Tractor Sizing Going nuts trying to decide....

/ Going nuts trying to decide.... #1  

bigness

Tractor
Many
I have a weekend farm about 40 acres of hilly pasture. Need a tractor to pull a bushhog as it hasn't been cut this year and I don't like what I see. Looking for the right Mahindra to do the job. Any recommendations? Trying to stay under $25K if I can. Help!

/ Going nuts trying to decide.... #2  
Welcome to TBN!

I like my 4035 and it would do what you want. The "new" version of the 4035 is the 3540. The 1538 would also be an awesome choice out of their new lineup. Both fit the budget and the acreage, but both can easily exceed the $25k mark depending on what all is added to the base units.

Beyond that though, I really feel the need to ask; No neighbors do hay? Perhaps a neighbor would hay it for free, for free hay. Hayfields this far south are just getting their first cuts, I'd imagine up there they'll starting anytime in the next couple weeks. If it is good pasture grass, it might be a better solution than destroying it with a rotary cutter (they don't do great on grass).

If you plan on cutting it with a bushhog/rotary cutter, it is best to do it once the grass has went to seed. It allows it to reseed to replace what gets killed off by the cutter.

Running a bushhog regularly over pasture grass in an attempt to make it look like a lawn results in a lot of weeds. The blades on a rotary cutter are very thick and use a rather blunt angle on the cutting edge so they will shatter small bushes, sticks, and limbs. They more or less tear and shred the grass rather than actually cutting it. This will kill the grass. If it isn't getting tall enough to reseed itself, you must seed it or you will end up with a pasture of dandelions.

If you plan on cutting it more than 2 or 3 times per year, get a 3 point finish mower.

/ Going nuts trying to decide.... #3  
I have a weekend farm about 40 acres of hilly pasture. Need a tractor to pull a bushhog as it hasn't been cut this year and I don't like what I see. Looking for the right Mahindra to do the job. Any recommendations? Trying to stay under $25K if I can. Help!

I think Sysop brings some really good points to you on the hay and such, but I think you will be cutting yourself short at the Mahindra 1538, this is a great tractor do not get me wrong, but it may be a little small for 40 acres, if you are hoping to stay below the 25k mark, I would recommend a couple others that are a better bang for your buck from Mahindra.
I would look at the 2540 Shuttle, this a recreation of the original Mahindra 4010, but the 2540 has a bigger motor rated at 40hp, with a ton of power with the big MCRD Mahindra engine, its a heavy built 4cyl. this will keep you below 25, and get you a good easy use tractor.
Now you can also look at the 4540 and 4550 4wd with loaders and be around the same price range still below 25k, both tractors are set up the same except for the hp. both offer a gear drive 8 forward and 2 reverse trans, and heavy built frame. these replaced the famous 4025.
All three of these, will hit the price point you are looking for and can get a ton of work done!
I hope that helps!

/ Going nuts trying to decide.... #4  
No reason to brush hog 40 acres if someone will hay it. Any neighbors with horses or cows? That might be the easiest solution. I have the neighbors graze my side pasture every year. No need to waste time and fuel when you can help your neighbors out instead.

But if that's what it takes to get a tractor then by all means get a tractor!

Last edited:
   / Going nuts trying to decide.... #5  
I'm bias but I say get yourself a 2-3 yr old 4035. You will come in under budget and have all the tractor you need.

/ Going nuts trying to decide.... #6  

Do you plan to bushhog all 40 acres? How fast do you want to finish the job? Answers will size the mower which, in turn, will size the tractor.

For example, I used a 6-ft Hawkline hog and a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny 8F/2R, power steering) to mow my 7 acre hayfield (gentle slopes, mostly flat). Took about 3 hours. Cost: $19K (new).

Define "hilly". My 5525 is a platform tractor (your feet are on the floor that's located above the transmission housing) and is not a particularly low-profile design that I would feel safe mowing on very hilly land. My 1964 MF135 diesel is a straddle tractor (the transmission is between your legs, like riding a horse). Much better stability on slopes. Think safety before making your buying decision.

Good luck.

/ Going nuts trying to decide.... #7  
The 4540 4wd would be my choice with no hesitation... heavier and lift more than even the 3550 and 2555 and will keep you in the price range your wanting.. 6ft implements will be no problem. More weight to the ground, VERY simple/basic operations and easy to service. Now if your dealer has a 40254wd left DO NOT HESITATE..

/ Going nuts trying to decide.... #8  
The 4540 4wd would be my choice with no hesitation... heavier and lift more than even the 3550 and 2555 and will keep you in the price range your wanting.. 6ft implements will be no problem. More weight to the ground, VERY simple/basic operations and easy to service. Now if your dealer has a 40254wd left DO NOT HESITATE..

I'll second Novasot on this one! The 4540 all the way unless you find a leftover 4025! I have a 4025 and I'm very impressed with its capabilities! I'm amazed at its ground engaging performance.