Does 4WD Make That Much Difference

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #21  
I had already dug out a pretty steep ramp and after loading up the FEL, I tried to back up the ramp

like this?
Web%20IMG_20150524_172938582.jpg

I wouldn't have even considered it with my old 2wd tractor.

OP,
I've done many things I would never have attempted with my old 2wd. Moving snow is like night and day between 2wd/4wd.

Even in a field, a smaller 4wd will work as well or maybe better than a larger 2wd.

I agree with the poster who asked why anyone makes a 2wd anymore.

Remember, the word tractor comes from traction, and 4 wheel traction is better than 2 wheel traction every time.

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #22  
One difference between 2wd and 4wd is...when you get a 4wd stuck...it's really stuck...!

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #23  
I like to look at it this way. 4wd is better then twice 2wd. On a 2wd the rear wheels have to propel themselves as well as push the fronts. On a 4wd every wheel looks after itself. It would be like trying to carry another person through deep snow rather then each of you walking on their own.
Yes! Think of the lack of effectiveness and efficiency pushing front wheels that are partially sunk into tillage. Think about the front wheels pushing a log instead of just climbing over.

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #24  
Dollar for dollar, for field work 2WD will win unless you致e got some really hilly fields. $20k should buy a nice 65hp 6-7000 lb 2wd that would be twice the tractor for something like plowing compared to my tractor with a gear drive. It would probably drag around my 7 box blade better too on less than 10 deg slopes. I would never take that 2wd tractor on to the slopes or into the woods like I do with my tractor though. If you get some rear wheel weights, chains for the winter, and always keep it out of the soft spots, 2wd would be fine. If you make a mistake though, you値l need help to get it out.

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #25  
Remember, the word tractor comes from traction, and 4 wheel traction is better than 2 wheel traction every time.
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Great point! If you have hills, 4WD is a no brainer. Or in other words, if you plan to operate on hills with a 2WD you have no brains. Of course you got to do with what you got, but since you are considering what to get... the answer is easy at least IMO.

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #26  
One difference between 2wd and 4wd is...when you get a 4wd stuck...it's really stuck...!

4WD is not enough, even with chains.

I've saved a lot of time and money having that 10' hoe on the back of my tractor, not just for digging.

When you get 4WD stuck or have to pick the machine over a stone wall or cross a ditch, the hoe and bucket can lift you over or out of a lot of nasty stuff.

Not for the timid or inexperienced, don't try this at home. Safer to get help.

Only once I have need my track hoe to save my L39.

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #27  
I started off with a 2 wheel drive Gravely. I added dual wheels to it to get up our back hill. Still, it was a skidding hazard going downhill. Hard to handle, too, on the side of the hills.

4wd is so much better and safer on hills.

Ralph

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #28  
Yes! Think of the lack of effectiveness and efficiency pushing front wheels that are partially sunk into tillage. Think about the front wheels pushing a log instead of just climbing over.

Dollar for dollar, for field work 2WD will win unless you致e got some really hilly fields. $20k should buy a nice 65hp 6-7000 lb 2wd that would be twice the tractor for something like plowing compared to my tractor with a gear drive. It would probably drag around my 7 box blade better too on less than 10 deg slopes. I would never take that 2wd tractor on to the slopes or into the woods like I do with my tractor though. If you get some rear wheel weights, chains for the winter, and always keep it out of the soft spots, 2wd would be fine. If you make a mistake though, you値l need help to get it out.
Thats the thing. What you are winning is dependent. -- 2wd will be less fuel efficient in tillage where the tractor must run over disturbed ground. If theres a lot of that work the extra fuel cost adds up to significant $.

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #29  
like this?
Web%20IMG_20150524_172938582.jpg

I wouldn't have even considered it with my old 2wd tractor.

OP,
I've done many things I would never have attempted with my old 2wd. Moving snow is like night and day between 2wd/4wd.

Even in a field, a smaller 4wd will work as well or maybe better than a larger 2wd.

I agree with the poster who asked why anyone makes a 2wd anymore.

Yes similar to that but steeper perhaps 40-45 degrees but the ramp is only about 2 feet long. I wanted a sharp edge to the water line when full so it gets deep quickly to avoid so much weed growth around the edges.

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #30  
Thats the thing. What you are winning is dependent. -- 2wd will be less fuel efficient in tillage where the tractor must run over disturbed ground. If theres a lot of that work the extra fuel cost adds up to significant $.
There is a reason that most large Ag tractors now are 4 WD. Loss of Traction even 10% more than a comparable 4 WD tractor will cost you in fuel much more than the cost of the tractor when you consider the thousands of hours farmers put on tractor per year. 200 HP tractors might burn 200+ gallons of fuel per day so even saving 10% = 20 gallons at lets say $3 per gallon (fuel will eventually go back up from the $2.25 per gallon now), so $60 per day. Farm tractors will run at least 180 days per year or more if farmers double crop. So a 50% duty cycle so over $10,000 per year cost difference