

I may either have to go down to an Emax, 1 series or BX simply due to budget. Maybe skip the BH, but have plenty of plans for it. Will have to keep shopping and looking.

/ Who has a Max 24 and what are your thoughts? #5  
i have a max 25 with bucket and midmower deck - the grass cutter i have not tried out yet - i use the bucket mostly - and i love my tractor.

no backhoe - no need for one as such.

/ Who has a Max 24 and what are your thoughts? #6  
Well actually I was looking at the wrong quote! That was for the tractor and FEL only......Duoh!

If that's the case, then $17500 is a ripoff. It's possible since they are a new dealership they don't see the need to make deals yet. But you could get a larger Kubota B with front loader for under $17500 (more like $14500-16500 depending on model), and you can certainly get a similar sized Deere 1-series in the $13000-14500 range with front loader.

It's been a few years, but when I shopped tractors in that size range, the prices for tractor and front loader were $14700 for a Kubota B2620, $14300 for a Deere 1026R, and way less -- like $12K or so, for the Mahindra (do not remember the model number at the time). A year later my neighbor bought his Max 28 for about $14K with front loader, bush hog, box blade, and a bunch of other goodies.

Anyhow, if someone told me $17500 for a Max 24 and front loader, I'da probably busted out laughing. Mahindras are supposed to be a *better* value, not worse!

/ Who has a Max 24 and what are your thoughts?
That was my thought! Would much rather go with a very established dealer that's been around here for a long time rather than deal with the growing pains if they want as much or more. Will sit down and talk to him again when it comes time though and talk seriously. Would think that they would really want to be cutting deals right off to try and establish and the fact they have to contract out their service.....which isn't actually in place yet mind you. Could be a rough learning curve for them. So now back to more reading and comparing to figure out what will suite my needs/wants best.

/ Who has a Max 24 and what are your thoughts? #8  
Too high. I paid 24k for my 3016 with loader and hoe, last July.

He wants over 2k more for a much smaller unit?

You can do better.

Last edited:
   / Who has a Max 24 and what are your thoughts? #9  
yeah I don't remember what the deck would have added to my 28, but with tax tag insurance etc etc financed out the door I was $1500 less than that for a max28hst with a FEL and a hoe. The hoe, as I recall, was a spendy little option (but an amazing thing to have), I think just the tractor with a FEL was only like 15,500. I'll dig thro my email and find the quote.

/ Who has a Max 24 and what are your thoughts? #10  
$22,500 in november 2012 financed price for my 28 with loader and hoe. there was like a $1200 rate buydown or something like that that I split with the dealer (to get 0% for 72 months), and then there was some kind of insurance policy that I got with it at that time (basically covered it for the duration of the loan-I guess I'll find out what that was worth here soon). I don't have all those numbers handy but it was right around 25 after the dust settled.

At the time, they had a MF 1710 (Which is probably a little smaller than a max 24, but maybe comparable) with loader and hoe for like 18k. it was just too small and too low to the ground for what I wanted to do, and the lead time to get one was a while too.