Please Help My Friend Pick a 40-45 hp. Mahindra....

/ Please Help My Friend Pick a 40-45 hp. Mahindra.... #1  

My Hoe

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3000HSDCC, BH77, 5' Belly Mower, 6' Hyd. Angle Plow
Hi all,

First, I apologize for the weird spacing/tabbing--the site really screwed up the Word doc I drafted this in, originally.

I'm a Kubota person, but my friend and neighbor is in the market for a Mahindra, but he's too busy to get on the computer, and he's not a computer person--literally he's too busy farming, and contracting.

But he's a GREAT guy, and a GREAT friend.

So, I offered to put up a post here, for opinions on the general range of available Mahindras (new and used), as I'm sure the esprit de corps" of TBN'ers, in general, and among Mahindra owners in particular, is just as strong as it is in the Kubota forums.

So, my friend has a 50+ acre farm, hundreds of chickens, a few horses, goats, and does a lot of haying. He currently has an older, 80+ h.p., 4x4, cabbed tractor, which he hopes to keep, but might have to trade. He just wants something smaller, and more manageable, as his current tractor is (literally) 9 tall! LOL

So he wants a Mahindra (new or possibly used) in the 40-45 h.p. range, and 4x4.

His current tractor is a gear-drive, and he does not seem interested in hydrostatic tractors, though I plan to suggest he consider one.

He has other business obligations, in addition to his farm, so he needs a tractor for WORK, one that's reliable, and (hopefully) trouble-free.

The use will be mixed, but definitely will include brush hogging, pulling hay wagons, the manure spreader, etc.... Not sure if he plans to mow or not with it.....

He was not aware of the DPF/Tier 4 complications that have hit the industry recently, but I will make him aware of this article, as it relates to Mahindra, at least:

Ahead of the Curve: Small Tractor OEMs Embrace Tier 4 -

Ahead of the Curve: Small Tractor OEMs Embrace Tier 4 | 2014-10-01 | Farm Equipment

But I have a few questions for the assembled, on my friend's behalf:

Specifically:

1. Since he wants a cabbed tractor, and is not (currently) interested in hydrostatic drives, can anyone recommend specific model numbers of gear-drive, cabbed Mahindras in the 40-45 hp. range?

2. What would the hydrostatic alternative models be, in Mahindra's 40-45 hp. range?

3. What is the lifting capacity of the Mahindra's FELs in this range?
a) Is it measured weirdly, the way Kubota does it, e.g., "...24 behind the pins..."? Whatever that means? Or is it readily understandable?

b) What are the relevant model numbers of Mahindra's FELs, in this range?

c) Is there some coherency to Mahindra's FEL ratings, that is easily understandable? For instance, in Kubota-world, the number
on the boom of the FEL corresponds to how many KILOGRAMS the FEL will lift (though I've found DEALERS who didn't know this--WTH?

But, again, Kubota's online-specs (used to) rate my LA403 FEL's lifting capacity as "...behind the pins..", as opposed to how my B3000's LA403 FEL actually Manualactually states it, coherently, as so many pounds "...at the middle, bottom of the bucket...."

4. ARE THERE MAHINDRA MODELS TO AVOID, and if so, why?
a) The above question is relative to the 40-45 hp-class my friend is interested in.

5. Are there specific features/options on 40-45hp. Mahindras that are especially desirable? (For instance, my Kubota B3000 is not just a cabbed tractor, but has a a "Cold Cab," which just means it's got a rear window defrost, rear washer/wiper, etc, ain additon to A/C and heat.

6. How has Mahindra's total engine redesign, to meet the Teir IV regs., panned out? (Please see the article, linked above, for details on
Mahindra?s MAJOR engine redesign, to meet the Tier IV regs.).

a. Have there been any teething problems with Mahindra compliance with Tier IV emissions requirements? If so, please, kindly, specify models, years and problems.

