Mahindra? Which series are Mahindra VS TYM?

/ Mahindra? Which series are Mahindra VS TYM? #1  

Helitech

Silver Member
Tractor
5220R Branson, 1256 International
My neighbor has a 2 year old 6110, by TYM. It's at the dealership again for what will probably be it's second engine with only 145 hours on the tractor. Seems like each time it took forever to get warranty approval. Is this because Mahindra is having to work through TYM? Looking for a new tractor in the next year and like the "Real" Mahindras very much. (would love a 5530 or 6530) What series are built by Mahindra and which ones are TYM?

/ Mahindra? Which series are Mahindra VS TYM? #2  
New series machines.

2500 series & M force = TYM built

3500, 4500, 5500, 60 series and M power are built by Mahindra.

/ Mahindra? Which series are Mahindra VS TYM? #3  
I thought my 4510 had a TYM engine.

/ Mahindra? Which series are Mahindra VS TYM? #4  
4510 has a Daedong. Thought the 6110 had a Mahindra-made turbo diesel.

/ Mahindra? Which series are Mahindra VS TYM? #5  
Thanks

/ Mahindra? Which series are Mahindra VS TYM? #6  
My neighbor has a 2 year old 6110, by TYM. It's at the dealership again for what will probably be it's second engine with only 145 hours on the tractor. Seems like each time it took forever to get warranty approval. Is this because Mahindra is having to work through TYM? Looking for a new tractor in the next year and like the "Real" Mahindras very much. (would love a 5530 or 6530) What series are built by Mahindra and which ones are TYM?

Looks like your series/manufacturer questions have been answered. But my goodness, 2 engines in 145 hours? We have sold a bunch of the 5010/6010/6110 tractors and have had zero engine issues. What is happening on this unit? Overheating? Dirt in the engine? Or just some mechanical failure?

/ Mahindra? Which series are Mahindra VS TYM?
It's a bit of a long story. His first few weeks of ownership a radiator tank ruptured, tractor ran warm and he shut it off. ( Not water spewing out hot, just warm) Replaced the radiator and everything was OK. The next spring he did a little clipping and drug the driveways then took it to the dealer for servicing. At some point at the dealership the tractor ran hot, started smoking badly and dropped water in a cylinder. They changed the story as to what happened no less than 3 times and stopped returning calls after the tractor was down for over over 5 months! They wanted to blame the owner and it took an attorney's letter to get things going again and the tractor repaired. A new engine was installed. After getting the tractor home it would occasionally lose water and sometimes would smoke on startup. Clipping with the air conditioner on would make it overheat. He took it to another more responsive dealer to have this checked and they found it's getting compression into the coolant system. They pulled the head and inspected and replaced the head gasket, still has the same problem. Now they are asking for help from Mahindra. The tractor has not been abused at all.

/ Mahindra? Which series are Mahindra VS TYM? #8  
It's a bit of a long story. His first few weeks of ownership a radiator tank ruptured, tractor ran warm and he shut it off. ( Not water spewing out hot, just warm) Replaced the radiator and everything was OK. The next spring he did a little clipping and drug the driveways then took it to the dealer for servicing. At some point at the dealership the tractor ran hot, started smoking badly and dropped water in a cylinder. They changed the story as to what happened no less than 3 times and stopped returning calls after the tractor was down for over over 5 months! They wanted to blame the owner and it took an attorney's letter to get things going again and the tractor repaired. A new engine was installed. After getting the tractor home it would occasionally lose water and sometimes would smoke on startup. Clipping with the air conditioner on would make it overheat. He took it to another more responsive dealer to have this checked and they found it's getting compression into the coolant system. They pulled the head and inspected and replaced the head gasket, still has the same problem. Now they are asking for help from Mahindra. The tractor has not been abused at all.

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like the over heating problem remains for some reason and has damaged the second engine. I hope they get it figured out.

One thing I have noticed, when you get an air conditioned cab tractor you tend to work through the heat of the day, and can run the tractor for hours on end. On an open station tractor, when it is 110-115 (yes, we see those temps here) you would take a break and get back on the tractor in the evening. But with a cab tractor, you just turn the AC up a notch. Then as you mow, you are putting a decent load on the engine, which warms it up a bit. Then you have the AC running, and that heat is also trying to dissipate out in front of the radiator. You have a ton of heat coming in the glass, unless you have tinted your windows. Combine that with clippings filling up the spaces on the radiator and the AC condenser, and you have enough things working against you to cause an overheat situation if the condenser and radiator are not kept really clean. A hot condenser will not provide cool enough AC, and the compressor them works itself to death trying to cool the cab...which produces more heat and so on.

But none of what I have said above should be a surprise to any tractor company. These are not cars. Much of the USA is hot and dry during the summer. I think a manufacturer needs to create a radiator and a condenser that has a little larger spacing so as to not trap tiny bits of crud as it goes through these components. These really tight cores with fine spacing are the bomb in a laboratory setting where they can super efficiently transfer heat, but as soon as they clog, they are pretty much worthless to shed heat. Or they need to be able to screen the stuff out adequately before it gets to the radiator and condenser. Or like we see on some construction equipment, they need a reversible fan that occasionally reverses to self clean the air flow path. There are options to make AC work better in a farm setting I think.

I think I got off subject a little. But hopefully this will remind folks to do their best to keep things clean and let the air flow properly so they do not overheat. I'm not sure that is the problem with the 6110 described in the original post, it may be unrelated. But that is the common issue on overheating tractors. Almost always the radiator is clogged on the air side.

/ Mahindra? Which series are Mahindra VS TYM?
Something like my old 1256 International has a proper radiator. 25% of it can be clogged and it'll still cool the tractor. Just about all new tractors have a tiny radiator to me.

/ Mahindra? Which series are Mahindra VS TYM? #10  
Something like my old 1256 International has a proper radiator. 25% of it can be clogged and it'll still cool the tractor. Just about all new tractors have a tiny radiator to me.

Yep, I had an old Ford 4600 orchard tractor and I mowed with it all the time. It had an old school radiator with really wide fin spacing, and it was larger than it "needed" to be. Crud just sailed right through, it never clogged. I am sure it was nowhere near as efficient as these new radiators. But no radiator is efficient if you can't keep it clean.