Historic Day!

/ Historic Day! #1  

Uncle Hulka

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2555 HST, 2555L FEL
Excuse the melodramatic title, but for me, it's entirely justified.

[this is a long post. You may want to visit the bathroom first ;) ]

Today, after weeks of researching, studying, comparing and a significant amount of stress, I ordered my very first brand new tractor!!!

Oh man, am I excited about this! I've had lots of tractors and with one exception, all were antiques. All different colors too. A Case VAC, Farmall Super M-TA, Ford 4000 (with a Select-O-Speed that actually worked) to a Deere 820 Black Dash (w/Pony Engine). My last was a 2000 Deere 4300 w/FEL & Backhoe that I sold that earlier this year and almost immediately started to miss. That tractor got me through one of the snowiest New England winters I can remember (including the Blizzard of '78). It didn't take me long to realize that if we had another winter like the last one, God forbid, I would needed another tractor.

When I heard about Mahindra's attractive financing plans, I started to consider buying a brand new tractor. The more I researched, the more I liked what I learned about Mahindra tractors. They have a really solid reputation. Due to a lack of Mahindra dealers in my immediate area, I have never seen one, except on the internet. The more I read about their tractors and their great 'more bang for your buck' value, the more I realized I wanted one.

I started looking at the eMaxx and MaxXL line, but they were way to small for my 6'2" frame. I then started to explore the 1533/1538 series. They were definitely a more substantial tractor and I was impressed by the test rides I took on each. Because one it's primary tasks would be for snow removal, I would need a snowblower.

This is where it gets good!

To add either a rear 3-pt or a front-mount would add another $5K or $6K, respectively (including adding the required rear remote or mid-pto). What was really frustrating for me, was that sitting in my barn, was a Erskine ES2400 73" Quick Attach snowblower and custom 30-gal, 3-pt, pto-driven, hydraulic pump/reservoir (plus everything to install and operate). It is in absolute perfect condition, having only been used a total of 2 times before I bought it. A friend who knows his way around tractors far better than me, installed this monster onto my JD 4300. It was way to much for that tractor. The hydraulic pump wanted 45hp from the PTO. I could only give it about half that. Heck, even the weight of the blower itself, at 1,100 lbs, was at the limit of the loader's lift capacity. I used it for one small storm and as long as I crawled along and stopped every few feet, it would throw snow 40+feet, but no way would it work in real snow. A week later we removed it from the tractor and I stored it in my barn, finishing the season with a SSL snow blade.

But now, back to Mahindra.

I knew the the 1538 would be too small for the Erskine, but as I researched other models, I found the 2555. Its loader had more than enough lift capacity to handle the blower, and the 42+ PTO horsepower would be sufficient to run the pump/reservoir. The best part is that it cost about the same amount of money to move up from the 1538 to the 2555 HST, as it would to outfit the 1538 with a 3-pt blower with hydraulic chute + remote! Plus, I won't have to drive backwards!!!!

Today, I placed my order! The dealer had 2555's on their lot, but only with cabs or shuttle; no HST models. He searched around, but no other dealers in the area had any either. He told me if it was ok with me, he could order a brand new one as a 'SOLD' unit and it should be here late next week. 'OK with me?' Seriously? Of course! I'd be happy take a brand new one that hasn't been sitting outside on the lot for the last few months. Not that sitting outside would hurt the tractor at all, but I like the idea of have a brand new tractor built just for me. Specifics:

2555 HST
55HP Turbo, Intercooled mCRD Tier IV Final
2555L Front End Loader
R4 Industrial Tires (loaded)

I've never had anything brand new, except for a new Minivan my wife and I bought back in '92. All my cars and equipment have been used because that's what we could afford. I'm pretty sure this will be my last tractor. I'm hoping I made a wise choice and will go out in style!

I would like to hear your opinions on my choice. Thanks for reading my first post. I promise, they won't all be this long!

/ Historic Day! #2  
:cool2::dance1:.......

/ Historic Day! #3  
Congrats! so far I am very pleased at my new mahindra too! Glad I went tthat route even though the semi-local dealer is shabby. so my servicing has to be done at a decent distance from me with a more stable and reputable mahindra dealer.

/ Historic Day!
Thanks, BlackOps! I looked at the Maxx 28XL and to be honest, it was impressive, especially for the price. But it was just a bit small for my size. I took one for a test drive and it had a surprising amount of power for its size. I liked it, but it just wasn't a good fit for me. Glad to hear you're happy with yours!

As soon as I have something to report on my 2555, I'll post it here. Until then.........sleepless nights.

/ Historic Day! #5  
Great choice in my opinion! Got a 2555 hst a few months back and have been impressed. Good luck with yours!

/ Historic Day!
Hey, akax50! Hi to a fellow 2555 owner. Glad to hear you are happy with yours. This is a huge investment for me and while I'm sure I made the right choice, I still feel nervous. I like to restore old musclecars and I know my way around engines of the 60's, but these new tractor engines are totally hi-tech. I hope I won't ever have to do much more than see that they're properly maintained.

Any observations or insights on your 2555? Things to watch out for?

/ Historic Day! #7  
I understand your nervousness as I went through the same when trading a very new green tractor for the Mahindra.
The only problem we have had was a slight leak on both axle housings where they bolt to the transmission. Dealer actually has it now to repair.
We have a backhoe on ours and the loader has enough power to lift the rear tires even with the added weight of the backhoe. Probably need to get rear tires loaded as well.
We work all our equipment very hard with different operators and we are all impressed with the Mahindra.
You can rest easy with your choice of tractors!

/ Historic Day!
Thanks for the reply and opinion, akax50. Seems like axle tube leaks are not uncommon. I really hope I don't have similar problems, as getting it to the dealer will not be easy. I'm hoping since it's a new build, any manufacturing revisions to address the problem will have been implemented by now. Must cost Mahindra a pretty penny to cover the repairs under warranty.

I should be picking it up next Saturday (hopefully). I'll update the thread and try to remember to take pictures.

Thanks!

/ Historic Day! #9  
Uncle Hulka - the reason i got the 25 max was that that is all i needed and also that would fit nicely around here and my pathways. A larger model wold be overkill and a waste of money. just a point of clarification. :)

/ Historic Day!
Oh, I understand, BlackOps. You don't use a sledge hammer for finishing nails. I was genuinely impressed by what the Max tractors could do. For me, physically, they were just too small. In a lot of ways, I wish I could have used a Max. I sure would have save a lot of green.

I would love to see a picture of yours in action!