7. How is the PARTS situation, in terms of price/wait time/availability, with Mahindras,
as opposed to some of the more established brands?

8. One More Question: My understanding has been that, dollar-for-dollar, Mahindras weigh (significantly?) more than the same-horsepower Kubota, can LIFT MORE (FEL-wise) and are HEAVIER than comparable brand's horsepower models. Are these three generalizations still true?

9. That's probably enough for now, but re: anything I failed to ask and SHOULD know, since I want to be a good friend, please educate me.
You can't hurt my feelings--as long as you are civilized--LOL--as I know very little about Mahindras.

Thank you all--you are doing my friend a great service!

Sincerely,

My Hoe

/ Please Help My Friend Pick a 40-45 hp. Mahindra.... #2  
Why is your friend only interested in Mahindras? Why not open it up to all brands and get what best suits his needs and budget? What were the criteria that made him decide it has to be 40-45 hp? Is he looking for a 40-45 hp CUT or a 40-45 hp utility tractor? Is he looking for 40-45 PTO hp or engine hp?

Some of your questions above can be quickly answered by visiting the MahindraUSD website. No need to list out the machines and specs here.

Since he wants a gear cab a 3540 cab PST is the only tractor currently in the Mahindra lineup with gear, cab and 40-45 engine hp.

/ Please Help My Friend Pick a 40-45 hp. Mahindra....
Why is your friend only interested in Mahindras? Why not open it up to all brands and get what best suits his needs and budget? What were the criteria that made him decide it has to be 40-45 hp? Is he looking for a 40-45 hp CUT or a 40-45 hp utility tractor? Is he looking for 40-45 PTO hp or engine hp?

Some of your questions above can be quickly answered by visiting the MahindraUSD website. No need to list out the machines and specs here.

Since he wants a gear cab a 3540 cab PST is the only tractor currently in the Mahindra lineup with gear, cab and 40-45 engine hp.

gladehound,

Thank you for your prompt response. The portion I "bolded" in your (quoted) response, above, gives me the starting point I was looking for--much appreciated!

In answer to your first question, I think my friend is primarily focused on Mahindra's due to their reputation as being less-expensive than the competition, while offering as good or better performance.

To you, and all: is that still a generally-true statement? I see, from the Mahindra website, that the loader that comes with the 3540 I "built," lifts 2,700lbs., which I think is pretty amazing.

Re: your next question, i.e., why 40-45hp., I do know he wants something smaller, more maneuverable and NOT 9' tall (literally, LOL, like his current 85 hp, 4x4) which does require a fairly tall "hike" to climb up into. But beyond that, I honestly don't know the answer, other than to add that he's been farming all his life, and I suspect he has his reasons, in terms of how much hp he needs to brushhog, etc....

Thank you for your suggestion I go to Mahindra's website. I did so, and "built" this, for $46,150.:
| BYO Mahindra

However, I cannot see, anywhere, whether or not Mahindra's cabs are either heated or AIR CONDITIONED. Can anyone clarify that and tell me where I missed that? (I looked under "Features" and there's no mention of it. I didn't watch much of the 6 min. video, comparing Mahindras to the competition, because they were comparing open-station tractors, and he wants a cab--plus I'm real pressed for time right now--I'll watch it later).

So...can anyone comment on any problems associated with Mahindra's decision to completely redesign their engines (per the article I linked to in my first post) to comply with the Tier IV requirements?

The reason I asked is, there's been a fair bit of "hand-wringing" about Tier 4 compliance in Kubota-world, in terms of it allegedly adding $2-4,000. to the price of new tractors, and people not wanting to have DPF (Diesel Particulate Filters) and possibly catalytic converters (not sure about that last one, but I thought the higher-horsepower Kubotas were supposed to have cats, as well).

IOW, people were concerned about the added cost/complexity, and the possibility that there'd be "...more stuff to go wrong, down the road." But, from my quick read of the "specs" on Mahindra's site, they clearly state that their machines (in this 40 hp. class, at least, have NO DPF, OR "regeneration" devices, which I consider a big "plus." Link: http://mahindrausa.com/sites/default/files/tractor/pdf/22001%20MAH543500%20010915_2.pdf

From the above, I see that the FEL that comes with the 3540 PST can lift 2,700 lbs. which is pretty amazing. The small part of the video I watched showed that spec, and compared it to other brands' lift capacities, all of which were lower, but I'm not familiar enough with the Kubota FEL models the video lists to say whether or not it was a fair comparison.

I will say 2,700 lbs. is a LOT more lift than the roughly 880lbs. of my B3000's LA403 loader (which, admittedly, is only a 30hp. tractor). However, Kubota's less-expensive (than my "Premier B" series B3000) L-series Kubotas will outlift the B3000 by a significant amount, so I'm not sure how "fair" Mahindra's video-comparison is, but clearly, 2,700lbs lift is a LOT.

Anyway, gladehound, thanks again and, to everyone else, I hope others will feel free to "jump in" with suggestions and/or any known problems/issues, plus follow up on gladehound's excellent suggestion to look at other brands--specific models of other brands would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,

My Hoe

/ Please Help My Friend Pick a 40-45 hp. Mahindra.... #4  
Nothing against Mahindra, they are great tractors, (My previous tractor was a Mahindra). You might have your friend check out LS XR4000 and XR4100 premium series cab tractors. They have heat and A/C, rear remotes and many other standard features and lower cost. More than 2700# loader lift.
XR-Series « LS Tractor USA

/ Please Help My Friend Pick a 40-45 hp. Mahindra.... #5  
I second George's recommendation to look at LS and I will add Kioti to that list. It is my opinion, that LS and Kioti give you the most value for your money when comparing capabilities, quality and features. I did look at Mahindra last year when I was shopping for a ~45hp tractor. I like some of their models a lot. However, I thought they were too expensive for what I was getting. I also looked at the JD 5000 series but became concerned about reliability. I ended up with a left over 2013 Kioti DS4510HS for ~$20K and that included the loader (which by the way also lifts more than 2700 pounds to full height). However, the DS series wouldn't work for your friend because there is no cab. you have to go with the NX to get gear in a cab model and the NX is more expensive. I've seen NX45 with cab and loader and HST for $27K on Tractorhouse - gear should be slightly less expensive if you can find one. The loader on the NX is the same as mine and lifts over 2700 pounds to full height as well. Note, that the 60hp version of the same tractor is the same size.

I'll also mention that there don't seem to be too many 45 hp cab tractors with gear. A cab is a premium option typically found on premium models and most premium models are sold with HST. Not saying they aren't out there, just harder to find. Below is a link to the Kioti web site.

Kioti Tractors | Run Ahead of the Pack

/ Please Help My Friend Pick a 40-45 hp. Mahindra.... #6  
My Hoe,

You said your friend does farming and contracting.

Contracting wise consider the L39 or L45 Kubota. (used) or JD 110 I think Kubota is the more reliable.

They easily lift 2,200 full height, more than 3,000 off ground. They are studier than ag. machine as they have a integral sub-frame , Loader is not removable, Has SSQA. Not a great farm tractor, heavy, so-so 3 Pt. BH removal is pain etc.
BH is remarkable, engine not the peppiest beast out there, but lots of torque for the HP output. Very maneuverable. Tiny for what they will do.

/ Please Help My Friend Pick a 40-45 hp. Mahindra.... #7  
I just pulled the trigger on a 2555. Mine is 55HP, open station and hydrostatic but I know that it comes with shuttle shift and a cab because my dealer has one on his lot. They have a 40hp version (2540) but I believe it is open station only. I was directly comparing the Mahindra to Kubota MX5200 and the Mahindra had better Engine HP, 3pt capacity, & loader capacity and only slightly worse PTO HP (33 vs 31.6 for hyrdrostatic)